3rd Poulan 330, same exact problem!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Maybe upping the idle a bit to get out of the bad area of running RPM's..maybe even lowering the idle?

Have you modded a muffler yet on one? That may change the dynamics through out the saw from intake to exhaust. Might change the game enough to figure out a solution."

Idle speed has no effect, the problem(s) still show up.

Yes, muffler modded both of them. This helped the top end power considerably, but had no effect whatsoever on the idle quality or problems at idle speed(s).

I don't think it's the pulse line either, as there is plenty of fuel in the carb, throttle response, mid-range and top end power don't show any signs of being low on fuel, going lean, etc.

It is quite lean right off idle at low throttle openings, but clears up nicely with heavy or full throttle operation........Cliff

Cliff R;1851637 I don't think it's the pulse line either said:
My point is not the actual pulse line but the strength of the pressure signal from the crankcase that is transmitted thru the pulse line. Maybe that isn't enough to excite the carb reliably.. maybe the carb configuration simply needs more.

A couple of concepts that might translate from the motorcycle world to saw world....when debugging a tough idle issue, sometimes working with different slide cut outs on a motorcycle carb along with pilot jets can solve the problem..I've been there before.

The analogy for saws would be the size of the cutout on the throttle plate in the carb. If you look you will see a little "half moon" shaped cutout on the throttle plate right by the hole(s) for the fuel to enter the air flow..actually check to see if thats the case. It actually looks possible to install that plate 180 out of phase on the Tillotson I'm looking at right now...that would ruin idle. But also the time done in RD for that saw may have not been spent on the size of that cutout..I would start there if it bothered me that much. Get a few of those throttle plates..they can't be too expensive.

A way to tell if that is the right track of thinking is to add a little choke progressively to see if the idle is even possible with more restriction/fuel at low rpm's. My bet if if you can get the thing to idle with more choke, you have enough pulse strength and could play with those cutouts on the throttle plate to make it work..or jet size for that low speed circuit. Something that Poulan should have done...

Last edited:
Just went out and cut a few cookies to check the idle quality after 2-3 minutes with 2 - 18" cookies inbetween each cycle, 4 cycles total. I warmed saw 2 minutes prior to cutting. The temp. outside is about 40 deg.

I have no issues with stumbling, cutting out or running eratically. In previous use there weren't any issues a small adj. to the carb did not clear up. I run 87 oct regular and the poulan synthetic mix.

A few observations.

1. The plug from the factory on these 330's is pretty cold. Higher octane fuel might not be the best match with the standard plug as another member mentioned the replacement plug was a 7 and not a 4 that comes with it.

2. When I first fired the saw I thought the stock setting of the idle was pretty low. I'm guessing around 1200 or so rpm's. I raised it by another few hundred with about 3/16 of a turn in on the idle set screw. I don't like a saw that jumps around on the ground at idle.

I have not done any mods other then carb adjustments.

serial # 07011D301774

Robert

Last edited:
"Folks, I'm just WAY to particular with my equipment, and want it to run FLAWLESSLY everyplace.

I agree. After I convince the boss (my Wife) I need to spend $$$s on a chainsaw and then it gives problems right out of the box, I start thinking Stihl.

I am on the fence on this Poulan 330. I like the idea of buying an older design, but don't want to wrestle with a potential lemon.

I am anxious to hear how things work out.

Good luck,
Bill

It's not working out very well. I took a few minutes today, removed the carb, and took an in depth look at the idle system inside this carburetor.

Using a pin vise and precision drill bit, I sized/cleaned the idle feed supply hole. The welch plug was pressure tested, no leaks. The opening of the idle discharge hole was not in line with the two transfer holes, so I took a larger bit and opened up the opening only so that it increased the surface area, and put it more in line with the "notch" in the throttle plate.

I made a few observations, but did NOT modify anything. The main discharge nozzle is huge on this carb, and directly in line with the idle discharge and transfer holes. There is also a "hump" on one side that would direct air over the discharge holes somewhat. (I'm wondering if the large nozzle end and "hump" in the casting aren't disrupting airflow past the idle and off idle tranfer holes?)

