357xp vs. 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot222

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've discovered arboristsite a few weeks ago when considering the purchase of a new saw. I'm glad that I ran into this place because I really feel that I could use some advise.

I've been reading up on Huskys a bit because I have decided to step it up a notch from what I've own previously. I've owned 32cc - 46cc saws in the past. The brands were Mculloch, Poulan, and Echo.

I don't cut wood for a living but cut firewood for family and friends mostly because I like running the saw. I guess I could be considered an enthusiast. Since I've own a 46cc Poulan Pro in the past and worked it pretty hard, I decided to pass on the 346xp. The 357xp is about $150 more but I feel that it's worth the upgrade. The 357 Husky seems like a big upgrade for a guy like me who has been using smaller saws and it may be more than I need. My dilema started when I ran into the 372xp and found out that it was only $50 more than the 357! I'm a fairly stout dude and I'd only be using it with a 20" bar so weight isn't a huge issue for me. That said, is it possible for me to get in over my head with a 372? It there a huge difference between the 357 and 372?

Thanks in advance for patience with my noob question :)

Hi everyone. I've discovered arboristsite a few weeks ago when considering the purchase of a new saw. I'm glad that I ran into this place because I really feel that I could use some advise.

I've been reading up on Huskys a bit because I have decided to step it up a notch from what I've own previously. I've owned 32cc - 46cc saws in the past. The brands were Mculloch, Poulan, and Echo.

I don't cut wood for a living but cut firewood for family and friends mostly because I like running the saw. I guess I could be considered an enthusiast. Since I've own a 46cc Poulan Pro in the past and worked it pretty hard, I decided to pass on the 346xp. The 357xp is about $150 more but I feel that it's worth the upgrade. The 357 Husky seems like a big upgrade for a guy like me who has been using smaller saws and it may be more than I need. My dilema started when I ran into the 372xp and found out that it was only $50 more than the 357! I'm a fairly stout dude and I'd only be using it with a 20" bar so weight isn't a huge issue for me. That said, is it possible for me to get in over my head with a 372? It there a huge difference between the 357 and 372?

Thanks in advance for patience with my noob question :)

If you've got the cash and the ability to get a 372,then do it...The 372 will eat the 357 and spit nails..Plus there is no telling how much longer the 372 is going to be available.

Welcome to AS!!!!
you are definitely in for a drastic power increase with either saws.
there is a sizable power difference between the 357 and 372.
maybe your local husky dealer can demo both saws for you,I think the 357 is more than enough saw for your needs.
one very important point is to also figure into the price a full outfit of Personal Protection Equipment if you don't have it already and be extra careful with your new saw.

Last edited:
If you've got the cash and the ability to get a 372,then do it...The 372 will eat the 357 and spit nails..Plus there is no telling how much longer the 372 is going to be available.

Wow! you guys responded fast! Thanks.

Are they discontinuing the 372 and if so why? Seems like I've heard nothing but good about it.

Welcome to AS!!!!
you are definitely in for a drastic power increase with either saws.
there is a sizable power difference between the 357 and 372.
maybe your local husky dealer can demo both saws for you,I think the 357 is more than enough saw for your needs.
one very important point is to also figure into the price a full outfit of Personal Protection Equipment if you don't have it already and be extra careful with your new saw.

Yeah, I figured that even the 346xp would be a big step up from the Poulan 46. That's why I thought the 357 might be more than I needed and I agree that you're probably right about that. For another $50 bucks I'm afraid that I shouldn't pass on the 372.

I dont have my chaps yet but will get them before using the new saw. I found some 6 layer kevlar for $49 through this site.

Last edited:

Are they discontinuing the 372 and if so why? Seems like I've heard nothing but good about it.

I think they'll be available everywhere else in the world but in the US...It's not that it's a bad saw,everyone loves them...It's the EPA and emisions.

The 372 has been brought back into the US lineup for now, and they are looking more available now. The price (from what I gather online) is very attractive compared to the 357xp. I got my 357 on sale, and 372s were scarce at that time. If I had to choose one today it would have to be the 372 for the price, but I am very happy with my 357xp.

The 372 has been "un-discontinued" again for the next couple of years. The in and out is strictly due to EPA regs and credits.

The 357 is plenty for what you are doing and is light years ahead of the saws you have been running. And the 372 will run right on by the 357. Take your pick!

I got both of them and even if I like to run the 357 it is not a 372 if you got some bigger wood go for the 372 it's a great saw !!

both

357xp if you will be running 20"bar

372xp if you will be running 24" bar

Have owned and run both. Hope my 14cents helped.

They was about to do it, come and go, because of EPA, but recently they bought Redmax, and earned enough EPA "points" to reintroduce the 372xp, to stay.

For a 60cc(-) saw, I'd surely take the MS361 over the 357xp, but the best 70cc saw is the 372xp - it is a matter of the size and type of your wood.....

357xp if you will be running 20"bar

372xp if you will be running 24" bar

Have owned and run both. Hope my 14cents helped.

I'd say 16", maybe 18" on the 357, and 20-24" on the 372 - but that's just me.......

I sure wouldn't want a 20" on a 357xp.

Last edited:
I thought my 55 rancher was a great saw until I bought my 372xpw.:chainsawguy:

even with my current 32" bar this thing flat rips!

I am going to pickup a 24" bar tonight to try and reduce weight. I need to have rupedoggy put a black coil on it after the muffler is modded to really have fun.:D

18" is no problem for the 357, I have not used a 20" on it but it screams with 18" and have good balance with it ,,,,,

For a 357XP I would run 20" in softwood and 18" in the hard stuff.
For a 372XP I would run 24" in softwood and 20" in the hard stuff.
I was sad to see my 372XP go, but I traded it to my cousin for a Yamaha Phazer snowmachine, and I retained visitation rights.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

They was about to do it, come and go, because of EPA, but recently they bought Redmax, and earned enough EPA "points" to reintroduce the 372xp, to stay.

For a 60cc(-) saw, I'd surely take the MS361 over the 357xp, but the best 70cc saw is the 372xp - it is a matter of the size and type of your wood.....

I like the idea of purchasing the finest saw of a given class even if it may be a bit mor saw than I need. I suppose it will last longer too if it's underworked vs. overworked.

The type of wood I cut is dry pine up to 20 inches. Additionally, and in smaller amounts, ironwood, juniper and paloverde.

Sure it will "pull" it, but is it any fun.........:yoyo: :yoyo:

...tomorrow I think I will put a 16", and 8-pin, on the 372xpg, just for kicks......

My personal 357 is stock....I have a 357 that I'm modding for a guy sitting on my bench right now...I'm anxious to see how it turns out...The 357 pulls a 20 inch bar very well,otherwise I wouldn't have one on it.;) :yoyo:

Latest posts

Back