357XP Piston and Rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyinLangley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it happened, the saw must have started sucking air from somewhere and ended up running lean but I melted the piston on my 357xp when I was out playing with the Copper Beech with Nikko.

Is the OEM piston kit from Bailey's worth the extra $100 or is the Golf or Meteor or Woodsman suitable? Does the 359 from Baileys fit the 357? I don't see a kit from Baileys for the 357 and don't have the part numbers in front of me. I know there are some questions here I can answer if I looked things up but I'm hoping for some experienced opinions along with the answers.

Thanks

Randy

I think I would go with the Meteor kit. Get the gasket kit too when messing with the cylinder. The question I have, why did it run lean? Was the air filter clogged, or did it pull air from some where else? I would try to find the cause before melting another one. There were some threads on here about a retro fit kit for the plastic clamp on the intake boot. Did you happen to see that thread?

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=63014&highlight=357xp+service+bulletin

Check to make sure that was not the cause, and then start investigating.

I don't like aftermarket kits. The quality is not the same as oem. If your restoring an old projectsaw the aftermarket is fine. The tolerances on the aftermarket stuff is loose compared to oem. The prices on the aftermarket stuff is very low right now and they may be worth a try but with oem you get the same product every time. Did you look at the cylinder yet? You may be able to save it.

I don't like aftermarket kits. The quality is not the same as oem. If your restoring an old projectsaw the aftermarket is fine. The tolerances on the aftermarket stuff is loose compared to oem. The prices on the aftermarket stuff is very low right now and they may be worth a try but with oem you get the same product every time. Did you look at the cylinder yet? You may be able to save it.

I cleaned up the cylinder and it looks to be in pretty good shape however there is a little wear through the chrome near the exhaust port lip, should I be concerned about this? I bought the saw at an auction for $60, it was missing a filter cover and the carb was gummed up, I invested about $30 into it to get it running and clean. I'm not sure I want to put $300 in to this saw that I don't really need, getting a piston kit would be do-able but having to buy a cylinder as well might be out of my range. I don't use my saws that often, maybe 2 weekends a month max, do you think aftermarket would be suitable?

Back