371XP Salvage Project - Is is wise to save with aftermarket parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rking453

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, and just getting into saw rebuilding and collecting. I just finished my first full-on saw refurb project, an early 044 with a bad case gasket leak right under the muffler. I bought a case splitter, split the case, put all new bearings in, new seals, rings, carb boot, rubber lines, etc. Saw came out excellent, very happy with myself and definitely have the bug! Bought all of the parts OEM from my local local Stihl / Husky dealer. Even with most of the parts being smaller items, it added up and was a little pricey.

For my next project, my father-in-law gave me a box with two "graveyard" 371XPs that have been picked over time to keep other saws running, and various spare parts. I am planning to build one nice saw with what I have between the two, and purchase whatever parts both are missing. I'm ordering a Hyway top end kit, but for the rest of the parts, clutch, ignition coil, rubber pieces, I'm torn on whether to go the OEM route again, or try out some aftermarket parts and save some money. I see huge differences in prices, OEM coil $90, Bailey's coil $50, eBay $18?

What is everyone's thoughts on sites like Traverse Creek (Duke's), Baileys, or just no-name ebay stuff?

Obviously everyone wants to save money, but where should I draw the line on spending too much, vs buying junk?

I have done them both ways, all OEM and all just as cheap as possible.
Sometimes it is more fun just to see what a cheap saw can do.
Personally, I hate splitting a case. So I use good quality bearings on any mag case saw as a rule. Everything else just depends.
Cheap cyls are good to practice porting if you get into that.
Cheap carbs, I don't really like. I would rather just rebuild an OEM one.
Plastics? Up to you if you mind miss matched colors.
Coil, easy to replace of the cheap one doesn't work.

I see no reason to overspend on a muffler.
Clutch and sprocket, again, pretty easy to swap if they dont work well.
I havent had any issues with cheap oil pumps on my saws.
Air filter is an air filter. If someone doesn't like it, they can buy one.

I see no reason to overspend on a muffler.
Clutch and sprocket, again, pretty easy to swap if they dont work well.
I havent had any issues with cheap oil pumps on my saws.
Air filter is an air filter. If someone doesn't like it, they can buy one.
Makes a lot of sense to me to spend on the parts like crank bearings that have a lot of time and labor involved in replacement. And you have a great point, it takes a minute to swap a coil or a clutch. Hadn't thought of it that way.

Makes a lot of sense to me to spend on the parts like crank bearings that have a lot of time and labor involved in replacement. And you have a great point, it takes a minute to swap a coil or a clutch. Hadn't thought of it that way.
I am certainly not a professional chainsaw operator. Just fix saws as a hobby and keep a bunch for fun. So my personal saws don't see a lot of wood time to cut my little bit of firewood. Stuff I fix to sell I usually am more careful what I put in them so I don't feel like I am "fooling" anyone. Even if you do build it with cheap parts and sell it, just be honest about it and price it accordingly.

Just an fyi, buy SKF 6202 C3 Explorer bearings for the crank, they are literally the exact same thing your Husky dealer will charge you $20+ bucks a pop for.

The SR will definitely have water this year. I’m hoping the smaller streams up there are fishable in October.

OEM for moving parts as mentioned above. Used 371/372 parts are getting tough to find up here… I’m always looking, though.

I have done them both ways, all OEM and all just as cheap as possible.
Sometimes it is more fun just to see what a cheap saw can do.
Personally, I hate splitting a case. So I use good quality bearings on any mag case saw as a rule. Everything else just depends.
Cheap cyls are good to practice porting if you get into that.
Cheap carbs, I don't really like. I would rather just rebuild an OEM one.
Plastics? Up to you if you mind miss matched colors.
Coil, easy to replace of the cheap one doesn't work.
Flopped a ms390 together for one of my uncles. Straight up $25.00 topend from China. Still running to this day. Fortunately he doesn't use it hard, but it was an interesting experiment.

Pulaski, ny? I think we need to go fishing first? Kidding.

Tinman mentioned this in his video, https://www.ebay.com/itm/174859249513
Haha, they will be running before we know it. He has some great videos, that's what got me started on building saws. I just ordered that exact kit, excited to see how this saw compares to my 372XP X-Torq.

Back