Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I want one of the last 361s to put on the shelf for when my current 361 gets retired and put out to stud. Then I want a 362 in about a year and a half just to give it a shot. I really like that size saw for the wood we have around here. I run an 046 that belongs to my buddy fairly often, and I have an 064 that I absolutely love, but the 361 is my go-to saw. I keep worrying that I'm going to be slow on the trigger and not have the money when the last 361 is for sale and get stuck without. That would truly be a shame, because I would love to have one running ten years from now.

personally i want one of the last 361s to put on the shelf for when my current 361 gets retired and put out to stud. Then i want a 362 in about a year and a half just to give it a shot. I really like that size saw for the wood we have around here. I run an 046 that belongs to my buddy fairly often, and i have an 064 that i absolutely love, but the 361 is my go-to saw. I keep worrying that i'm going to be slow on the trigger and not have the money when the last 361 is for sale and get stuck without. That would truly be a shame, because i would love to have one running ten years from now.
let me know when you want one,i usally have 3 or 4 new ones on the shelf.and i don't see that changing anytime soon!

how about the 042/048????

i have an 042 that has been in the family since new,to my knowledge it has never been apart.good old saw,heavy,but good old saw. There was a like new 048 on ebay last spring that brought over 700.00,i don't think they cost that much new! Not bad for a 30year old saw!

LOL - As I see it, Stihl didn't have any really good saw designs between the 1106-series and the 044/064/026 etc - but that is just a loosely based opinion, based on specs and pictures - they just don't look like well-handling saws, compared to the Huskys and Jonsereds of that time (they were mostly not the same animal back then)....

Last edited:
lol - as i see it, stihl didn't have any really good saw designs between the 1106-series and the 044/064/026 etc - but that is just a loosely based opinion, based on specs and pictures - they just don't look like well-handling saws....
you are correct and i agree,we all have are own opinions. Truth be known all pro saws are good,and they all have their good and bad points. Aren't you the guy that runs a 15" bar on a 361?????? Just curious as to what you would use to drop trees, an 090/25"????? Just having some fun w/you!!!!!!!

you are correct and i agree,we all have are own opinions. Truth be known all pro saws are good,and they all have their good and bad points. Aren't you the guy that runs a 15" bar on a 361?????? Just curious as to what you would use to drop trees, an 090/25"????? Just having some fun w/you!!!!!!!

Mostly 361 with 18" bar, or 346xp with 16" - some times the 372xp with 20 or 24".

The 15" on the 361 is for limbing and bucking - when you cut close to the ground, a short bar is much easier to keep out of the dirt.

"Overbucking" is usually the better way on larger wood, close to the ground.

Back