357XP or MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktoom

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I sell firewood as a side job. I have been running a husqvarna 49 and a stihl 029 for about 5 years. They have both ran great, but I think its time to upgrade. I am undecided on getting either a MS-361 or a 357 XP? I recently purchased a Husqvarna 359 and i thought it was just only a little bit better than my 029, so I just sold it to a friend and got my money back. Im leaning more toward the MS 361. I already have 2 044's(for the really big stuff or for play), so i like alot of power....to bad one of them blew up the other day. I might replace it with a 372 XP....baileys has accouple left with the wrap-around handles. I appreciate any impute.:greenchainsaw:

Do a search here and you will find lots and lots of reading material on both saws. If I remember right, the 361 has a wider power band than the 357.

Ian

Welcome to ArboristSite

The ms 361 is very popular here. The 357XP is also a good saw. The 372XP is the cat's meow. I was wondering if you tried modding your muffler on the 359 before you gave up on it.:givebeer:

Nope, would it have mad my saw much more lively? I wish i knew about this site sooner. I hate to say it but i might buy the 372 XP at baileys cuz its practically the same price as a new MS 361......even though the 372 XP doesn't come with a bar, from baileys. I have plenty of bars that will work.

The new 372XPW has the 375K topend cylinder with reworked transfers more like the stock 372 topends. So you are actually getting more cc's in this saw.
Here is what Baileys says, (372XPW w/ full wrap handlebar

This 74.66cc (4.55 cubic inches) is loaded with features including side mounted chain adjuster, Air Injections air filtration system and Smart Start compression release for easy starting. 372XPW also has a transparent fuel tank and LowVib anti-vibration system. Bar and chain are sold separately.

Never ran a 361 yet, but happy with the 357 that i do have. Only thing i dislike on the 357 so far is the bar adjuster is a pain.

ktoom said:
Nope, would it have mad my saw much more lively? I wish i knew about this site sooner. I hate to say it but i might buy the 372 XP at baileys cuz its practically the same price as a new MS 361......even though the 372 XP doesn't come with a bar, from baileys. I have plenty of bars that will work.

If you like lively the 7900 is in the general weight range. Mine eats my 371 alive in bigger wood. (both stock) Same bar as huksies,

Still looking for a muffler modded 7900 to run against in my neck of the woods for general info.

Chances are if you were not happy with the 359, the 357 is going to do little for you. Yes a muffler mod at the minimum would have woken that 359 up. I think you need to follow your feelings on the 372, or the 7900 that was mentioned.

ktoom said:
Nope, would it have mad my saw much more lively? I wish i knew about this site sooner.
The difference is dramatic. You can also have your saws "woods ported" which along with opening up the muffler will be very impressive. There are a number of saw builders we can refer you to who can fix you up.:rockn:Be careful. This site can be very habit forming. A side affect is uncontrollable desire for more saws.:givebeer:

I already have 5 saws and more to come. What r some companies that sell the modified mufflers and other stuff. What r the website names? Thanks

Dave Neiger made a great post comparing the 361 and the 357XP - search for threads started by dneiger - you will find it helpful in your comparison.

Both

I have ran both for a period of time. Really tough to make a choice. I actually sold my 357xp because I didn't need that and the 361 and had to let one of them go. (ouch I know) I flipped a coin.

My 2 cents

Rydaddy said:
I have ran both for a period of time. Really tough to make a choice. I actually sold my 357xp because I didn't need that and the 361 and had to let one of them go. (ouch I know) I flipped a coin.

My 2 cents

But I don't see the 361 in your lineup. Did you sell that too?

Signature

B_Turner

My line-up has been changing a-lot over the last couple months (joining here has a lot to do with it) I need to do an update.... Thanks for the RE:

Hi. I also run the 359 and 440. The 372 from Bailey's seems like a very good choice for the $$. No problems with the 359 after I swapped mufflers. Runs kind of slow in aged dry oak tho. Also consider that there have been some posts here on the 361 oiler. I don't think the Husky will have a problem with oil on dry wood.

Good luck with your selection.

Jaxx

Let's see, you've got a Husky 49 and an 029 for limbing, an 044 for general firewood cutting...and let's see...you mention you like a lot of power. Hmmm, sounds like you're a candidate for either an 046 or a 7900 for the bigger stuff. I personally wouldn't buy a 361 or a 372XP if I already had an 044. I'd step on up closer to the 80cc range.

manual said:
By the looks of your line up I can see why.:hmm3grin2orange:
That's okay, I saw what you seen
And it aint Pretty...........:buttkick:

Latest posts

Back