372XP Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a Husky 372XP. It well used but I got a great pice on it. A couple of questions. What is the lowest compression it should have before it needs a new top end?

How come this saw doesnt have the large heavy duty air filter? Did they make a couple of versions? Can the larger filter be added?This is my first Husky. I must say........ I like it !

The large filter can be added. You'll need the manifold: 503 81 78-01, the filter: 503 81 80-01, flanged knob: 502 20 83-02, clamping bolt: 502 20 65-04, the HD filter cover: 503 81 77-01. Should cost you about $49 in new parts to switch it over.

I'd say anything below 140 is no good. 150 or higher is great.

Parrisw the 372's run a little lower than many saws don't know why.
Mine gets 148 so it is within your parameters but that was when I
first modded it with a bb I have not checked it broke in but it sure
seemed to power up after breakin!

Parrisw the 372's run a little lower than many saws don't know why.
Mine gets 148 so it is within your parameters but that was when I
first modded it with a bb I have not checked it broke in but it sure
seemed to power up after breakin!

Ya?? I wouldn't be happy with anything less then 140, and I bet your saw is a bit up in psi since its broke in!! I got a 038super that has a scored piston, that will pull 165psi. I think my 394xp was around 150 mark.

The large filter can be added. You'll need the manifold: 503 81 78-01, the filter: 503 81 80-01, flanged knob: 502 20 83-02, clamping bolt: 502 20 65-04, the HD filter cover: 503 81 77-01. Should cost you about $49 in new parts to switch it over.

I switched my 365 over, and it seems to breath a little easier...

I just picked up a Husky 372XP. It well used but I got a great pice on it. A couple of questions. What is the lowest compression it should have before it needs a new top end?

How come this saw doesnt have the large heavy duty air filter? Did they make a couple of versions? Can the larger filter be added?This is my first Husky. I must say........ I like it !

They look much better with the low filter - the high one adds some weight + bulk, and is only needed in very dusty conditions.

Why should the 372 need it, when the 2171 doesn't?

Last edited:
They look much better with the low filter - the high one adds some weight + bulk, and is only needed in very dirty conditions.

Why should the 372 need it, when the 2171 doesn't?

Come on Troll, it doesn't weigh enough to matter. I changed over because I got a high top that was orange, and a low top that had turned brown. I like the low top look better, but hated the brown worse. The high top won.

mark

As it goes for any 2 stroke, any less than around 115 pounds of compression and it wont even fire anymore. I would rebuild it if it had less than 130 pounds.

How much compression should I have on a freshly rebuilt top end? How much difference do you get doing a copmressiom test on a cold engine compared to a warm one?

Last edited:
How much compression should I have on a freshly rebuilt top end? How much difference do you get doing a copmressiom test on a cold engine compared to a warm one?

I'd guess a fresh top end will pull 150-165 range. It'll come up 5-10lbs after a few tanks.

My saws drop around 10lbs after they warm up. Been a while since I've tested them.

Latest posts

Back