390XP muffler mod finished

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the saw now broke in, I decided it was time to mod the muffler. Used 3/4" conduit tube (same size tube a saw shop in Canada used on the 372) and brazed it up. Runs great. I also installed the non rev limiting coil and tached it at 13,100 RPM's. The date is wrong on the digital cam, my bad.

390muffmod003go5.jpg
390muffmod003io7.jpg
390muffmod002rd8.jpg

Ya, nice job! The tubes really finish it off. I'm inspired to tig a tube onto mine now, since I just have left the naked holes.

Ya, it really barks now. I threw my 20" B & C on Sunday to help Dad cut some Ash. That stuff just doesn't like to split by hand. Laid 20"(length & diam.) & smaller logs on the side and commenced to making the noodles. I put a fair amount of pressure on it without any bogging. I am quite happy with it.:D

muff mod

Very good job!! It's going to be a loud one! She'll be a monster now. I'm gonna mod all my saws mufflers once I get my tach off bailey's. I'm gonna put spark arresting screen in mine, since I got a good bit of it. And I don't want to be catching the woods on fire while loggin'.lol I'll be posting pics of my mods, so look out for them. I'm thinking maybe this month while it snows I'll do them.:rockn: :D :rock:

Very good job!! It's going to be a loud one! She'll be a monster now. I'm gonna mod all my saws mufflers once I get my tach off bailey's. I'm gonna put spark arresting screen in mine, since I got a good bit of it. And I don't want to be catching the woods on fire while loggin'.lol I'll be posting pics of my mods, so look out for them. I'm thinking maybe this month while it snows I'll do them.:rockn: :D :rock:

Screens or not, those front facing pipes will catch dry wood on fire... easily...

Screens or not, those front facing pipes will catch dry wood on fire... easily...

I like the "walker's" style mufflers, they just look good. And I like the sound of them. Gypo ran these style mufflers on his saws, and he made them too. And they sounded/looked awesome!lol They deflect the exhaust enough to not hit you in the face too much. Yes, they probably will catch wood on fire,lol. If you ask me I think they need angled a little more to the side, but then again those are BIG pipes, maybe you can't. Either way very nice job!!!:rockn: :D :rock:

Those pipes looks great but I'm with Lake on burning the log/wood. I have never been a fan of ports pointed straight out but it does look mean!:rockn:

It looks great.

Just watch your left hand if you do a lot of felling. It may get a little warm....

I've done my 394xp just like that, but facing a little to the sides more, and I've never caught wood on fire, I even mill with it like that, no problems. Oh ya, it just sounds so awesome!!!! I love the idle to it, nice and lumpy, barks like crazy.

Ya, it really barks now. I threw my 20" B & C on Sunday to help Dad cut some Ash. That stuff just doesn't like to split by hand. Laid 20"(length & diam.) & smaller logs on the side and commenced to making the noodles. I put a fair amount of pressure on it without any bogging. I am quite happy with it.:D

Nice muffler looks good what kind of ash are you cutting the white and balck ash here splits like butter.I split and piled a face cord of ash in about 20 min last weekend for my mom with a axe of course.

WOW, LOOKS GOOD, I bet it's loud as hell almost looks like to much did you do the "math to get the right port openings?

Actually, I cut noodles for an hour and nothing caught on fire. I accumulated a large pile too. The only noodles burning were the ones Dad threw his cigar butt in.:D

I ran it at 13.1 k for the first run after the mod. I will bump it to 13.5 k this weekend as I have 2 tree jobs.

As far as burning my hand when bucking, no problem as you can see from the pic. The top pic is the 372 done by the Canadian Saw shop, so I don't think the pipes are too big. They should know what their doing. The bottom is the 390.

390muffmod002yk6.jpg

390muffmod001wj1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh.. you'll burn you hand when the saw is flipped sideways... it's not the DIRECT GASES, but the bounce-back from the wood when the pipe is real close to it (like when you are half way though). I melted the back of my glove plenty of times with a similar setup.

Cut big dead wood in summer... you'll see the burning... If almost funny to see a tree smoking when you are up it blocking.. almost...

Sure the pipes look cool, and I have more than one like it, but no OEM vents to the front without a guard to direct the gases for good reason. The DP front on the 066 and 044/46 are examples of how an oem does it. Not as sexy, but reasonably safe.

Last edited:
Actually, I cut noodles for an hour and nothing caught on fire. I accumulated a large pile too. The only noodles burning were the ones Dad threw his cigar butt in.:D

J T R,

I used my 372 qand 390 to cut noodles and sprocket area always ended up fully packed with noodles in no time. My 440 and 660 don't have that problem. It was always a pain because I don't like clearing the noodles with the saw running. Not trying to start a S vs. H war, but do others have a similar experience.

joaT

Back