390xp Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the video Mattyo. Just out of curiosity, why cut the case instead of the cylinder? Also, if you are cutting the case, wouldn't it be better to cut the case before installing the new bearings? I would just be worried about all the metal shavings. Maybe I'm over thinking it. Good video though, thanks for sharing.

Just a word of advise from somebody who's been there...

If u don't split that bottom end, and really inspect it, my hunch is your doomed to repeat that piston damage. You can do bearings, seals and gaskets in a husky for less than $35 bucks or so.

Well worth the investment.

And inspect that big end bearing really, really good. Make sure there's no chips flying off the bearing cage.

That is were the one I picked up has let go at Wiggs I have not split the case yet waiting till get the 288 done but have bought the bearings seals and gaskets $51 bucks this is very sound Advice from wiggs Thank you for it.

That is were the one I picked up has let go at Wiggs I have not split the case yet waiting till get the 288 done but have bought the bearings seals and gaskets $51 bucks this is very sound Advice from wiggs Thank you for it.
I agree, good advice from everyone here and I will split the case. Where did you get the parts, $51 is pretty good? What's the deal with this special bearing on this saw?

I've been getting stuff from Brodner Power Equipment in NY state... they have better prices than partstree and jakes saw shop.

To answer the question as to why I cut the case... its because I didn't want to mess with chucking up a jug on the lathe. It seemed easier to me to put the case on the mill than to put a jug on the lathe. Now, I realize that I can't cut squish band on the mill...at least not easily... so eventually might figure out how to stick a jug in the lathe. For now, putting the case on the mill got me the compression boost I needed without having to cut squish band.

Oh, I figured out the secret to not getting chips down in the crank.... plumbers putty. Stuff the crank with tissues and then put some plumbers putty around the rod....when you are done, blow the chips off, remove the putty and you are good! no chips in the bearings!

-Matt

I've been getting stuff from Brodner Power Equipment in NY state... they have better prices than partstree and jakes saw shop.

To answer the question as to why I cut the case... its because I didn't want to mess with chucking up a jug on the lathe. It seemed easier to me to put the case on the mill than to put a jug on the lathe. Now, I realize that I can't cut squish band on the mill...at least not easily... so eventually might figure out how to stick a jug in the lathe. For now, putting the case on the mill got me the compression boost I needed without having to cut squish band.

Oh, I figured out the secret to not getting chips down in the crank.... plumbers putty. Stuff the crank with tissues and then put some plumbers putty around the rod....when you are done, blow the chips off, remove the putty and you are good! no chips in the bearings!

-Matt
I get it now, thanks for the reply. So can you tell me what the deal is with this special bearing on the 390. What is it, a seal and bearing together or something like that?

whats dumb is they could have used perhaps a larger standard bearing...and a regular seal similar to a 372 .... but no...they had to go proprietary.... sucks

anyway, your welcome :)

-Matt
I had no idea, I thought it was a two piece system. Has anything changed that you know of? It sounds like a horrible idea. If the clutch side seal has a leak, you now need to change the bearing???

I thought I would start with the plastics so I wet sanded with 400 up to 2000 grit sandpaper. Honestly though, I really don't have a lot of patience for stuff like this so I didn't spend a lot of time on it. As you can see, the plastics had a few good dings and dents in them but they came out ok.
View attachment 405707
After washingView attachment 405709After sandingView attachment 405710After a quick polishView attachment 405711View attachment 405712 View attachment 405713View attachment 405714 View attachment 405715
What do you polish with?

My 372 gave up 2 weeks ago and looks sort of like this 1 thru the exhaust. Just curious how would a bearing from the crank end up in the top end?
I bought a 268 parts saw this week from the Hooskee dealer that debearinged and uglyed up a new OEM piston.
The new OEM cylinder looks bad in a couple places, but I'm going to get a second opinion before I toss it.

It is a 6203 bearing. The seal can be bought separately but it's almost $20 by itself. I actually have one just to see the difference. If I could find it I'd take a picture of it. Still easier to buy the complete one and just install it.

It is a 6203 bearing. The seal can be bought separately but it's almost $20 by itself. I actually have one just to see the difference. If I could find it I'd take a picture of it. Still easier to buy the complete one and just install it.
So the seal cant b
e replaced without splitting case right?

Latest posts

Back