I thoroughly cleaned the entire carburetor, double and triple checked everything, the diaphram was soft and pliable, all gaskets were in perfect shape. The needle height was just a few thousanths too low, set it exactly even with the casting.

Got her back together, and it fired right up. It ran no better than it did right out of the box, the idle quality changes constantly, going lean, settling down to the base setting, speeding up/going lean, etc, etc.

I supsect a design flaw with this particular carburetor even more at this point.

I also took the additional time to test the tank vent, fuel line, fuel filter, and pressure tested the intake side of the engine. Once running, I did a propane test on the intake side, and around the base of the cylinder. Everything checks out fine, but it will not hold a stable idle.

So, I'm beat up enough at this point to throw it back in the box and go get my money back. Sorry for the long and lengthy thread(s), I hope others don't have the same troubles I had with all 3 of these saws?........Cliff

So, I'm beat up enough at this point to throw it back in the box and go get my money back. Sorry for the long and lengthy thread(s), I hope others don't have the same troubles I had with all 3 of these saws?........Cliff

What's this?! Cliff don't give up! Don't worry about lengthy threads. This has been one of the most interesting threads here in some time, trying to find out what is amiss. Of course I understand that your time is to precious for fooling around but I thought it would be an easy carb switch or slight modification.

Three cheers for ya for trying. :clap::clap::clap:

rep sent!

Well I finally got to run 2 tanks through mine today and guess what?

It runs fine and it idles fine also. In fact it runs really well, seems to have a lot of power! After its first start up, and warm up I let it set on a rag on the floor for 1/2 hour, picked it up once and a while, turned it every which way I could.

It never stalled or even seemed to change much in the rpms at all.

Cutting with it, every time I released the throttle it returned to idle and never stalled once. It also never seemed to speed up.

Believe me I tried everything to get it to act up and it would not. I also went ahead and ran the diaphragms in it that were original even though I thought they seemed a little stiff to me.

Now I will say it again, this saw is a bargain at $200 period.

As far as Cliffs problems, I really wonder about that.

Seems the woman I talked to at the Mount Vernon Ohio, TSC don't remember more then one of them coming back to the store after it was sold. :confused:

She also said that she thought it came back the same day. (maybe someone done 1 job with it and didn't' need it anymore?)

I called them because I had a hard time believing there was a wholesale problem with them. Getting 3 bad ones in a row on top of it?

I still think there could be a couple out there with some stiff carb diaphragms and I believe that the varied muffled sound coming out of that muffler would lead some to believe that the idle was fluctuating.

That could also explain why after some have modded there mufflers and changed the sound coming out of it they would believe that it was cure to a problem that wasn't there to begin with.

I also refuse to believe that after all these years that the Poulan Pro 330 has been sold that all of a sudden the carb that Poulan chose for this saw is wrong.

Where were these complaints in 2003-2007? I don't recall any such stories then.

I brung my 330 in today to have some modds done to it.
I mention the problems that some guys were having with them and he told me he would guess it was due to them sitting for so long.
I also say the spark plug wasn't the best for this saw and replaced it.

My saw had some of the problems mention here, but not that bad and it did seem to get better when I took out the tube inside the muffler.

Now with the modds they is no sign of problem what so ever. The thing sound strong as hell.

I had the muffler modded, timing advanced, cylinder gasket removed and cylinder ported.

Thats good news Mark !! All the talk and fuss over these and what a good saw they are for the cost, I decided I needed one, lol But, I found a super 380, comming that needs a little work. So, figured I'd try the 60cc version instead.
And, Banshee... sounds like you went right after it and went the extra mile.:)
That one sounds like it should be a dandy!!

:cheers:
Gregg,

"What's this?! Cliff don't give up! Don't worry about lengthy threads. This has been one of the most interesting threads here in some time, trying to find out what is amiss. Of course I understand that your time is to precious for fooling around but I thought it would be an easy carb switch or slight modification.

Three cheers for ya for trying."

