3rd Poulan 330, same exact problem!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"You don't know me that well then. I sure would tell everyone including you if mine had a problem with it!

It's not brand loyalty that I have, I just don't care for brand bashing when theres no reason for it."

That's good to know, and I'm glad you could respond without any of the name calling. I was starting to think that you may be the "poster child" for Poulan, and I'm glad that is NOT the case.

Keep in mind several things here. I purchased 3 saws, not just one. The first one would NOT stay running no matter what we did, and we found NOTHING wrong with it.

The next two would stay running, but exhibited the same symptoms as saw #1 to a lesser degree.

All 3 saws ran FLAWLESSLY at WOT no load and in the cut. This alone pretty much narrows down the problem(s) to the carburetor. Even so, I checked EVERYTHING withing my means and found NOTHING wrong anyplace.

A $25.25 carburetor INSTANTLY corrected any and all issues with saw #3.

Not that we have the saw running correctly, time for some comparisons against some of our other 50-55cc saws.

What I can tell everyone at this point, out of the box without a muffler mod these saws are just OK. They respond very well to a muffler mod. The next obstacle is the 22" bar and "junk" chain. The folded over "dorsal fin" rakers are horrible, and really hurt the saws cutting performance. Going to 18" full chisel really wakes them up, 20" would probably be fine as well.

As a "reality check" for myself, I have to remind myself periodically that this is a $200 saw as mentioned, not a $500 saw. It would be nice if I can get it on par with a 346XP or 5100 for under $300. First I have to get it to outrun an Echo CS-510 with a muffler mod.....more testing to come.....Cliff

I have to wonder how those 330's will react to mod's. It certainly would be fun to mod a $300 dollar saw to compete at the same level as modded $500 dollar saws! Maybe a good place to start the hobby hacking with little risk and great rewards..any one build one yet! What are piston/barrel prices as compared to the Husqvarna/Stihl brands?

There is at least one ported saw that reportedly responded quite well. It will be interesting to read some timed cutting comparisons against some of the more expensive saws.

My goal is to outrun my Echo CS-510, which I've got running extremely well for a "low end" saw. It has already matched the performance of my Husqvarna closed port 55, and I opened up the muffler a tad more since those tests were performed.

I ran the 330 against the 510 the other day and the 510 was faster by apprx 10 seconds for 5 timed cuts in 18" hard Maple. That was with the 22" bar and crappy chain they come with. The 18" Husqvarna bar test will be next, and I'm expecting the 330 to run as good as or even better than the 510.

I'll put it up against the 262XP if if it outruns the Echo and the Husky 55!.....Cliff

There is at least one ported saw that reportedly responded quite well. It will be interesting to read some timed cutting comparisons against some of the more expensive saws.

My goal is to outrun my Echo CS-510, which I've got running extremely well for a "low end" saw. It has already matched the performance of my Husqvarna closed port 55, and I opened up the muffler a tad more since those tests were performed.

I ran the 330 against the 510 the other day and the 510 was faster by apprx 10 seconds for 5 timed cuts in 18" hard Maple. That was with the 22" bar and crappy chain they come with. The 18" Husqvarna bar test will be next, and I'm expecting the 330 to run as good as or even better than the 510.

I'll put it up against the 262XP if if it outruns the Echo and the Husky 55!.....Cliff

Keep us posted! Mine loves the 18" bar and 3/8 low pro chain that came off my wild thing, and it's still running a cruddy safety loop.

Weimedog

to answer your question as to the cost of cylinder and Piston kits for the 330,
Stock oem Cylinders are listed at PoulanPro @ approx $46, the piston kits a dollar or 2 higher. Currently there is an Ebay seller with new oem cylinders that he is selling for $19.90 + $6 shipping. I ordered one from him last week, it came in within 3 days. Looks to be very nice quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/POULAN-53040374...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c09fe37e3

Last edited:

Hello Cliff

I was away for a few days cutting firewood for the FIL. It's great to hear you finally got it fixed! Now if I would be in the firewood or arborist world that would definately be an option for me and a real cheap one!
Congratulation on your "new" saw!

Now lets hear from the follow up reports!

to answer your question as to the cost of cylinder and Piston kits for the 330,
Stock oem Cylinders are listed at PoulanPro @ approx $46, the piston kits a dollar or 2 higher. Currently there is an Ebay seller with new oem cylinders that he is selling for $19.90 + $6 shipping. I ordered one from him last week, it came in within 3 days. Looks to be very nice quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/POULAN-53040374...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c09fe37e3

On that cylinder you bought, is it an alum or chrome plated bore?

