385xp bearings.... alternatives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the bearings in the case first. I then set a heat gun up and warm the bearings up in the case and put the crank in.

a guy should be aware that the PTO bearing on these saws can be punched in one side and out the other. the PTO side should be pressed on crank first rather then pressed in the case. i've seen oil pumps mounted over a bearing that would not allow it to seat on the case like it is supposed to.

The pto bearing also needs to be mounted flush inside the case.... so thats what I went by. But its a good point. Seems to me the way MM does it is he actually has a junk oil pump installed, and presses the bearing in from inside the case until it stops at the oil pump... i'll try installing the oil pump tomorrow and see what happens...

You use a temp gun to verify your case temp? What your looking for is roughly 250 degree temp difference between bearing and case. So if the bearing is only 30 degrees you may have to take the case temp up to 275.

The pto bearing also needs to be mounted flush inside the case.... so thats what I went by. But its a good point. Seems to me the way MM does it is he actually has a junk oil pump installed, and presses the bearing in from inside the case until it stops at the oil pump... i'll try installing the oil pump tomorrow and see what happens...

That is how I do them after seeing some of Randy threads but be careful the heat can ruin a pump pretty easy. I have a junk pump I use for some.

Take your heat higher. After reading your problem it got me thinking. I set my toaster oven on 250 or a shade higher but I think it actually gets the cases hotter than that set temp. Been a long time since I had the temp gun out. I know my routine and so I haven't checked the true temps in quite awhile

Back