357xp questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodyjiw

Woodyjiw

ArboristSite Operative
Looks like you have the plastic intake clamp. Don't neglect replacing that!
Yes sir, in the process, I checked with my dealer and they didn't have a 372 clamp in stock. One of the members mentioned using a Stihl clamp, does it matter what model saw it's off? There is a Stihl dealer 1.5 miles from me.. Thought I'd check there before I order one.

PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
. AS Supporting Member.
A Stihl clamp would probably need to be from an 066/MS660. I've never been clear on what would actually be large enough diameter-wise.

Lots of guys use an an adjustable Oetiker clamp designed for clamping the small end of a CV joint boot. Has worked great for me and they're only a buck or so at NAPA if you have one nearby. There's a special tool for crimping it, but side cutters work just fine. Here's a link with part number and pic(s) May not look like it would seal well, but it can actually distort the intake if clamped too tight. They're only $1.50 a pop, so it doesn't hurt to buy a couple since you need to essentially destroy it by twisting the crimp to pop it loose if it needs to be replaced. Definitely a cheaper and superior solution than either the Husky or Stihl alternatives.

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/CTD6865833/

1031151406_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 1031151406_resized.jpg
    1031151406_resized.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 8
Woodyjiw

Woodyjiw

ArboristSite Operative
A Stihl clamp would probably need to be from an 066/MS660. I've never been clear on what would actually be large enough diameter-wise.

Lots of guys use an an adjustable Oetiker clamp designed for clamping the small end of a CV joint boot. Has worked great for me and they're only a buck or so at NAPA if you have one nearby. There's a special tool for crimping it, but side cutters work just fine. Here's a link with part number and pic(s) May not look like it would seal well, but it can actually distort the intake if clamped too tight. They're only $1.50 a pop, so it doesn't hurt to buy a couple since you need to essentially destroy it by twisting the crimp to pop it loose if it needs to be replaced. Definitely a cheaper and superior solution than either the Husky or Stihl alternatives.

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/CTD6865833/

Thank you sir!!

Woodyjiw

Woodyjiw

ArboristSite Operative
Trying to get a lil done on the 57 again. I picked up the carb kit and a new steel intake clamp.

Here's my question, do u have to pull the jug to remove the intake? It appears that way as I disassembled the carb and such to try to upgrade the clamp. I didn't reef on the intake trying to take it off. I thought I would ask before I messed it up and it costs me more cabbage..

Woodyjiw

Woodyjiw

ArboristSite Operative
Update, I pulled the carb and upgraded the diaphragm and it seems to have cured my erratic idle and bogging issues. I didn't run a full tank through but it seems to be better!!

I didn't replace the plastic clamp yet as I have some work to do with the saw. It seems to be tight and I checked everything else as best I could around the intake and impulse line. Should be fine for now.
I figure if I'm going to pull the jug I might as well do a base gasket delete and a MM at the same time then retune the saw. I'd like to make sure the carb is working properly before I try anything else. This is the first saw I plan on "modding"...

Latest posts