"Hello Cliff

I was away for a few days cutting firewood for the FIL. It's great to hear you finally got it fixed! Now if I would be in the firewood or arborist world that would definately be an option for me and a real cheap one!

Now lets hear from the follow up reports!"

I'm glad I stuck with the saw at this point. Even taking some negative press over it, there is always a good feeling when you find out what's wrong with something, especially a deeply rooted problem.

The saw is a tad big/bulky, and heavy, but so far it's doing a fine job for us. I've been running the crap out of it in some hard Maple we took down on my property. Probably up to half a dozen tanks thru it so far, no issues at all since we swapped to the HDA-49 carburetor.

Time permitting, we'll set up for some timed cutting testing. I've been really busy in the shop, and trying to get a few hours in here an there for deerhunting, as last week was our annual shotgun season. I shot 3 deer on my property, but that won't even make a dent in the population, I see more deer than people these days!.....Cliff

"On that cylinder you bought, is it an alum or chrome plated bore? "

330s have chrome bore/aluminum piston

I have to wonder how those 330's will react to mod's. It certainly would be fun to mod a $300 dollar saw to compete at the same level as modded $500 dollar saws! Maybe a good place to start the hobby hacking with little risk and great rewards..any one build one yet! What are piston/barrel prices as compared to the Husqvarna/Stihl brands?

I ported one and it runs pretty much dead even with a bone stock 5100.

"Hello Cliff

Now lets hear from the follow up reports!"

I'm glad I stuck with the saw at this point. Even taking some negative press over it, there is always a good feeling when you find out what's wrong with something, especially a deeply rooted problem.

The saw is a tad big/bulky, and heavy, but so far it's doing a fine job for us. I've been running the crap out of it in some hard Maple we took down on my property. Probably up to half a dozen tanks thru it so far, no issues at all since we swapped to the HDA-49 carburetor.

Time permitting, we'll set up for some timed cutting testing. I've been really busy in the shop, and trying to get a few hours in here an there for deerhunting, as last week was our annual shotgun season. I shot 3 deer on my property, but that won't even make a dent in the population, I see more deer than people these days!.....Cliff

Taking negative press is always not so easy but it only shows how difficult it is to swim against the main stream. Glad you stood up to that and finally dilivered the answer.

Now I can just about hear&smell some nice deer sizzling over a nice bed of burning maple.

Bon appetit!

"Now I can just about hear&smell some nice deer sizzling over a nice bed of burning maple.

Bon appetit!"

Yep! Deb made some venison chili last night, we had some friends over for few adult beverages, and I let them beat me up at a couple games of pool. Love the Winter time, we had fires in both wood stoves and in the big stone fireplace upstairs.

Makes me appreciate all the hard work cutting wood year round. I have only had to buy 200 gallons of propane since 2003, and that was just to keep the rat buzzards from charging me tank rental! We heat our home, and shop/business with wood, and no other source.:cheers:.....Cliff

"Now I can just about hear&smell some nice deer sizzling over a nice bed of burning maple.

Bon appetit!"

Yep! Deb made some venison chili last night, we had some friends over for few adult beverages, and I let them beat me up at a couple games of pool. Love the Winter time, we had fires in both wood stoves and in the big stone fireplace upstairs.

Makes me appreciate all the hard work cutting wood year round. I have only had to buy 200 gallons of propane since 2003, and that was just to keep the rat buzzards from charging me tank rental! We heat our home, and shop/business with wood, and no other source.:cheers:.....Cliff

What do you have for a business?

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

I wrote a couple of books, 3rd one is just about finished.

Our shop is 32' X 56', one half of it is a work area for clean stuff, with four 4' X 8' work tables. We have a 4 post lift on the other side.

I do all sorts of carburetor work, the bulk of it is for racing and strong street/strip cars, with quite a bit of restoration work these days. I do some some small engine stuff, chainsaws, etc. I'm pretty much the "go to" source in this area, when all lesser expensive sources for fixing things have been exhausted!

We live in a pretty remote area, low income farming community, etc. I help folks out as much as I can, but would literal starve to death taking in used tires with one or two plugs in them in trade for carb work!.....LOL.....Cliff

"Yeah they do but the 3300/3450 has an alum bore and look the same from the outside"

It doesn't matter, lots of different cylinders out there that "look" simular. As I said in my original post, these were 330 oem cylinders. These were listed on Ebay by Poulan part number, verified by Poulan 330 IPL, and by the new one in my hot little hand. Frankly the issue is moot as he sold out (at least for now) shortly after my post....... Check the link, check the IPL, and if you still have questions it probably would be a good idea to check with the seller.

Back