371xp carb troubles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z_racing14

Reaction score
Alright, I've resorted to having to ask the pros on this one. I have a 1997 371xp that I just finished rebuilding the carb on and when it runs it's horribly rich. I checked it without the filter and after running a minute there will be a plume of fuel above the carb when you gas it. I thought mabey the needle was bad so I changed that also. Funny thing is the one the dealer gave me was metal tipped and the one out of the saw was rubber tipped, but none the less they assure me it's the right one. No amount of messing with the screws will fix it. It's seems to be fine when it's cold and as soon as warms up bam it's way to rich. If anyone out out there has any idea I'd love to hear because I'm terin my hair out trying to fix this thing. Thanks in advance:)

Is the tab on the end of the fulcrum adjusted properly (pump diaphragm side) it opens and closes the valve and needs to be at the correct height

We of couse assume that your air filtration system is not fouled up? Plugged filter will equal a rich mixture. Try running the saw (temporarily) without the filter to see if it runs any different.

I would also pop the muffler to take a gander at your piston. A scored piston can produce a saw that is hard to start when warm.

Sounds like you may have mixed up the order in which you put the gasket and diaphragm on, the one on the needle side. Gasket goes first then the diaphragm.

Latest posts

Back