3rd Poulan 330, same exact problem!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, a Poulan 330 just isn't gonna be part of our line-up here. Instead of just returning the unopened one, I decided to give this deal one last try. I took the third one out of the box today, gassed her up, and went to work.

I didn't touch anything this time, leaving the limiter caps in place, no muffler mod, etc.

Low and behold, it started right up, and ran OK for 2-3 minutes, then the EXACT same crap as the last two, starts going lean at idle, engine speeds up dramatically, then settles back down, etc, etc.

Ran a full tank through it, it acted lean every single time I returned to idle after a cut, then would eventually settle down and idle OK, then back fast/lean, back down again, etc, etc.

Three for three is telling me that there is a serious and deeply rooted problem with these saws.

I even contacted Poulan last week about them, and they were sort of helpful, giving me basic tuning ideas, things to check, even making sure the carbs needle height was exactly even with the casting. Kind of interesting is how helpful they were by email, until I told the rep that I suspected a deeply rooted carburetor issue, and offered to send the saw back to the factory for inspection/repairs. Not a single word after that note, so it appears to me they aren't really interested in finding out what's wrong, or already know that these 2007 models have an inherent problem. I suspect the latter. I suppose some folks could live with this crap, but I demand perfection from my equipment, so find this situation unacceptable.

Bottom line, nothing makes any difference, all three saws we obtained here from TSC are problematic. I still suspect defective carburetors. On this saw in particular, I could get the engine to change speed and sound by very quickly tilting it forward (bar down), then back level again. Going to either side made no change, but it still acts like a carb problem to me. In any case, last thread on these saws, two have already been returned, this ones going back tomorrow........Cliff

Here's a copy of the last note to Poulan, and it also went unanswered:

No response after the last two emails, so it appears that your company isn't going to look further into this problem with customer support?

For the record, I have 16 working chainsaws here, most are Husqvarna's, and a couple of Echo's. When the 2007 model Poulan 330's showed up at our local TSC store, I took the plunge and tried to add them to my line-up. You may be asking yourself, why 16 chainsaws? I manage 400 acres of land, 200 acres of woods, and we cut wood several times a week, a LOT of it. The 50-60cc saws in our line-up see the most use, as they are easy on fuel, and the operator, and most of the material we cut is less than 20" diameter.

I am not brand specific, and really wanted to add an American made product to our line-up. I really love the power of the 330, and the size/weight of the saw, etc.

Both saws we obtained have a deeply rooted problem, not easily repaired by the average technician.

To re-cap, I have checked the fuel line, filter, vent, carb needle height, intake gaskets, intake boot, cylinder base seal, timing, spark, carburetor diaphram, internal filter screen, check valve/gasket, etc, and the problem persists. The run fine off idle, but will not hold or maintain a stable idle once fully warmed up.

I suspect at this point that it is either a defective carburetor or we have a crankshaft seal problem. I'm leaning towards the carburetor since both saws do EXACTLY the same thing once warmed up. They will not hold a steady idle, going lean, back to normal, going lean, back to normal, stalling out, etc, etc.

Another possibility is that the fuel is getting heated up and causing a vapor lock condition, but I'm really thinking something is inherently wrong with these carburetors. The only thing I notice out of line is that the idle feed hole is NOT lined up with the notch in the throttle plate. This out of alignment situation may be causing fuel distribution problems at idle speed, although I suspect this is done for emission reasons? Once warmed up and at idle, the air running past the idle feed hole may not be creating a continuous and effective pull on the idle curcuit. Just guessing here, but I can tell you for certain, both of the saws I purchased and tested do EXACTLY the same thing, and I can find nothing fundamentally wrong with them.

Off idle, they cut flawlessly, with great power. This is also a very well made saw, with great top end power, rivaling my Husqvarna Pro models.

Sad to say, without some factory support here, I'm going to return both of them for a refund. I could carry them to a local repair shop, but they have far less abilities than I have here in my own shop. I'm open for sending them for a factory or higher level service facility for evaluation/repairs. Let me know ASAP, I've got them boxed up and ready to return for a refund or ship to a depot or higher service level facility.....thanks.....Cliff

Cliff, I have been a big supporter of these saws and I still believe they are good products. Mine actually started acting the same way you have been describing. I have a sweet PP335 and pulled the carb and impulse line from it and put on the 330 and problem went away. It is my belief that in order to meet 2007 epa there is something screwy about that carb. I do have on order a Walbro HDA-49 ($50). I don't like spending the money on a new saw but, for $250 invested it is still a bargin compared to what you can get for the same money.

