365 Special or 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chop

ArboristSite Lurker
personal preference...

I dunno, man...I'm a ratio/numbers guy, if I was given total choice. My saws have almost all been 'accidental' purchases/finds. My chainsaw arsenal doesn't reflect this analytical approach as well as my actual arsenal, but my goal in both isn't home runs as much as consistent base hits. For that reason, the ratio of power to weight makes the 365 irrelevant to me... I really liked the "Thunder/Lightning" post :biggrinbounce2: If ... IF ... the 365's a steal, and you plan on modding it to rival stock 372XP levels, then sure...other than that, 346XP (or I hear the new MS261 isn't a total cripple...) :hmm3grin2orange:

Chop

ArboristSite Lurker
261 mystery money

Getting a price on that saw has proven more challenging than I anticipated. I have two dealers here, and neither have it yet. Their price books are from January 2010... I'll bet Mr. Snelling can give you the low-down if he hasn't been sworn to secrecy :laugh:

gmcman

gmcman

ArboristSite Operative
I find more times than not, that the 340 just needs that little kick when working on the 12" stuff...it's not bad but you know what I mean, pine is no prob though.

If it was a 357 instead of the 365 then it's a no-brainer..just I don't need 2 372's. The CAS has bitten again that's all, when you dangle a carrot in front of a horse it will react. May have found a steal on a 346 but we'll see what happens...that will determine the outcome.

I appreciate the feedback.

"Um....dear, why do I need green kevlar pants?" ;)

The Count

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don`t know, 20"+ ?
larger ?
tell me more. not even close? could you elaborate please?
oh...sorry. I`m still asleep
i meant 372 and 576. sorry.
makes sense now.
cheers
still the Q still stands for 372 and 576

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
I don`t know, 20"+ ?
larger ?
tell me more. not even close? could you elaborate please?
oh...sorry. I`m still asleep
i meant 372 and 576. sorry.
makes sense now.
cheers
still the Q still stands for 372 and 576

ha ha ha. Ok, that sounds better. I've heard stock for stock the 576 has a slight edge, but more bulk. But I've never run a 576. I think ported would be a different story though.

I guess it's just something about the special that appeals to me, just different. Never ran one so i'm not familiar with the power curve, or how much more low grunt it has, was more of a wild idea with the larger sprocket.

Sharpened the chain on the 372 last night and was thinking even with a 16" bar it would be a bear for limbing.

The 346 seems to just be genetically attached to the 372 in some way, just the perfect compliment. You just have to own both....there seems to be no way around it.

gmcman, I feel your predicament, there is something appealing about the 365 special, I have all three, 346, 365, and 372. All bought new within the last two years. My 365 was a little cheaper than the 346 also. Checking Baileys OEM top end prices you will find 372 top ends cheaper than a 365 top end by a fair amount of money. The 365 is made with good stuff. I use my 365 more than the other two combined. REJ2

Latest posts