Thanks for the encouragment. I'm telling ya what folks, I'm not used to getting spanked this hard by a new peice of equipment. Three different ones, no doubt.

Just to make sure I didn't get some bad fuel, I ran 5 of my other saws today, felled 5 large Maple trees, cut them up and not a single problem anyplace with any of them. On purpose, I ran some of the "lower" end saws in my line-up, the Ryobi, Husqvarna 435, Echo CS-370, Echo CS-360T, and never touched any of them anyplace, they were flawless.

I saved a pretty big section of one of the logs, and I'm going to attack it tomorrow with the Poulan 330, maybe, just maybe it will get thru a tank of fuel without all the nonsense?.....Cliff

"As far as Cliffs problems, I really wonder about that."

Mark, no need to wonder about anything. If you are doubting my credibility, contact our shop thru the link below.

I will send this saw to you for your own evaluation, cripe, maybe you can even figure out what's wrong with it?

We will take a security deposit, fully refundable when the saw returns to us, and I'll pay for the shipping both ways.

If you figure out what's wrong with it, you eat the time, I pay for the materials.

Sound like a plan? I'm all for getting a second opinion here, as I can't find anything fundamentally wrong with any of these saws, yet they still will not hold a stable idle or operate at a level that I expect from our equipment.

Here's a link to our shop information, have your Visa or Mastercard ready, and where you want it shipped to.......Cliff

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

Be cheaper

Send it up here........if you want......no charge for the time....you spring for parts.

I will be needing some of your shops expertise soon anyway.

The fuel up here particularly harsh to carbs and that includes the old quadras...

oops......not it would not be cheaper......Indiana closer

Why do I always think Mark is in Nevada?........must be his Avatar

Last edited:
"As far as Cliffs problems, I really wonder about that."

Mark, no need to wonder about anything. If you are doubting my credibility, contact our shop thru the link below.

I will send this saw to you for your own evaluation, cripe, maybe you can even figure out what's wrong with it?

We will take a security deposit, fully refundable when the saw returns to us, and I'll pay for the shipping both ways.

If you figure out what's wrong with it, you eat the time, I pay for the materials.

Sound like a plan? I'm all for getting a second opinion here, as I can't find anything fundamentally wrong with any of these saws, yet they still will not hold a stable idle or operate at a level that I expect from our equipment.

Here's a link to our shop information, have your Visa or Mastercard ready, and where you want it shipped to.......Cliff

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

Cliff I said I wonder and listed my reasons for that. Read anything you like into that and take it how ever you will.

I also had my suspicions on your intentions from the beginning with you distain for anything that said Poulan on it from your earlier post. I told you then not to buy one.

You really think I believe that your sharpening 6-7 strokes on the chain reduced the cutter length enough to make it a good cutting saw all of a sudden. Your constant comparing it to a 262XP? Your flip flopping back and forth on it?

No, your never going to be satisfied with it, why don't you just take it back for a refund like you said you were going to do before now.

You get your money back and all is good. Move on.

As far as me looking at it for you? You want a deposit, you don't trust me?

I didn't ask for a deposit on the brand new bar and chain I offered to ship you to try did I? I only asked for it to be returned to me after you tried it.

I think you should send it to Pes+ and have a neutral guy check it out. He is more then qualified. Do you want a deposit from him also?

Or like I have said before, take it back to TSC and have them ship it out to the repair facility and have them fix it. It will cost you nothing.

Honestly I have my doubts on 3 in a row being bad.

Cliff I said I wonder and listed my reasons for that. Read anything you like into that and take it how ever you will.

I also had my suspicions on your intentions from the beginning with you distain for anything that said Poulan on it from your earlier post. I told you then not to buy one.

You really think I believe that your sharpening 6-7 strokes on the chain reduced the cutter length enough to make it a good cutting saw all of a sudden. Your constant comparing it to a 262XP? Your flip flopping back and forth on it?

No, your never going to be satisfied with it, why don't you just take it back for a refund like you said you were going to do before now.

You get your money back and all is good. Move on.