In my mind this is a more of a Walbro problem than a Poulan problem.

Only bought two of them, returned the first one exchange after it started acting up (1st tank of fuel).

I tried to figure out what was wrong with the second one, then returned it for my money back.

Got the last one out today, same crap. I do believe it's a carburetor problem, but it doesn't look like Poulan is interested in correcting it.....Cliff

PS: how do I know the carb I would buy to replace this one wouldn't be defective as well? I found them for $27.00 plus shipping. Being at $250 in one of these that worked correctly wouldn't be too bad.

I'm interested in your results with the new carb?.......

Last edited:
Only bought two of them, returned the first one exchange after it started acting up (1st tank of fuel).

I tried to figure out what was wrong with the second one, then returned it for my money back.

Got the last one out today, same crap. I do believe it's a carburetor problem, but it doesn't look like Poulan is interested in correcting it.....Cliff

PS: how do I know the carb I would buy to replace this one wouldn't be defective as well? I found them for $27.00 plus shipping. Being at $250 in one of these that worked correctly wouldn't be too bad.

I'm interested in your results with the new carb?.......

I found the wal hda 164 for that but the cheapest I found on the 49 was like $48 and change plus shipping. Where did you find the 49 for $27.00? I may be able to cancel my order.

Cliff , i had a problem with my pp330 hunting around a little idling when i first fired it up , i only had just a little bit of mix in a can , so before i went out to use the saw i got a couple gal. of hi test to mix up and added 2 or 3 cap full of marvels mystery oil to the mix , toped off the tank and ran the saw like i stole it till it ran out of fuel , (ran out of bar oil same time :confused:) anyway i topped it off fired the saw up and it idled fine no problems , I've cut about 12 loads so far all is good , maybe the mmo cleaned everything , or maybe i got lucky and got a good one , my build date is 2007 so i guess it sat for a while :givebeer:

Here's a link to the replacment carb:

http://www.ordertree.com/ARI.aspx?Mfg=75&Model=PP330 Gas Saw Type 1

It's the HDA164, not the 49. I've resisted buying one, not knowing if it is any different or better than the carb that's currently on the saw(s).

The problem with the saws I've tested is not cleaning the carb, or the type of fuel, etc. I had the carb apart on the firt two saws numerous times, no improvment anyplace moving the needle height around, etc.

I used fresh 93 octane Amoco fuel with Husqvarna premium oil mix, and all the other saws are running fine on the same batch of fuel.....Cliff

Well, a Poulan 330 just isn't gonna be part of our line-up here. Instead of just returning the unopened one, I decided to give this deal one last try. I took the third one out of the box today, gassed her up, and went to work.

Bottom line, nothing makes any difference, all three saws we obtained here from TSC are problematic. I still suspect defective carburetors. On this saw in particular, I could get the engine to change speed and sound by very quickly tilting it forward (bar down), then back level again. Going to either side made no change, but it still acts like a carb problem to me. In any case, last thread on these saws, two have already been returned, this ones going back tomorrow........Cliff

Dam, you sure are a SLOOOOOW learner! It only took one of those POS for me to figure out that they were terds... I don't buy ANYTHING "new" just to have to work on it! OR worse yet, spend money on it to make it right!

Rob

Yep, I like to think I can fix/repair most anything, and enjoy being able to figure out a problem with something. This particular problem is deeply rooted, and not going to be fixed easily. I'm not sure if it's the offset drilled idle discharge hole, the fact that the "notch" in the throttle plate is not lined up with it, or how the fuel is fed to that hole, or to the entire idle/low speed side of the carburetor, but something is certainly NOT right in that area, IMHO......Cliff

If it's a defective carb issue than buying them in at the same store may not be helping.
Cause I'll bet the 3 saws you've own were built close to one another and if it's a bad batch of carbs then chances are the all will have carbs from that bad batch.

