390 pipe build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All port timing numbers are spot on what I was shooting for. Compression is exactly where we wanted it, right at 180 PSI. I suspect there's a fair amount more to be found in tweaking the pipe, but I think we've got a good start here.

Saw sounds nice. :msp_thumbup:

This is the first saw I've ever built for a pipe. It's a whole new ball of wax for me. Frankly, I couldn't have done this without help. Much thanks goes to Frank and Eric.

There's a lot of fine tuning left to be done to this thing. We'll probably spend a day playing with the length of the belly, stinger length, possibly the header length. I've yet to do anything with ignition timing. Even the porting could get some tweaking. However, I think we're off to a good start here. I tested in the same log that I ran the ported 395XP in. However, I cut on the opposite end. I've not measured to see how close the diameter was. But, for what it's worth, the 390 is faster by more than 25%! Now that's what I'm talkin' about:clap:

that pipe makes me want a 250r saw again ..........

you need a good chain and good wood to put that saw in then youll know how much its still needing. your in the bottom end of the 6 cube class with that saw so it will need to be right if you have a hope of winning anything. ofcourse having the saw right is only half the battle. now you need to learn to cold start it and put it thru the wood smoothly. its a total package that wins races.

I have no itentions of "racing". GTG fun is the most I plan to do.

The saw is running great, but still needs a lot of tweaking to recognize it's potential. Gink and I talked this evening and we're planning our path forward. It's not too bad for a first stab though. Today, it's single best cut time in 8x8 was 1.17 and in 10x10 was 1.92. Three cuts in 10x10 was 6.07.

[video=youtube_share;1prVCW7c4_o]http://youtu.be/1prVCW7c4_o[/video]

I have no itentions of "racing". GTG fun is the most I plan to do.

The saw is running great, but still needs a lot of tweaking to recognize it's potential. Gink and I talked this evening and we're planning our path forward. It's not too bad for a first stab though. Today, it's single best cut time in 8x8 was 1.17 and in 10x10 was 1.92. Three cuts in 10x10 was 6.07.

Not knowing the first thing about racing how would those times stack up against real race saws in that wood in that class?

Times from Webster Springs-Saturday.

16" white pine.

10x10=100 in. sq.

16" round= 201 in. sq.

From Saturday :

Here are the hotsaw times for today.
1 maciel vincent 4.42
2 robert freeman4.59
3 dave engasser 4.60
4 mike eash# # # #4.62
5 jay coffman# # #4.64
6 jp mercier# # # #4.68
7 bill cogar# # # # #4.69
8 john postemski4.69
9 matt cogar# # # 4.85
10js bertrand# # # 4.91
11ken freeman# # 4.92
12matt slingerland5.04
12 mel lentz# # # # #5.04

Last edited:
Times from Webster Springs-Saturday.

1 maciel vincent 4.42
2 robert freeman4.59
3 dave engasser 4.60
4 mike eash# # # #4.62
5 jay coffman# # #4.64
6 jp mercier# # # #4.68
7 bill cogar# # # # #4.69
8 john postemski4.69
9 matt cogar# # # 4.85
10js bertrand# # # 4.91
11ken freeman# # 4.92
12matt slingerland5.04
12 mel lentz# # # # #5.04

Actually, Webster wood is 12 inch Tulip (Yellow Poplar). Basically the same size as a 10x10.

Dont forget that webster times are cold start, saws not running on ground and hands on top of cant or rounds. So on average knock at least a second off those times to compare to a hotstart over wood time.

Frank, I know there is some tuning and experimenting left to do on the pipe- but I can definitely say first hand that the craftmanship on that pipe is absolutely top notch. Very beautiful piece of work is an understatement.

Frank, I know there is some tuning and experimenting left to do on the pipe- but I can definitely say first hand that the craftmanship on that pipe is absolutely top notch. Very beautiful piece of work is an understatement.

Thanks Alot! We'll get it sorted, may have to make some adjustments here and there but it sounds like we are at a good staring point. At least I made the pipe knowing I was going to make adjustments so it won't end up being a cut up piece of junk by the time it is tuned :hmm3grin2orange:

I brought home a full length 8x8 cant to test in. The minds are conspiring now on where we're going with this. We have some ideas on what it needs. None of it's hard to do, just takes a little time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back