361 or 441 to go with the ms260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440rev

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
should I trade my new 361 for a new 441 same price? I just picked up my 361 & and thinking I should have gotten the 441. Guy behind the counter said he would give the the 441 for 600.00 (feels sorry for me) I know it's a great deal & all, but I don't want it if I don't need that big of a saw. Just firewood, cleaning property, I plan on renting a jlg lift & downing a few big maples by myself. I had a 290. I have been through a couple of training classes on chainsaw. Is the 441 to big to lug around 14.6# to the 361's 12.3# Do the 441's looks grow on you? I won't be doing any mods to the 441. I don't want a 3 saw plan I know the 441 would be basically be free from not paying to have the tree cut down. It should cost 800 to down my 3-4 trees 600 saw & 200 for the lift.

should I trade my new 361 for a new 441 same price? I just picked up my 361 & and thinking I should have gotten the 441. Guy behind the counter said he would give the the 441 for 600.00 (feels sorry for me) I know it's a great deal & all, but I don't want it if I don't need that big of a saw. Just firewood, cleaning property, I plan on renting a jlg lift & downing a few big maples by myself. I had a 290. I have been through a couple of training classes on chainsaw. Is the 441 to big to lug around 14.6# to the 361's 12.3# Do the 441's looks grow on you? I won't be doing any mods to the 441. I don't want a 3 saw plan I know the 441 would be basically be free from not paying to have the tree cut down. It should cost 800 to down my 3-4 trees 600 saw & 200 for the lift.

I have a 441 and an 026 (similar to the 260) and really like the combo.

Was bucking up a little over a cord of firewood for some neighbors today. Ran the 026 for a little while, but found it less tiresome to use the 441 on the stuff 12" and up. Ended up using the 441 for almost all of the bucking.

I have run a 361 for felling and bucking, and would rather have the 441.

Get the 441. I have the 460 along with a 180, and am in the market for a 260. If I were to go with just 2 saws it would be the 441/460 and a 260. The 260 is light enough you can use it all day long, while the 441 will handle all the big stuff you will ever need.

A 441 is not too big for anything if you are a normal sized person in at least average shape.

More importantly, the 260 and 361 are just too close to make it worth while. It is not fair to say they are functionally the same saw. It is fair to say anything the 260 does, the 361 does a bit better.

If you can get the 441 for basically free, do it up.

If you are cutting mostly 20'' and under I would keep the 361 IMO. I have a 026 and 361 and there is a good difference in weight and power between the two if you ask me."I like them both" I just couldn't get rid of my 361 I guess, It is firewood perfection IMO!!! But if you want a large saw I would go with a ms460...

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, is there a significance difference between the MS441 and the 460? I know the "numbers" show a half HP difference with the same powerhead weight, but is there really huge difference? Why does Stihl offer a saw with specs so close to the 460?

I, too, am trying to decide between the 361 and 460... or maybe even a 441.

Not to hijack the thread, is there a significance difference between the MS441 and the 460? I know the "numbers" show a half HP difference with the same powerhead weight, but is there really huge difference? Why does Stihl offer a saw with specs so close to the 460?

You have alot of saws in the same class!!! I think you need a 460 over the 361!!!

Boy, you're not kidding...

I have to delete some of those from my signature. Some were sold to support the big saw fund.

The Husky is going to get replaced too

You have some nice saws there!!! Do you still have you 357xp? I only ask because I am sure you know that is like a ms361 I would guess. I would like a ms460 myself but I am not sure if I would use, need it for what I cut most...

You have some nice saws there!!! Do you still have you 357xp? I only ask because I am sure you know that is like a ms361 I would guess. I would like a ms460 myself but I am not sure if I would use, need it for what I cut most...

Yes, and I like it, especially when I picked it up at an auction for $150. Hard not to like it for that price. The weight of the 460 vs the Husky 357 is not that noticeable. I think my mind rationalizes it just by the shear power difference. I would rather use a larger saw all day with more power than a smaller one (meaning lighter) that struggles.

Yes, and I like it, especially when I picked it up at an auction for $150. Hard not to like it for that price. The weight of the 460 vs the Husky 357 is not that noticeable. I think my mind rationalizes it just by the shear power difference. I would rather use a larger saw all day with more power than a smaller one (meaning lighter) that struggles.

I am starting to feel the same way... I went from a ms250 to a husky 359 to a ms361 "which is my go to saw" but had to get a 026 because I really like those saws. But here we are catching this "CAD'' thing... I think we both might need a ms460 next...

The two saws weigh about the same. The 441 sips fuel and the air filter stays clean alot longer. The 441 strato engine does not take well to mods. Very smooth AV system on the 441.

On the other hand the 460 drinks the fuel more and does not have newer type AV system.

But with a muffler mod and a retune the 460 really wakes up. In smaller wood with equal size bars not a big difference between the two.

Bars over 25" and bigger wood the 460 shines and cuts real good.

I think you should get all three, I have that combo and really enjoy having saws for all types of situations, the 441 with a 25 or 28" bar, the 361 wearing a 20" and the 260 with a 18" bar. Each saw has it place and its own strengths.

The 460 will soon be gone for EPA reasons.

Have not used a 460. Do have a Husky 181SE and if a modded 460 is anything like it, I prefer the 441 for all day cutting. The 181's anti vibe is not nearly as nice as the 441. (Of course, there is only about 22 years difference in the manufacturing dates)

Maybe one day I'll get tired of advertising for the 441, just not there yet.

As mentioned, the 441 is easy on fuel, superb filtration and excellent. anti vibe.

The 441 is my favorite firewood and felling saw.

For a total felling, limbing, and bucking package, hat's off to the 440!

The 441 is overweight and underpowered.

Atleast according to the people who haven't used one......:monkey:

if you can get the 441 for the same price do it. it a no brainer for me, but on the other hand i would rather have the ms460 than the 441 but thats me:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Back