394xp to 295xp is it worth the upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonwood1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post and I am hoping to get some honest answers from the pros out there.
I cut a lot of large timber, in my area it is Cottonwoods. Just got done today with several trailers full of 4 to 5ft dia. logs. SO nice to be out cutting!
Anyhow I am running a Walkerize 394xp that I have used for about 5 years now. It is getting harder to find parts, but other than that I like the saw. In everyones opinion is it worth the cost to upgrade to the 395 or just find older 394's and use them for parts?

In advance thanks for the answers!

Well, it's all about the cost of operation. If your current 394 is still in good repair, you might be better off to find a 394 parts saw and keep it going that way. If your 394 is on its last legs, then upgrading now would be the cost effective choice. When making these decisions it's good to look one to three years out and see how long your current saw will last at your current work load.

Jacob that is good logic. I am thinking I will get about two more years out of the saw at my current work rate. So looking at it that way it will be time to look in about a year and hope for a good saw to come up for sale. Thanks for comment.

They share ALL of the same parts, other than the induction system (and the cylinder...)

other than that, they are basically the same saw...

what 'parts' have you found your needing??

J

Hi Saw Garage,
I did some checking and found lots of parts at an old Husky dealer in my state. So I have been able to find what I was needing. I called Madsen and they told me all but the intake bout and cylinder as you said will work. So it made me feel better about not having to sell it right now. It is ported and polished and works great just was getting tough for parts until i joined and got advice from all the folks here. Lots of information in here and knowledge really fun to read and speak with the members.
Once again thanks to all for the help!

in stock form, I find the 395 pretty lacklustre, and I use a couple of them every day. The filtration system is great, but they look and handle like a tank and I find them underpowered with a 36" bar. I prefer a 660 any day of the week, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a stihl guy; I'd take a 346xp over a 260 any day. I don't know how the 395 would go modded, but I'm guessing a lot better.

Shaun

Back