350 husky upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My 350 was loaned out and the muffler was lost,so now with the new muffler the bolts back out from vibration. I peened the edge of the bolt holes with a punch and they seem to have stopped backing out. I had seen the bigger bore kit for this saw but guys have said they are no good. The search function does not seem to work on my computer for some reason,so if anyone has any links to 350 threads instead of responding that would be great. I love this little saw for limbing . I also am running a great modded 372 and a soon to be modded 394.

You can buy a muffler support bracket cheap from China on eBay for the pro saws in this series. Between that and Loctite your muffler bolts that should be a non issue. Besides the piston option presented above for about $105 you can bolt on a piston and cylinder from a 346xp. Be warned though, your larger saws will suddenly see much less use...

@Mattyo did extensive testing with this saw and the many available cylinders. Provided you aren't doing porting as well I wouldn't say it would be feasible to put a new cylinder on just for kicks. Do a muffler mod, advance the timing, and use narrow kerf chain and your saw should cut very well.

The easiest mod for the 350 is to install a 353 piston.....goes from a low compression dished piston to a high compression flat top one...

Doesn't this only work with the later 45mm versions? Is it safe to assume a stock one is 45mm if it has a bulb and 44mm if it doesn't have the bulb? Of course, it's easy to look for 45L printed on top of the cylinder.

Yes definitely only the 45MM ones....
My father in-law has a tired 350 (no primer bulb). So is it just the Piston size that is different? So a 45mm Piston and cylinder kit would work? Or do the 44mm saws have other differences that would prevent the 346xp Piston and cylinder from working... Thanks!

Any cylinder and piston from that family will fit on any saw in that family. With that being said I believe one of the lower cooling fins on a 346 cylinder needs to be ground down just a bit to fit on the plastic cased saws.

Any cylinder and piston from that family will fit on any saw in that family. With that being said I believe one of the lower cooling fins on a 346 cylinder needs to be ground down just a bit to fit on the plastic cased saws.
Great! Thanks!

What cyl's are you guys considering? OEM 346xp NE or which aftermarket?

I was confused as heck when I first looked at the AM cyl's that show 346 in the listing on ebay. Took a while to learn the differences between the two open port designs from the closed port 346 cyl.

I had Carl build a 345 into a 346OE. I wanted a 45 cc saw otherwise I'd suggest the NE 346 if you just want to maximize power.

One of the AM cylinders in Mattyo's test actually cut a bit faster than the NE 346 cylinder. YMMV though.

Lots of good info in your vids, Mattyo. The only thing missing is how the later model with a 353 piston compares.

I was perfectly happy with my 350 for eight years until last fall when I installed the flat top, base gasket delete, mm, and some mild porting. I couldn't believe the difference in power. Just curious how it would compare to the 346.

Lots of good info in your vids, Mattyo. The only thing missing is how the later model with a 353 piston compares.

I was perfectly happy with my 350 for eight years until last fall when I installed the flat top, base gasket delete, mm, and some mild porting. I couldn't believe the difference in power. Just curious how it would compare to the 346.
With all other variables being equal, a boost in compression will provide a small boost in power. Somewhere in the chainsaw forum is a discussion that showed data on the % of HP increase for % of compression boost.

I do not know if the 353 piston would alter timing numbers which of course may change power output as well. Hopefully someone more technical than me can comment on that

Timing doesn't get affected I don't think. The comp does.

Same head ....45mm pseudo open port.

Earlier 350s had a 44mm open port top

I think the 350 was de tuned so that the 353 could be the upgrade....then step to 346xp....why the head diameter was lower who knows.... 44.3mm

Timing doesn't get affected I don't think. The comp does.

Same head ....45mm pseudo open port.

Earlier 350s had a 44mm open port top

I think the 350 was de tuned so that the 353 could be the upgrade....then step to 346xp....why the head diameter was lower who knows.... 44.3mm
So if I see things correctly, the 351 and early 350 were both 44mm bore, and the later 350 as well as 353 were 45mm bore? Or were some of the 351's 45mm as well? Of course the NE 346 is the oddball 44.3.

there are other cylinders in the series.... just to mess everyone up.

I think the 340 has the open port head with an integral riser block. 44mm

the oe 346xp has a 42mm head, closed quad port.

what boggles me is why anyone would make an aftermarket cylinder that is anything but the 346xp 44.3 head. if you are going to copy something, copy the best example, rather than making a 44mm open port top end as an aftermarket piece. I'm not convinced they are easier to cast.

hyway got smart though, their am 346xp top end is 45mm. which means you can also fit a meteor 353 flat top piston on there if you want. or any of the 45mm am pistons. makes more sense than this 44.3 nonsense that Mahle had to come up with lol.

just my opinion though.

Back