Possibly. Also keep in mind that many customers, may not even know there is a problem, as the second two saws don't stall out, they just act up at idle. The first one was slightly worse, and would NOT stay running when it went into it's lean condition, then settled down/back to normal. About every 3rd cycle of this it would just stall out.

That one drove me NUTS, and I looked everyplace for a problem, and set the carb needle height all over the place, it was best right where it was from the factory!

The second and now the third saw act the same way, but do NOT stall out, and cut OK once you get past the low speed curcuit. They do act EXTREMELY lean right off idle, and even have a slight "dip" in the power curve unless you just blast right past it to full throttle when cutting.

I'm too picky with my equipment to put up with this nonsense. Everything else I own runs flawlessly everyplace. The last thing one wants to do on any trip to the woods, is to piss around with crappy running equipment. I take at least 5 saws for this reason, one gets dull, runs out of fuel, acts up in any way, I grab another one.

I don't have the time or patience on the job to deal with this lean situation with these 330's, so I guess I'll take the last one back for a refund as well.....Cliff

PS: I'm only posting here to relay our findings, hope it doesn't sound like I'm bellyaching about it?

These saws got quite a bit of coverage when they appeared, and were highly recomended by quite a few folks as a pretty good deal for a well built saw at a great price. I typically avoid Poulan products like the plague, but took a good look at them, decided to find out for myself, and got spanked pretty hard.

As mentioned above someplace, it's just not a good idea to buy new stuff, then start throwing time/funds into it to get it up to par. The "good deal" disappears quickly, and the product quickly becomes a money pit, not to mention a PITA.

The little Ryobi deal was just about as bad for me. $107 to the door, then $30 for a decent bar/chain, then almost immediately the coil takes a dump, $30 later we have decent running 41cc saw for almost $170. My new Husqvarna 435 is a LOT nicer saw for about the same money, IMHO.......

Last edited:
Louie has a point and since I live so close I would not be surprised if mine came from the same warehouse as Cliffs.

If a couple have a bad carb well then they have a bad carb.

I have to be honest that I have been somewhat skeptical of Cliffs problems since he was so critical of them even before he bought one and the overall disdain he seems to express to anything with a Poulan name on it along with the initial flip flop reporting on it and the constant comparing it to a 262XP.

I myself still have a open mind and since at least one or two other people have spoken of a similar idle problem I will test mine without any rose colored glasses on.

Cliff I would appreciate it you would post the serial # of that saw you still have for comparison purposes.

I still have not started my new 330 up yet and was going to do just that this evening. When I saw this new thread and yet another disappointment for Cliff, I decided to give mine a thorough checking over before I even run it.

Everything pretty much looked fine but I went ahead and pulled the carb on it and I have to say that I am not too happy with the looks of the carb diaphragms. They look old to me and none too supple.

This really is no surprise to me anyway as this saw is now probably close to 3 years old and who knows how long Poulan had these Walbros in stock before they where put on the saws?

Is it possible the carb could be 4-5 years old? I decided that I will be putting new diaphragms in it before I even run it. If I have a problem with it then I will let you guys know.

Like I said before, I never owned one of these but had run one and I was impressed with it then and I don't care if I end up buying a carb for it, it is still a good saw at a good bargain.

TSC also told me that if there was a problem with the saw that they would send it out to be repaired so there is that option also.

Last edited:
If it's a defective carb issue than buying them in at the same store may not be helping.
Cause I'll bet the 3 saws you've own were built close to one another and if it's a bad batch of carbs then chances are the all will have carbs from that bad batch.

What about mine having the same problems? I didn't buy it from the same store cliff did, and there's others on line complaining about the same problems.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck........well, you know the rest!

Rob

Louie has a point and since I live so close I would not be surprised if mine came from the same warehouse as Cliffs.

If a couple have a bad carb well then they have a bad carb.

I have to be honest that I have been somewhat skeptical of Cliffs problems since he was so critical of them even before he bought one and the overall disdain he seems to express to anything with a Poulan name on it along with the initial flip flop reporting on it and the constant comparing it to a 262XP.

I myself still have a open mind and since at least one or two other people have spoken of a similar idle problem I will test mine without any rose colored glasses on.

Cliff I would appreciate it you would post the serial # of that saw you still have for comparison purposes.

