372 vacuum/pressure test, what am I doing wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI,
I just put bearings and seals in a 372xp and when I pressure test it, I get a few bubbles between the pto side crankshaft and the bushing that the seal rides on. I got the saw as a basket case and think I did everything right on assembly? Thanks for looking.

There is a very thin O ring that goes between the bushing and the bearing on that side, it is so thin it gets squished to oblivion when that side is tightened up, that is why they are not seen on disassembly, you may not have that in there, many have put these saws together without these O rings without leaks but maybe you're the one.

In 044s, if you tighten the clutch up to the bushing you will get the seal you are looking for upon the vacuum/pressure test. Not usually if you do not tighten the clutch. I have done enough 044s to know if you replace the seals and impulse then you very nearly will never get leaks from those areas.

Dont know about the 372 but I would suspect it is the same.

O ring does make a difference when vacuun checking. I have found them many times on disassembling 365/372/375 saws. Some say you can get by without it, but I always install one and they hold vacuum unless seal is leaking between metal ring and case. Motoseal will take care of that. How long will it hold 7 pounds falling to 0?

I guess that I am a little confused, the seal rides on the sleeve bushing thick end doesn't it?
Yes. Thick end in, washer sits on ridge. Then oil pump followed by worm gear. O ring goes on crank before installing bushing.

So if the seal rides on the thick part of the sleeve, what stops air from going between the crankshaft and the sleeve it's self?
O ring goes on crank and install bushing over it. Put oil on it. O ring is the seal between crank and sleave. It is thin.

yes, now I see what you mean, the o-ring is between the sleeve and the bearing! Thanks, I may have thought it was just some wood hair, lol

It happens

One time I sliced myself wide open right behind my ankle and to the top.
I was laying down while my buddy was wraping it up and looked to the side and saw what looked to be a piece of white rubber about and 1" 1/2 long and about 1/4" in the middle. I picked it up and asked what it was ..it crossed our minds that it may have come out of my leg but it was so clean looking...I figured it couldn't be so I had it between my teeth checking it out then bit down real hard, shearing it in half with my teeth and throw it back on the ground.

Meanwhile after x-rays, the doc comes back in and says I will need surgery and there was a large portion of my tendon missing.

All I was thinking is..oh G-d..I hope my buddy doesn't say anything.
As soon as the doc left he slaps me on the shoulder like he just made this huge discovery, then says...That was that rubber looking thing you ate remember? Lol
So yeah... always pay attention to detail especially when they could be your own body parts.

I'm like a misbehaving child.

Latest posts

Back