365 husky with 32" bar is it to much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan365husky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i just bought a 32 inch bar and chain for my 365 which has a big bore kit installed with a muffler mod twin pipes off to each side with the carb limiters gone and carb tuned in. will it handle a 32 inch bar and chain ? let every know once its here if it will or not.

maybe with skip chain.
but i would bet it wont have fun doing it.
i wouldn't fit it with a full time 32" bar, i would just save that for when i really really needed it. i would say 28" max with a 20" sitting very comfortable on that saw. 32" is really pushing it.

I used my 28" on my 372 today with stihl full skip, buried in some cedar and doug fir snags. Changed my sprocket from 7-8 the chain pulled so well in the dead soft wood. Sounds like you've done a lot of work to your saw, probably bumped it up powerwise to the 385. I wouldn't use a bar that big ALL the time, but it should pull it just fine with a light touch.

my 362 bb has run a 32 with skip with no muffler mods. i had to cut a big oak blow down, i had to doubel cut a few times but it pulled it ok . would i want to use it ever day with a 32 no, but if you need to cut big stuff a few times a year a bb 365 will pull it no problem .....just keep the chain sharp.... it will take a few cuts till you find how much you can push on it to keep from lugging it in the cut

maybe with skip chain.
but i would bet it wont have fun doing it.
i wouldn't fit it with a full time 32" bar, i would just save that for when i really really needed it. i would say 28" max with a 20" sitting very comfortable on that saw. 32" is really pushing it.

:agree2:

Heck yea no problemo :clap: Has more cc's than a stock 372, muffler mod, and carb tuned for non epa... As long as its the walbro carb you should be just fine.

John

sounds good just want it for pieces larger than the 20 inch i run on it all the time. dont like cutting one side than going over and cutting on the other side. for more info my father in law works for a small city and thats where i get most of my wood from the city street trees. only problem is they chip the smaller wood 8 to 12 inch and smalller but leave mass amounts of larger pieces the pile that is their now is over 15 feet high 30 feet long and 50 feet wide. but most of the wood is over 28 inches so a longer bar wood work wonders as long as i dont push like i do with the 20 inch bar.

thanks everyone for the info maybe someday lets say a 3120 or 395 or maybe i might get a big stihl who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
update never ran the 32 bar on the modded 365 darn

never got to try out the large bar and chain. can no longer get wood from the city my father inlaw that got me in their has had back surgery and retired. stuck cutting wood the hard way in the woods now i have two 365 that dont get used as much as i like to. most of the trees are not that large stuck with smaller saws.

i just bought a 32 inch bar and chain for my 365 which has a big bore kit installed with a muffler mod twin pipes off to each side with the carb limiters gone and carb tuned in. will it handle a 32 inch bar and chain ? let every know once its here if it will or not.

What on earth do you need a 32'' bar on a 365 for?

That just sounds like foolishness to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a 32" all day almost every day on ported a 372. Use a 8 tooth sprocket and skip or semi skip, square ground. Cut oak and hickory all day with it today.

my 372 has 32" fitted to it and it does pretty good. its the ported factory 71cc top end.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20stuff/GEDC0886.flv">

yours should do fine specialy since its running a few more ccs then the stock 372.
this vid is mine in 32" bar sized doug fir

I run a 32" all day almost every day on ported a 372. Use a 8 tooth sprocket and skip or semi skip, square ground. Cut oak and hickory all day with it today.

I bet that dogged the #### out of it too.

theres now way a guy would ever make any money with that set up in hardwood, no way.

softwood, sure...

I ran a 24 on a 359 for several years as my goto saw. Then I built a saw pretty much identical to yours. After using it, I don't think I'd want a bar that big on it. That saw likes rpms, for burying a long bar, I think a torque saw like the 385 would be better suited. It will cut, but don't expect it to be fast.

I bet that dogged the #### out of it too.

theres now way a guy would ever make any money with that set up in hardwood, no way.

softwood, sure...

I just need to get a video of it eating a green hickory. Larrythecableguy ran one of mine set up like that with the bar buried in dead burned black oak, which cuts much slower than green hickory, and was very impressed. He was running his ported 7900 with about a 24" bar just before that for a reference. He also got to feel of a stock 460 with a dual port muffler and 32" bar at the same time.
You guys just don't realize what a good port job and an efficient square chain will do.
I am not working by the hour I am am cutting timber that I trade for myself. With the market as bad as it is I have to work as efficiently as possible. I have a super strong 372 with a 24" bar sitting in the truck. I will break it out when I am cutting smaller stuff. It cuts faster but my production goes down when I use it on bigger stuff. It is also much easier to make errors when making critical cuts with a bar that wont reach through the tree.

i feel that my 372 is comfroatable puln the 32" in wood past the tip but i dont think its so comfortable to put a 8 pin on it.

I just need to get a video of it eating a green hickory. Larrythecableguy ran one of mine set up like that with the bar buried in dead burned black oak, which cuts much slower than green hickory, and was very impressed. He was running his ported 7900 with about a 24" bar just before that for a reference. He also got to feel of a stock 460 with a dual port muffler and 32" bar at the same time.
You guys just don't realize what a good port job and an efficient square chain will do.
I am not working by the hour I am am cutting timber that I trade for myself. With the market as bad as it is I have to work as efficiently as possible. I have a super strong 372 with a 24" bar sitting in the truck. I will break it out when I am cutting smaller stuff. It cuts faster but my production goes down when I use it on bigger stuff. It is also much easier to make errors when making critical cuts with a bar that wont reach through the tree.

Dead black oak is like sun baked dog turd, it aint hard..

My mildly ported 372 was fine with a 28'' in poplar and green oak, but a big hickory was too much, sure it handled it with moderate authority, its nothing to compare to a 90cc stock saw though...

the whole thing is moot...

run what you want!

Since this post is about a year old its also pretty moot... I was wondering how long this was going to get kicked around till someone noticed.. :dizzy:

Paid by the hour. There is always a way.:chainsaw:

It wouldn't be a production cutters saw of choice but i've posted many times about a local service that is busy everday pending weather and he uses a stock 365 with a 36". Now granted it's only for residential takedowns where the saw might make 3 to 4 cuts per day and the saw runs surprisingly strong for the motor displacement. We've kicked around many times over beers why he doesn't step up to a bigger saw and i've even let him run my big timber saws but it's kind of pride thing with this guy. He's replaced his t handles and 359's a few times over the years but refuses to upgrade this one. I've ran the saw a few times and outside of the fact you need a gear oil bottle filled with chain lube since the oiler can't keep up with the longer bar it really is a fantastic saw for the power. For the once in a while cut I wouldn't be afarid of a 32". The 365 has excellent low end torque. I think to many guys look at specs and write it off. Pretty much like the guys who think a 359 won't pull a 24" worth a crap yet I ran acouple for years when that was all I could afford at the time. If money is an issue why have a 1k saw setting around that makes you cry everytime you look at it and say why did I buy that?

Back