372XP Keep it or Move it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What to do, what to do?

I've had my 372XP for about 6 + months now and to be honest I just can't warm up to this saw. If I'm cutting firewood I usually grab my 357XP. If I need a bigger saw I grab the PS7900. Well over the past 3 weeks I've been putting time on the 372XP trying to decide whether to lose it or keep it.

Today I had about 30 to 40 rounds, white oak and cherry 16 to 18 inches long by 20 to 30 inches in diameter to halve so I could get them on the splitter. (Pics attached) Started out with the 372XP 20 inch B&C. Seemed to take forever to do 1/2 dozen. Grabbed the PS7900, (now that's what I'm talking about), and finished the job. With a 28 inch bar it was smokin' the 372XP and just kept pulling noodles the more I leaned on it.

After that I decided the 372XP is going to come down with a case of the swap. I'm thinking trade it towards another PS7900 before they like all good saws head for EPA heaven. It's not that the 372XP is a bad saw, it's just doesn't fit my needs. With a 357XP on one side and the PS7900 on the other it's kind of in limbo.

Talked to a local Stihl dealer while I was picking up some chains Friday. He wants me to trade it on a used MS880 he has. I have no need for a saw that big. I suppose I could put it in the shop and look at.

Anyway I'm open to suggestions, it just seems like a bunch of money to have tied up in a saw I'll probably not use much if at all.

Thanks in Advance

Take Care

I'll give you $200 for it:greenchainsaw: Just kidding I think you will warm up to it I have one and am happy as hell with it after doing a muffler mod.

Trade it in for a 395xp.
My plan was to use my 372xp for a main saw and 395xp for bigger stuff and back up. But since I've brought my 395xp it's turned into a main saw and it never breaks, so I it really doesn't give a back up saw much of a chance to get used.

The 395xp is one of the smoothest saws out there. I get more worn out using my 372xp all day than I do my 395xp.

I say move it, if it's not getting used push it off on someone else and get something that is worth your time, like a hooker:biggrinbounce2:

Im sorta in the same situation cuz i have a new MS440 that i purchased before they all disappeared lol.....Then i have a older 372XP. It needed a crank and piston, yet it looks brand new and still runs great. Also i have a 6401 converted to a 7901 lol. Its very hard to deside which saw to use. Ive though about offing one or maybe 2 or maybe even trading for a smaller new saw like a ms361 even though i have a 036..ahhhhhhhhhhh. I was gonna sell most of my saws due to my financial situation until things started to turn around. Except for the 440, all the other saws were all purchased used and blown up. Ive grown very attached to these saws since i fixed them. I think you should keep the saw cuz you never know what will happen and you might regret selling that saw later on.

I would send it out

For a woods port.. Then it will make your 7900 the dust collector on the shelf.. Those 372s really come to life.. I have ran two or three 372s that will eat my 7900s lunch... I would not want a stock 372..But a ported one, say heck yeah...

You might want to think about getting that 880 from the dealer; if it is in nice shape. They bring primo money on Ebay.

I like the porting idea too, ported saws give saws new life and a big smile for the operator.

For a woods port.. Then it will make your 7900 the dust collector on the shelf.. Those 372s really come to life.. I have ran two or three 372s that will eat my 7900s lunch... I would not want a stock 372..But a ported one, say heck yeah...

:agree2: I ran Andyshines ported 372 at your GTG and that puppy did rip, it was fun to run, I don't believe I used a stock 372 there so I wouldn't know what that runs like. But I do believe the poeted 372 would give the 7900 a run for the money, whats the weight difference??

I've give it a nice swift kick down the road.

Frankly I'm surprised so many people think the 372xp is the best thing since sliced bread. When I bought my 7900, I compared it to the Jred and the Husky. Forgetting the fact that the 7900 was cheaper, it was a no brainer IMO when the saws were side by side.

Although I've thought about buying a 372xp just because everyone talks it up to no end on this site, I know I would never use it. Same with the 361. In fact, I also have a 036 and never use it. These days it seems like I use the 200T for all my small limbing, and the 7900 or 064 for the majority of my work from 6" to 30". If I get into some really large stuff, I typically grab the 3120... and the rest of the saws basically collect dust. I think I'm going to throw a 660 BB P&C on my 064 this winter, and after doing this I highly doubt I'd have any use at all for a 372. So I'm going to pass on adding yet another dust collector to the saw pile. I'd recommend you do the same. Get another 7900 or maybe a 660 if you don't already have one.

Just my 2 cents...

:agree2: I ran Andyshines ported 372 at your GTG and that puppy did rip, it was fun to run, I don't believe I used a stock 372 there so I wouldn't know what that runs like. But I do believe the poeted 372 would give the 7900 a run for the money, whats the weight difference??
They are about the same weight. The 372 might be a couple of ounces lighter, but it's almost a push. Remember, the 372 is more expensive out of the box. Adding the cost of a woods porting job and you're talking significantly more money. On top of that, now you're comparing modded saw vs. stock saw.

Last edited:
I'd be more than happy to take your "problem" off your hands....I already got one and be happy to have another. PM me if'n ya wanna move it.

Hang on to the 372 for your midrange saw, and replace the 7900 with something bigger.

I can't tell ya what to do with those saws of yours, but I will tell ya, you need a log lift on that splitter. Then you quit screwin around and get some wood split.

Noodle cutting is fun.....:popcorn: :)

Seriously, I would have liked to see the chains on both saws, and test them with the same one, before doing anything drastic.....

....but of course there should be some difference, as they aren't really in the same class...

Last edited:
Noodle cutting is fun.....:popcorn: :)

Seriously, I would have liked to see the chains on both saws, and test them with the same one, before doing anything drastic.....

....but of course there should be some difference, as they aren't really in the same class...

:agree2: Yes noodle cutting or splitting is fun for me too but I would use my 066 mag with the sprocket cover removed and bar nuts with washers under them. Or if I had a 395xp it would be used too. My 090 works good though. A modded saw doesn't have the durability of a stock saw, so money spent on mods and lost depreciation is better spent on a bigger saw if you keep splitting big blocks to put on your splitter.

Latest posts

Back