As far as me looking at it for you? You want a deposit, you don't trust me?

I didn't ask for a deposit on the brand new bar and chain I offered to ship you to try did I? I only asked for it to be returned to me after you tried it.

I think you should send it to Pes+ and have a neutral guy check it out. He is more then qualified. Do you want a deposit from him also?

Or like I have said before, take it back to TSC and have them ship it out to the repair facility and have them fix it. It will cost you nothing.

Honestly I have my doubts on 3 in a row being bad.

You guys just kill me. I don't know cliff, or anyone else here. I don't give a rats azz if i'm using a Poulin or a Stihl, but my saw did the exact same thing as Cliff's did. That's what makes his post easy for me to believe.

My 330 made good power, and ran good at WFO, but it didn't idle for crap, and would stall at times, pizzing me off. I didn't waste as much time on that POS as Cliff did on his, as there's too many GOOD saws out there to suffer with a NEW one with problems.

Rob

Mark, no need for all that nonesense. You don't want to check it out for a second opinion, I could care less.

My findings are accurate, and professional. Dance all around on your soap box all you want to, throw all the personal opinions you want my way, etc, etc, that does NOT change the fact that all three of these saws "hunt" at idle, and show a lean condition right off idle, and when returning to idle, etc, etc.

(Others should keep in mind when reading this, that these saws cut just fine, and aren't stalling out, but the all have the same fundamental problem, which, IMHO is completely UNACCEPTABLE to put up with from a brand new peice of equipment).

Bottom line my friend....these saws do NOT meet the performance in all areas that I expect from my equipment. I posted my unbiased information on them. Use it, don't use it, like it, don't like it, not the point here. You're acting like I'm bad mouthing your Ford truck because you happen to own, drive and like one.

That is NOT what this is about. Three for three, my friend, all with the same EXACT issue(s). If you don't want to take the time to find out for yourself (it's NOT going to cost you a dime), that's fine, and YES, I would require a deposit of the purchase price to ship this saw to anyone, anyplace, nothing personal, but it does keep folks honest!......Cliff

Here you go Cliff. Would you spend $25 to fix it yourself since your sure the carb is the problem? Here is a new HDA 49.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310180455673&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

No I am not taking this personal I have been pretty much upfront with all this and if you noticed I didn't come in here just blasting off. I bought a saw, did some research etc.

Why not tell us why you won't just send it out to get it fixed for free?

I'm done with this, I have to get some things done today, going to mod the muffler on mine if I get time.

"Why not tell us why you won't just send it out to get it fixed for free?"

Our local Poulan Service facility is Amish owned, they work with flashlights in their mouths for crying out loud. Last time I was up there, they had at least 100 saws laying on the shop floor, and it was so dark back where they were working, I couldn't tell what they were working on?

I don't know their skill level(s), but they might not think anything was wrong with it, as it just hunts around at idle and does fine in the cut. I'm sure it would be a 40 mile round trip twice for nothing.

This saw needs to go back to the factory, or a higher level service facility than our good old local shop in the middle of the woods that doesn't have electricity.

Has anyone tried installing the HDA-49 carb yet?. I'm not up for throwing any money at this saw just yet, was hoping someone would have already tried it and could give us a report, etc?......Cliff

Has anyone tried installing the HDA-49 carb yet?. I'm not up for throwing any money at this saw just yet, was hoping someone would have already tried it and could give us a report, etc?......Cliff

Cliff, I mention this before and I still think you should just give up and return the saw.
Look at what these saws have done. They've wasted your time, not to mention the frustation and ever worst your've more or less stated you don't trust anyone on this site.
No, these saws are not worth the headache's.
It just wasn't meant to be. I don't care what brand it is I would have stop on the 2nd saw. If I had these problems.
One of the members offered to let you try his known good carb and another member offered to look at it for you, but yet your still hammering away at this.
Just state to everyone you think Poulans are junk and return the saw and let it go.
If we ever meet at a GTG than I'll be more than happy to let you run my 330 if you want to see what one can do.

But I really really think you should just let it go.

Latest posts

Back