385xp bearings.... alternatives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyo

Youtube Speciawist
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
20141208_153701[1].jpg Ok, so I need an education....

I opened up my 385xp and removed the bearings. It looks like flywheel side is a 6203 ... crank measures .669 (17mm diameter) and the thickness of the bearing itself is .471 on my micrometer (12mm is .472)

PTO side is same diameter, inner and outer, just thicker ... .511 on my mic (or 1.297mm). Why oh why can't we just use a regular 6203 sealed bearing in its place?

On the flywheel side, there appears to be an oil seal seperate from the bearing. On the PTO side, no seal other than the seal inherent to the bearing. Still, seems to be that its silly to have a $40 bearing on the PTO side that is nearly identical to a 6203 except fatter. I'm all for heavier duty, but obviously they've made such a bearing nearly impossible to buy other than from a husky dealer.

Thoughts, comments??? anyone know of a "thicker" 6203 thats more easily accessable than a $40 oem part?

No idea why. I ran into that same issue a couple years ago.... didn't mind using OEM, but no local (+/-50 miles) could get one. Waited months, until one arrived... bad bearing ended up wallowing case. J.B. welded and sold it... Stupid sealed/not sealed bearings!!!

That bearing would be $50 from Stihl.

Just get the OEM bearing and be done with it. There was a problem with the PTO side bearings leaking bw the over race and the crank. Husky updated the bearing. This is one of the few Husky saws that uses a proprietary bearing unlike Stihl which uses them in all of there new-ish models.

Better yet, anyone object to me trying 2x 6203's?
Well, I already have ordered the OEM, but that was before I pulled these out.... I'm just not sure at this point what'd be wrong w/ using a 6203 sealed bearing for both sides....

Have at it. Just make sure to disclose this if you sell it.:dizzy::dizzy:

I don't have a picture of the seal. By the time you buy a good bearing and their seal you're in it around $30. The bearing is around $40 from husky.

Please reread my post above:

"Well, I already have ordered the OEM, but that was before I pulled these out.... I'm just not sure at this point what'd be wrong w/ using a 6203 sealed bearing for both sides...."

so, I do know that OEM is $40, as the thread implies, looking for alternatives to OEM... and to continue the theme, still wondering why I can't use two 6203's..... .... perhaps oem husky seal on flywheel side with open bearing 6203 .... and a sealed 6203 on pto side.... SOMEONE has to know the reasons why and why not...and can give me better information than "buy oem" .... which I have already done, though I am waiting on the parts delivery at present time.

I missed that part before. I guess you could assemble it with a sealed bearing and pressure/vac test it. It may help a lot of us if you did this test.

Happy to do it .... if I only knew how to vac test :) .... s'ok....I'll get something figure out. Seems to me that husky used a fatter bearing on PTO side for a TINY bit of extra reinforcement .... but it'd be nice if someone KNEW the reasons why and why not etc.

sorry nmurph, didn't take your post into account.... yes, i imagine it is.... but even percentage wise it isn't much width.... now I'm curious to see what shows up as a newer OEM bearing.... i think mine is old ...gotta go pull the SN

Latest posts

Back