372xp question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawnut460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive heard of some guys using 385 carbs on modified 372s? Is it a simple bolt on? Are there any real gains? Obviously the cylinder and muffler would be modified but just wondering if theres any real advantage to it

I think i have a 385 carb. I'd be willing to let it go. Can anybody verify make and model carb on a 385?

Most have found no real gain using the 372XT or 385XP carbs on the woods ported 372XP saws. You have to use the 385 boot and the 372XT air filter elbow and screws to make the conversion.

The XT carb is the RWJ-4.

Leave the upper-lower divider in the carb or it will tend to run lean.

The 385 carb has diagonal bolt pattern. The Walbro HDA 12-1 has a side by side pattern. So to do the swith you'd need to use the 385 boot and knuckle. Sadly the 372 has a bigger knuckle than the 385. The only feasible way I've come up with is to make a clamp ring that goes on the intake flange so that the boot fits. Are the gains worth the effort? Well depends on what you're wanting to do with the saw.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The 385 carb has diagonal bolt pattern. The Walbro HDA 12-1 has a side by side pattern. So to do the swith you'd need to use the 385 boot and knuckle. Sadly the 372 has a bigger knuckle than the 385. The only feasible way I've come up with is to make a clamp ring that goes on the intake flange so that the boot fits. Are the gains worth the effort? Well depends on what you're wanting to do with the saw.

Please note that I was talking about the xp. And completely forgot about the xt

I think i have a 385 carb. I'd be willing to let it go. Can anybody verify make and model carb on a 385?

As far as I know most 355s came with the Tillotson HS-296/299, but some may have come With the Walbro WJ-116. Both have a 17.5 mm venturi, like the HD-12. The throttle bore likely is larger on the 385 carbs though.

The 372xpXT use the Walbro RWJ-4, that has a 19.05 mm venturi.

What differense this makes (or doesn't make) depends on a series of other variables, again as far as I know.....

A few have done it and liked the change in throttle response. I think TK did it but I think the thread is I the mud pit f you know what I mean.

Latest posts

Back