I still have not started my new 330 up yet and was going to do just that this evening. When I saw this new thread and yet another disappointment for Cliff, I decided to give mine a thorough checking over before I even run it.

Everything pretty much looked fine but I went ahead and pulled the carb on it and I have to say that I am not too happy with the looks of the carb diaphragms. They look old to me and none too supple.

This really is no surprise to me anyway as this saw is now probably close to 3 years old and who knows how long Poulan had these Walbros in stock before they where put on the saws?

Is it possible the carb could be 4-5 years old? I decided that I will be putting new diaphragms in it before I even run it. If I have a problem with it then I will let you guys know.

Like I said before, I never owned one of these but had run one and I was impressed with it then and I don't care if I end up buying a carb for it, it is still a good saw at a good bargain.

Mark, your 365 should have a HDA 49 on it also (I'm guessing on that one), so if it does maybe between the two of us we can prove my theory and results on using the older style carb.

Rest assured of a couple of things here. With me, what you see is what you get, straight forward, open minded, and honest. I don't give a ship if this saw was made in China from melted down old car bumpers, if it runs with a Husqvarna Pro saw, and dead solid reliable in long term service, I'll post the accurate results. IF it comes up short, you still get the results, exactly as they have happened.

My initial reports were from the first saw, which was quite "amenic", and had far worse fuel delivery problems than the second two. It was just flat LEAN at idle and thru transition, and the power, throttle response and cutting power suffered for it.

The second saw wasn't nearly as bad, and with a muffler mod I was quite pleased with it. Enough so to put an 18" bar and real chain on it. Made one full day in the woods with it, it acted up a bit, but we were running the crap out of it, so it didn't spend much time idling anyhow.

Second outing it starts to show us more idle problems, so I ended up doing a COMPLETE and thorough eval of it, on the intake side there are NO detetable problems, and the diaphram is soft and pliable, needle height is perfect, and not a spec of dirt/debris anyplace in the carb or fuel system.

I couldn't fix it, so it went back. Just to give these saws every possible opportunity to be part of my line-up, I unboxed the last one today.....same nonsense as the first two, almost from the moment it fired up. There not much more to it than that, 3 for 3 is 100 percent on my calculator, it's going back unless someone better than I can tell me EXACTLY what is wrong and how to fix it without throwing a bunch of money at it?.......Cliff

Mark, your 365 should have a HDA 49 on it also (I'm guessing on that one), so if it does maybe between the two of us we can prove my theory and results on using the older style carb.

I don't know what the 365 has on it, as I have never had to do anything to it, it runs perfectly.

If I have trouble with the 330 I can swap em out easily for sure. I guess that would tell the tale then wouldn't it?

Now that you mention that I guess maybe I will go ahead and run the 330 as is and if it has problems I'll go ahead and swap them then.

What about mine having the same problems? I didn't buy it from the same store cliff did, and there's others on line complaining about the same problems.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck........well, you know the rest!

Rob

If it is a bad batch of carbs than it's more than likeily going to be several saws over serveral stores depending of the size of the problem.

We should all start comparing sn of the saws have problems to the saws not having problems and see if it's a certain one's or just random.

My sn is 07011D300781 and it has the problem, but not bad and it quit after I removed the tube inside the muffler.

I don't know what the 365 has on it, as I have never had to do anything to it, it runs perfectly.

If I have trouble with the 330 I can swap em out easily for sure. I guess that would tell the tale then wouldn't it?

Now that you mention that I guess maybe I will go ahead and run the 330 as is and if it has problems I'll go ahead and swap them then.

That would be great Mark. My TSC have another 330 that I was considering, but seems like there's a good chance of getting a bad one.

If it is a bad batch of carbs than it's more than likeily going to be several saws over serveral stores depending of the size of the problem.

We should all start comparing sn of the saws have problems to the saws not having problems and see if it's a certain one's or just random.

My sn is 07011D300781 and it has the problem, but not bad and it quit after I removed the tube inside the muffler.

Exactly and I agree, that's why I asked Cliff to post his.

Mine is 07011D302562 and looks like it came down the line sometime after yours. Almost 1800 saws later I would guess.

I'm guessing my TSC still has a couple too. Might go check, was the serial # on the box too?

Latest posts

Back