372 xp advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjo75

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm looking at a saw comparable to the 461. I've been reading good things on the 372. Can you adjust the carb? My last 3 Stihls have the electronic carb and I hate them all. My latest 661 C is practically new but out of warranty and won't even idle. They say its the low idle solenoid. If it had a screw I could fix it in 5 seconds. I'm also assuming Husqvarna still has the screw type filler caps as opposed to the crappy stihl flip caps. Those 2 differences right there are enough to make me swap back to Huskys. That and Stihls crappy customer service. I only have about 20 Stihls right now but I'm just about to start swapping over. Thanks for any advice.

There is OE 372 and NE 372. All have adjustable carbs. I have a guy coming to look at this one this morning. Listed it for $425 and said he wanted yesterday PHO. This one is NE

View attachment 650769
JJ, what does NE mean? NEw, NEandethal, Non Existent, New England? I live in Nebraska. Thanks.

The 372xp is a very good saw. One of the all time best.

Saw historians, please interject if I get this wrong, but here's how I think the OE/XT labels break down.

372 has 3 major iterations, kind of like Stihl 046, ms460, ms461 though the 372 has a 371 predecessor more similar to the 046. The Original Edition (OE) 372 is a great saw with an unlimited coil. I think most of them had the "air injection" decal. Then there is a OE that was given a limited coil. Theses typically have a standard decal and are also excellent saws. Both OE's had the same fairly traditional cylinder design with a decomp valve on the side.

The latest 372xp is a strato saw. It has the x-torq strato technology found in many younger Husqvarna saws. It is commonly referred to as a 372xt. It has a decomp valve on top, says x-torq on the decal, and is also an excellent saw.

Many saw guys (like me) dislike strato technology and prefer the simplicity of the earlier versions. They are slightly easier to work on and replace parts affordably though all three versions interchange well (along with the 365 and 371). When buying a used 372 you could end up with parts from many different years.

No saw is perfect. The 372 likes to wallow out top cover bolts and has potential to overheat in the inboard clutch. They have several different carbs (none are computerized) and some are better than others. They're pretty heavy too. But I think they're my favorite saw EVER.

The 372xp is a very good saw. One of the all time best.

Saw historians, please interject if I get this wrong, but here's how I think the OE/XT labels break down.

372 has 3 major iterations, kind of like Stihl 046, ms460, ms461 though the 372 has a 371 predecessor more similar to the 046. The Original Edition (OE) 372 is a great saw with an unlimited coil. I think most of them had the "air injection" decal. Then there is a OE that was given a limited coil. Theses typically have a standard decal and are also excellent saws. Both OE's had the same fairly traditional cylinder design with a decomp valve on the side.

The latest 372xp is a strato saw. It has the x-torq strato technology found in many younger Husqvarna saws. It is commonly referred to as a 372xt. It has a decomp valve on top, says x-torq on the decal, and is also an excellent saw.

Many saw guys (like me) dislike strato technology and prefer the simplicity of the earlier versions. They are slightly easier to work on and replace parts affordably though all three versions interchange well (along with the 365 and 371). When buying a used 372 you could end up with parts from many different years.

No saw is perfect. The 372 likes to wallow out top cover bolts and has potential to overheat in the inboard clutch. They have several different carbs (none are computerized) and some are better than others. They're pretty heavy too. But I think they're my favorite saw EVER.
Just left out the 372xpw oe, in both the 71cc flavor and the 75cc, and they are available in an xtorq version as well, but not in a 75cc saw. That being said the 51.3mm piston/cylinder that makes the oe into a 75cc saw can be swapped to the xtorq chassis.
It can become confusing for sure.
I say grab one of each, I'm a kinesthetic learner:chainsaw:.

I did forget the XPW! I haven't run one, partially because they're more rare. Like Chipper1 said, the newer X-torq XPW isn't much different than an XT. Same cylinder and internals. Supposedly the non -strato ones have more grunt for the 28"-36" cuts.

It bears mentioning that the OE versions aren't available new anymore. So you HAVE to buy used. The 372xt is still in production and can be bought new from the dealer. Husqvarna now has a 576 that is reputed to be a good saw, also a strato and most have a computerized carb. Too newfangled for my taste.
The 572 is also in the limited release stage in Europe, and will likely replace the 372 completely. Get a 372. Quick!

I did forget the XPW! I haven't run one, partially because they're more rare. Like Chipper1 said, the newer X-torq XPW isn't much different than an XT. Same cylinder and internals. Supposedly the non -strato ones have more grunt for the 28"-36" cuts.

It bears mentioning that the OE versions aren't available new anymore. So you HAVE to buy used. The 372xt is still in production and can be bought new from the dealer. Husqvarna now has a 576 that is reputed to be a good saw, also a strato and most have a computerized carb. Too newfangled for my taste.
The 572 is also in the limited release stage in Europe, and will likely replace the 372 completely. Get a 372. Quick!
I think a lot of them will be up for sale this fall as the rush to try the newest bestest saw in the world happens:lol:.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1LgueaMpyZgKVGUW2

I forgot to mention that low idle solenoids on M-tronic carbs are easy to swap. Just be careful with the o-ring. I have heard from others that all the m-tronic components have an extended 3 year warranty. A lot of dealers pretend that's not so. I haven't pursued it, The earlier versions of the m-tronic have a dirty history of running lean, blowing solenoids, and burning coils. All expensive parts. The Husky "Auto tune" carb system probably has problems too.
I do own an m-tronic and it's a great saw. I have another that works okay as a wheel chock. Quality control these days.

Back