372xp questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When im runnin my 372xp in the cold weather-less than 20 degrees, the saw will start up, warm up, and idle fine until i cut about 4 or 5 blocks (totaly warmed up) then when i release the throttle and it trys to idle it will stall out...is this the carb "iceing up"? doesnt do it very often when its warm out-32 and up degrees....but what i also got to thinkin is it might be vaporlocking-i'll unscrew the gas cap and put it back on then start the saw and it will run fine for a bit then stall out??-how do i fix that? any ideas?

second question-this saw is the 71cc version-how long of a bar can it handle in NY hardwoods-hard maple, cherry, ash, etc. im starting to get into some firewood logs that are a bit to much for my 20" and would like to step up a couple inches, so i dont have to "double cut". thanks for any suggestion and diretion pointing

thanks

20"

When im runnin my 372xp in the cold weather-less than 20 degrees, the saw will start up, warm up, and idle fine until i cut about 4 or 5 blocks (totaly warmed up) then when i release the throttle and it trys to idle it will stall out...is this the carb "iceing up"? doesnt do it very often when its warm out-32 and up degrees....but what i also got to thinkin is it might be vaporlocking-i'll unscrew the gas cap and put it back on then start the saw and it will run fine for a bit then stall out??-how do i fix that? any ideas?

second question-this saw is the 71cc version-how long of a bar can it handle in NY hardwoods-hard maple, cherry, ash, etc. im starting to get into some firewood logs that are a bit to much for my 20" and would like to step up a couple inches, so i dont have to "double cut". thanks for any suggestion and diretion pointing

thanks

It is you tank vent if it is doing that. And it will handle a 24" well in hardwood. But what it wrong with double cutting? It is more suited with a 20" though....:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

None of my saws ice up at only 20 degrees, check your tank vent and or fuel filter. Lots of guys have been having tank vent problems lately for some reason

how do i get to the tank vent???-i've never gone elbow deep in this saw, just takin the shields/panels off for routine cleaning, and the sprocket area.

One the double cuttin side-i dont have a problem w/ that...just would like a couple more inches so that some of it is reduced, but didnt know how many more inches this saw could handle. thanks for the help

fuel filter is good-already checked that, but am goin to order a new one to have on hand

Last edited:
Well four more inches is gonna cost you another $60 for a bigger bar and chain. The saw can handle it easily. It can handle a 28" bar too.

I dont have a 372XP but the tank vent is usually next to the carb in the airbox. Take the air filter off and have a look

trapdoor to the carby

My 288 has a trapdoor or a window from the carb side of the aircleaner cover to the cylinder side. I bileve that is to get a bit more heat on the carb. I dont know if the 372 has it i'll look on mine.

372 runs 24" nice in maple, it would run bigger.

Andy-we all know you have your personal problems but please dont tell them to every one please LOL j/k j/k

i'll have a look see at that tomarow when i get out of school. I'm not to concerned on the bar issue yet...but was just curious to see what yall had to say this saw can handle...thanks

The tank vent is located almost directly opposite of the filler cap and up. The only way to access it is to take the fuel tank/rear handle assembly off. The outside exposure is between the case and the fuel tank.
I have never had a problem with one failing, but if you are getting snow or moisture far up into the crack between the tank and case. It is possible that it could get wet and then freeze over.
The vent is a white fiber material that is pressed in. I had to replace a broken tank assembly once and the new one came without a vent. The dealer did not have one and acted like he couldn't get one. The way that I finally got it out was to sharply whack the broken tank against the work bench. About four good whacks and it was sticking out far enough to pull out with my fingers. Then I pushed it into the new tank and it worked fine.

My 288 has a trapdoor or a window from the carb side of the aircleaner cover to the cylinder side. I bileve that is to get a bit more heat on the carb. I dont know if the 372 has it i'll look on mine.

372 runs 24" nice in maple, it would run bigger.

Pretty important to open that "door" when it is really cold - but even more important to close it again when it gets warmer (plus 5 or more).

i always run my saws in -35c weather and never have problems with the carb freezeing. but i always have trouble wtiht he tank vent freezing up. i can tell its the tank vent because when the saw is off and i open the fuel cap, i can hear air rush by the cap and into the fuel tank due to the negative presure in the tank.
i think its because i keep my saws inside the house and when i go outside to use them, a little bit of condensation collects on the warm tank vent. After a couple minutes of being outside and having cold air ran past the vent, it freezes.

Joe-ok that would make sense b/c i looked in the area around the carb and didnt find a thing LOL-wonder why LOL

Another thing that i got thinkin about-back before this problem started, i had cut apart a dead and dry ash tree that had fallen across a seasonal road-all the chips were nothin more than real fine and thick dust...would some of this dust collected ontop of this vent and reduce the air flow when moisture freezes on it??

Joe-ok that would make sense b/c i looked in the area around the carb and didnt find a thing LOL-wonder why LOL

Another thing that i got thinkin about-back before this problem started, i had cut apart a dead and dry ash tree that had fallen across a seasonal road-all the chips were nothin more than real fine and thick dust...would some of this dust collected ontop of this vent and reduce the air flow when moisture freezes on it??

That dust is a REAL sign of a dull chain.......:greenchainsaw:

ha ha

It is possible that dust is built up over the vent.

Dead trees that are starting to decompose make lots of fine dust even with a very sharp chain.

Ha ha, believe me I know.....but the way he talked it was solid dead wood not rotten. When you cut dead trees, there will be very little fine dust mixed in with the huge chips, that it should be making. There will also be some dust that is very annoying on dead ash,oak especially when rooster tailing and the saw is vertical in the log. It gets in my eyes... And the wood you're talking about the saw flys through in like 2 sec. I cut very few dead trees anymore, only the straight solid ones...we used to bring out all the dead oak and sell it as firewood and deliver it with the mill's log trucks. But I didn't make enough money off it to bother with it anymore,now just straight logging when it starts back up again....:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :cheers: :clap: :)

Today I took the gas tank partly off (only had to do it part way- i was able to get to the vent) and it had some fine dust around it. the screen itself had a film/coat of wet dust (had gas in it b/c i had the saw tipped to the side when takin scews out). I cleaned everything off the screen and area...guess when i clean my saw i need to stick the air compressor nozzle inbetween the tank and crankcase area and get that build up out...Lesson learned.

I put everything together and started it up ran fine, but wasnt by the log pile to cut anything so i couldnt run it like i usually would when it would stall out.

That ash tree really dry and soft, and i had just sharpened my chain earlier that day-first thing i cut. the only spot i got actual chips was by the stump end, and the rest of it was really fine sawdust and a couple chips here and there.

i always run my saws in -35c weather and never have problems with the carb freezeing. but i always have trouble wtiht he tank vent freezing up. i can tell its the tank vent because when the saw is off and i open the fuel cap, i can hear air rush by the cap and into the fuel tank due to the negative presure in the tank.
i think its because i keep my saws inside the house and when i go outside to use them, a little bit of condensation collects on the warm tank vent. After a couple minutes of being outside and having cold air ran past the vent, it freezes.

Keep them in the shed, or a cold cellar.....

Back