372 kill switch trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brncreeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Search is down right now so I’ll post the question. Today my 372’s kill switch suddenly failed to stop the engine. I cycled the switch about a dozen times with no engine shutdown. The choke stops it for now until I can dig into it to find the problem.
Is this generally a problem with too much dielectric paste in the switch or a defective coil? The saw is still pretty new yet with about 5 tanks run through it so far.

Kill switch

Same thing just happened to my 372, turned out the fan had scrambled the wire leading to the kill switch. Replaced wire and works good now.

Jon

ahh..ive had this problem on the 395 a few times...it sure is a pain after you walk into the woods and then your saw won't start because the kill switch...we always just replaced the whole switch...i think they are around $4-5. although they prolly could be cleaned up or something..

Search is down right now so I’ll post the question. Today my 372’s kill switch suddenly failed to stop the engine. I cycled the switch about a dozen times with no engine shutdown. The choke stops it for now until I can dig into it to find the problem.
Is this generally a problem with too much dielectric paste in the switch or a defective coil? The saw is still pretty new yet with about 5 tanks run through it so far.

I would assume that with only 5 tanks through the saw it is still under warranty. If that is correct, then clearly start with your Husky dealer at let them fix the problem.

husky

I know husky has a problem with the kill switches, my buddy has put 4 in his 281xp in it's ten year life. They go bad......just replace the switch.....bailey's has them. They are $4-5.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

EHP372=not stock

I would assume that with only 5 tanks through the saw it is still under warranty. If that is correct, then clearly start with your Husky dealer at let them fix the problem.

It is a EHP372.......it's not stock at all.lol:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I have had the wires shake loose on mine a couple different times. I rewired the old switch with some new tiny spade connectors and I sealed it all up with some heat shrink. Has yet to fail me.

Found the problem. Apparently the ground wire came into contact with the FW, tore the wire to bits and flung it through the air injection. I pulled pieces of wire out of the air filter and fins. Nothing else got damaged, I’ll just make a new grounding wire.

On a new saw, I would check the wiring first. Something may have come loose. I don't know how your dealer is, but if they want to keep it for a week or more till they can get to it, you may want to fix it yourself if its not too much.

The plastic cable guide over the flywheel should probably have grommets or eyelets for the cables to go through instead of the integrated c-clips.

Found the problem. Apparently the ground wire came into contact with the FW, tore the wire to bits and flung it through the air injection. I pulled pieces of wire out of the air filter and fins. Nothing else got damaged, I’ll just make a new grounding wire.

i had the exact same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. only my wire caught the black air duct behind the fly wheel and smashed it up.
its the second time this has happed to me. those clips on the fly wheel guard suck.

Got it back together this morning, I heat shrinked both ends and used high visibility 14 gauge yellow wire so I could check on it occasionally with out taking the starter off.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back