385xp oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkupcha

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I inherited a used 2002 Husky 385xp. Started it up just fine, but as I was running it I noticed an excess amount of oil on the wood I was cutting then extra oil dripping out and down on the guard on the bar side, finally it began to smoke a little which I believe was just the excess oil burniing on the now hot engine.
Now I'm not much of a small engine mechanic but can anybody offer some suggestions so I don't have to take it into the dealer? I guess I should first look up where the oil adjustment is, maybe it just got loose or something but I don't own the manual. I'll search on the internet for it. But thanks if anybody has some ideas for me. - Joe

If you turn the saw upside down and look at it from underneith you should see a screw head in vicinity of the clutch drum. Follow the legend on the saw for the adjustment (thre will be + and - arrows). You may need to blow out the area with compressed air or brush it out to be able to see this. You can also get an instruction manual and IPL for your saw at husqvarna.com, click on support, and then enter model number.

How much oil are we talking about? Like a few drops? Did you run out of oil before you ran out of gas? Is there a leak when the saw is off or only when it's running? Also are you certain that your bar is the right bar for the saw and the oil holes lign up? was the chain getting good oil?

Mike
First let me say thanks for your help, now to answer your questions
-oil leaking only when saw is running
-only ran saw for 15 minutes so not out of oil or fuel
-saw chain was lubricated and while running and pointed at stump sprayed oil lightly on stump (this seemed correct)
- pretty sure we have the correct bar and chain
- orange cover on bar side became covered with oil when saw is running (much more than a few drops) stopped when saw is turned off.

Ok I will try the suggestions you made. maybe the oil adjustment screw came out or loose because the saw hasn't been run in at least a season. Also I will remove the bar and make sure oil holes are aligned and cleaned out. If you have any more tips keep them coming. Is there an oil line that might have come loose/cracked? How does oil get from tank to bar?

Update
OK I took it apart checked the oiler hole on the bar, (flipped the bar) cleaned it up, torqued the oil adjustment to tight (was loose) fired it up. Cut some wood and saw the oil again dripping down the orange plastic guard on the bar side. On closer inspection i realized that it is not oil but fuel mixed with a little oil and sawdust making a sludge which I mistook for oil. So its not oil but fuel leaking. I found a crack on the botton of the fuel tank ridge along the botton of the saw that would be the first to touch the ground if you set the saw down.
Not sure how the leaky fuel from the bottom would migrate up to the hot parts of the engine (vibration?) but the fuel sludge was found up around the bar side guard and smoking on the piston housing. I guess I will need to shop for a used 385xp fuel tank replacement now. - Joe

Latest posts

Back