359 Will not run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a 359 that will only run if I keep pushing in the choke then pulling it out back and forth... As soon as I turn off the choke it dies...any suggestions.

Air leak, the carb mount/backing plate to rubber boot is notorious.
Or...at high(er) altitudes, if you've got a Walbro replace it with a Zama.

Wrong on two accounts, the 359 needs the plastic band replaced on the intake boot (service kit offered by Husky with metal clamp). If you remove the Walbro send it to me as the zama will not run with the Walbro and there is a repair to straighten out the Walbro. Fix the Walbro for $20 or by the Zama with less performance for $50+

Wrong on two accounts, the 359 needs the plastic band replaced on the intake boot (service kit offered by Husky with metal clamp). If you remove the Walbro send it to me as the zama will not run with the Walbro and there is a repair to straighten out the Walbro. Fix the Walbro for $20 or by the Zama with less performance for $50+
screen inside the carb, and checking for an air leak provided compression is good and strong.[/QUOTE]

Hence my note as to altitude.
Don't reckon you get to 7000' much in the deep south. No offense intended, of course.
That is exactly what I have done on several 359's up here, all with great results.
It took a bit of trial and error, from rebuilding the Walbros to J&P's to finally replacing the backing plate & boot & Walbro with a Zama.
Again, this is at altitudes above 4500'

The guy's from Auburn, so he's probably getting up into those elevations to cut.

Auburn CA.. 1700 ft The compression is great, and I have not ran it this year as my closed port 55 is my saw of choice. I'll first check the gas filter...great ethanol gas here in CA !!!

Air leak, the carb mount/backing plate to rubber boot is notorious.
Or...at high(er) altitudes, if you've got a Walbro replace it with a Zama.

I think many people here would disagree with the bold comment above. Walbro's are good carbs and work just the same or better than the Zama's. I think you'd find more people saying the opposite to you, chuck the Zama and find a good Walbro...

I agree, sounds like an air leak to me. Time to check the intake boot and if everything looks good do a vacuum test. Maybe new carb kit and fuel lines/screen...

I think many people here would disagree with the bold comment above. Walbro's are good carbs and work just the same or better than the Zama's. I think you'd find more people saying the opposite to you, chuck the Zama and find a good Walbro...

I agree, sounds like an air leak to me. Time to check the intake boot and if everything looks good do a vacuum test. Maybe new carb kit and fuel lines/screen...

Never intending to be the heretic......
I actually do prefer Walbros. I even like the way they look better.
All that aside, as stated, almost ad nauseum, this is one particular instance, as stated ay higher altitudes, the Samantha has proven, by my observation, and only in the 359, to be a cure to a problem that many up here in the high country, have found. Did one just the other week. Went from not running to screaming.
Ironically it is probably for having smaller jets. Which of corset would suck where there's about 25% more oxygen.
That 359 being a saw so fast that the tollerances are bound to be as tight as a rich boy with his money.
Being a California boy, I thought that, perhaps, this fellow was cutting in the hills above Auburn, the bulk of the Sierras being right there, just to the east.

Now though, I sure ain't a gon'na start going off on saw brands, themselves, or the ancillary parts. Parts is parts, some work better under certain, specific, applications. Suffice it to say, the 359's I got running for folks around here have made those folks swear by my services.

All in cheerful spirit, of course.

Back