361 it is!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the stihl shop a few days ago and picked up my first 361 to check it out.
maybe I'm in the 1% of stihl owners, but man that thing felt and looked cheesey.
hate those silly little springs too. give me good rubber AV mounts on a stihl!
oh well, more for you guys.
-Ralph

You can't be serious.......:yoyo: :yoyo: :laugh: :laugh:

View attachment 49019Well guys here she is. Came in today just before lunchtime. I dont know how or why but it has the the quick chain tensioner. Is this good or bad? It seems to work ok but Ive never had a saw with one.

View attachment 49019Well guys here she is. Came in today just before lunchtime. I dont know how or why but it has the the quick chain tensioner. Is this good or bad? It seems to work ok but Ive never had a saw with one.

Congrats with the choise of the 361! :rockn: :rockn:

As far as I know the QCA works OK, just don't let it discourage you from proper maintenance (you have to dismount it, but you will probably get used to that pretty soon - if not, you have a problem). For some applications, it may also disturb the chip flow under the clutch cover enough to create a problem.

All in all, I would return it, if you didn't order it with the QCA, and demand one without it.........

Thanks Troll. I went and pulled the quote that I recieved when I got the price and it did make mention of the quick adjuster. I have had it on and off several times today and it doesnt seem to be a big deal to install and remove. Ill keep a close eye out for build-up behind the cover. Thanks to everyone for their in-put and helping me make my mind up. Its a really cool saw.:D Im tickled $hitless!

As I said, it is really not a big deal, if you get accustomed to dismount it, when the cutting day is over. You may save some time in the woods, but you loose it again, when doing daily maitenance.....:biggrinbounce2:

:jawdrop: Well, I'll be :censored:...

Oh, no, now I see! Troll! Troll? Get here quick, someone has stolen your account and makes strange comments using your handle! Troll..?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl:

Hopefully, I remember you when I get some free rep again.........

As I said, it is really not a big deal, if you get accustomed to dismount it, when the cutting day is over. You may save some time in the woods, but you loose it again, when doing daily maitenance.....:biggrinbounce2:

The QCA on the 361 works very well... and there is no daily maintenance that you will loose time on!. Who "dismounts" their bars anyhow? and even if you do, it's quicker with the QCA. Maybe you'll have to spend 30 seconds more when you flip the bar now and them. At least you'll never drop a bar nut in the snow.. or forget/lose your scrench..

You can't be serious.......

why not?
we both have our own opinions, for better or worse!
if we all agreed, they'd only make a few different sized saws, and what fun would that be?

Lake, I know, kinda. the 5100 and 372 has/had springs and I got used to them quickly enough (although the 372 made my hands numb, and the 5100 doesn't) sometimes I resist change, even when there's a chance it's for the better. what can ya do? I'll end up with spring dampened stihls sooner or later. you know me, I hate the flip cap leg lubers and now they change more stuff on stihls.... :bang:
-Ralph

Well guys my debate ended today. One of my equipment rental salesmen came out today to the jobsite and made me an offer I couldnt turn down. The new 361 will be here tomorrow!:biggrinbounce2: :D :blob2: Ill try to get some pics posted in the next day or two. Thanks for helping me make my decision.

Congradulations dustytools on a fine tool. The 361 is an excellent all around chainsaw.

I have to say, along with a few others here, that the MS361 is a great little saw. I only say little b/c I've gotten used to my 394XP. I have the 361 mounted on a ripsaw usually, and had never bothered to put it to any wood; I had to take down a cedar (more on that one in the arborcultural injuries forum)....and didn't feel like lugging the beast around cutting a couple hundred little limbs off.
Needless to say, I loved it. I wish mine had the quick chain adjuster. Not that I use it that much, I just like technology. Good saw. I was a little skeptical as well; it feels like a toy compared to the big husky, and its not all that much heavier than the 024 or 029.

Congrats on the purchase, Dusty!

Wait till you try it with a more aggressive chain.. I use the RSC and it really cuts.

I bought my 361 after mistakenly running the 039 without mixed gas. This past weekend I finally completed the rebuild of the 039 so I'll have a real comparison of the two.

Back