394 Husky questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron441

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I rescued part of a 394xp from the junkyard this weekend. The bottom end of the motor is there and so is the tank/rear handle carb, clutch, flywheel, ignition and the recoil starter. Everything I have looks usable, I just have to scrounge for more parts.
I have never had a Husky and don't know much about the different models and what interchanges. Is a 395 basically the same saw? Will 395 parts fit a 394? I see a lot of aftermarket 395 jug and pistons, but they don't all say 394. If a 395 won't work will some other saw? Thanks.

I recently had these same questions. From what I was told the 394/5 are the same saw EXCEPT that the 394 has a cylinder that has a bolt on type of intake, The 395 has the clamp on type intake.So if you want to use 395 jug you must get an intake and carb as well. Good luck on getting that beast up and running! :cheers:

This saw already has a rubber intake hose with a clamp, so it must have been changed already. Thanks.

I would definitely get rid of that clamp though. I used a hose clamp like that on one of my husqvarnas and needless to say it didnt work too well, it could be that I over tightened it but the rubber goes through the holes and when it got hot it melted my intake.

The clamp is definitely going, and the rubber boot is not much better, so I will probably replace it too, but at least the other pieces for the intake are there.

It depends Who You ask. Personally I don't like them very much but I don't have much personal experience with them either.

I've come across different lengths of cylinder bolts on opposite sides of a 395 but not on a 394.

Got no idea why:msp_confused:

The 395 cylinder has to have the longer bolts on the back side. The Flange is thicker on that side,,,,for some reason or another lol.

Are the big bore kits for these any good?

Id try one myself. A member here has a big bore 395. 100 CCs. No more than they cost, I doubt you could find a good OEM top end for the same money, but you might.

...And as others have said, the Meteor kits will probably be great quality...but no big bore.

The clamp is definitely going, and the rubber boot is not much better, so I will probably replace it too, but at least the other pieces for the intake are there.

It depends....I have one of those on a 346 that has been run hard and put up wet many times. It has not let me down. I did get my clamp from an auto supply store. It is heavier duty than what you get from HD.
That clamp could be the reason that saw was in the junk yard.

It depends Who You ask. Personally I don't like them very much but I don't have much personal experience with them either.

I have no personal experience, but from the posts on here, it sounds like they need serious work to add any power, and even then it is questionable.....:popcorn::popcorn:

Compensating lower quality with a larger bore may not work as intended.

I have no personal experience, but from the posts on here, it sounds like they need serious work to add any power, and even then it is questionable.....:popcorn::popcorn:

Compensating lower quality with a larger bore may not work as intended.

The kits have there place. They suit the tighter budget and help reserect that saw that doesn't justify the cost of OEM.

For the beginning porter, these are the way to go without the risk of trashing a genuine cyl as we've seen from time to time.

Different people as with different kits get different results from the kits.

The kits have there place. They suit the tighter budget and help reserect that saw that doesn't justify the cost of OEM.

For the beginning porter, these are the way to go without the risk of trashing a genuine cyl as we've seen from time to time.

Different people as with different kits get different results from the kits.

Al's right on the money here. I've got a 395 in a box right now and a Big Bore kit waiting for when I have time.

Pretty sure i have a spare carb and intake for you if you want it. Cover the shipping and it's yours.

Thanks a lot, but my carb and everything is there and looks good, just the rubber boot is bad. I'll probably just get a new one. Thanks though.

I don't know what I will put on this saw for a jug. It definitely won't be oem unless I find a used one cheap. My thoughts are that an NWP big bore would be about the same quality as an NWP standard kit, so why not get the bigger one. I put an NWP kit on an 066 for a guy last winter and it seemed ok, although for some of you porters that are really fussy, I'm sure they are not as good as OEM. I won't ever know the difference because I doubt this saw will get 5 tanks of gas a year through it. :greenchainsaw:

Back