385 x torque die off at warm idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Felling saw at work is a 385 xtorque, fairly new saw (i don't own it). Runs great but power/weight ratio I prefer my 372. Any who. Once this saw warms up it likes to die off at decel after cutting....like checking far side of face match up and having restart the sob. Does it both with laying recoil side up and normal top end up. And am I missing something with these newer saws? Bc when I have restart it after it dies, I have to pull choke out and push back in to get it to set at that high idle carb setting or else I gotta crank it and rush to the throttle.

Seems to me as carb L setting and idle speed? I haven't thought to hold it upside down for flip test but will do that and see if it maybe flooding? Doesn't really seem like air leek but thought I'd describe it and see what others think?
Probably will take my tach and screw driver to work and check it. These 385 should be same as 372's....2700idle and 13500 max?

Thanks!

I maybe off on the x torque part, I know the 372 is one and maybe why I'm thinking this is too. Its newer than 07 unless it's been tucked on a shelf.

But my restart remedy so far with choke reset is just bc of tune issue and not a normal with these saws??. I have a personal 03 372 and it has been great and never had to mess with choke this way

Sounds like what my older 372 is doing. It's not an X-torque, but it runs great when I'm cutting, then dies when I let off the throttle for more than a second or two. Always starts right back up, but it's a pain in the rear to have to restart it every time i finish a cut.

I own a 385xp and it is not an xtorq and there never has been an x-torq 385

That's true, and the model was replaced by the 390xp around 2006/2007 (still no x-torq designation). There was parallell production for a while, or at least it looked that way in some Husky documents/websites of the time.

You're on it. Sounds like it's too fat on the low side and loading up while idling. Lean the low side out 1/8th turn or so and see how it reacts.

Spec Max rpm is 13k
If remember correctly sounds like what was going on with my 372xp and this was what fixed my problem.

It was made from 2001 to 2007, never caught on cause most folks bought a 390.

The models mostly wasn't available at the same time, and the 385 did well enough in its time. The 390 appeared late 2006, and they offered both models only a short time.

I always suspected that the change really had something to do with the EPA regulations of the time (possibly the California variety) - as did the use of the 75cc top end on the 372xpw at the same time.

The reason I suspect this is simple; I can't really see any other reason that they would put larger but less well ported top ends on both models.

What it sounds like to me is the saw is actually tuned a bit too lean. Before I cut the limiters off my 357xp way back when, it would stall out after making a cut in larger wood. It was at stock carb adustment which in my case was with the jets both turned as rich as possibly with the limiters in place. So after getting sick of this issue, I pulled the sparkplug and found it gray, not good, too lean. Cut the limiters and re-tuned and it has never had that problem since.

Cut the limiters and re-tune. I bet the problem will go away.

Sorry about the x-torque tagging mistake, didn't mean for the confusion. Use both the 385 and 372 side by side and fingers go faster at times.

I'll have to get boss's clearance to adjust the saw when we are finally able to get back in the woods after the snow settles down and we can get back to work.

Anyone have a real world weight on the 385 gassed and oiled up with a 24" bar? Saw has a little more low end than the 372 but for the extra weight I don't see much benefit at the end of the day.

I'd like to run my big bore 046 next to the 385 and see the difference. I matched up the intake and exhaust ports and smoothened them up, opened up muffler. Left in base gasket until I get a few hours on it and then may take it down. Squish is in .03 or .04 range with stock gasket in, id have to check notes for actual number but I know it can be tightened up some. My 046 will cut faster than my personal 372 but when I lean into it the 372 keeps eating compared to 046 (chains maybe to blame though so may not be completely accurate evaluation)

Back