4 saw plan (stihl)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking at changing my saw lineup from a 3 saw plan to a 4 saw plan. At the moment I have 200t, 036, 044. The 200t carries a 12", the 036 a 16" and the 044 has a 20" and 36" bar, semi skip on the 36". At work we use mainly husky except for 200t climbing saws, but on my own jobs I like to keep it all stihl just to be simple. I get good dealer support, can swap all my bits and pieces around and for the most part, I prefer stihl over husky so I'll probably keep it all stihl.

I'm thinking to keep the 200t and 044, sell the 036 and get a 660 and a 260. The idea is to have a bit of redundancy so most of the saws could fill in for the one above/below if something goes wrong. The 660 is a no-brainer, though I did see an 880 for a reasonable price the other day. If I went 660 or 880 then the bigger saw would carry a 36" all the time for ripping logs to go through the chipper and bigger take downs. I don't really have any need for a bigger bar than 36" because most of my work is residential take downs. I'd go to full compliment on the chain though.

The 260 is maybe not such a clear call. It's nice to have a mid size saw for a ground saw to limb and buck smaller stuff, and I've been using my 036 for that. At work we have husky 340's which are quite nice to use, and they can still do alright up in the tree if we're short of a climbing saw for whatever reason. The 036 does ok as a ground saw but it really isnt that great in the tree, and not much lighter than an 044 anyway so I'm thinking 260 here... does anyone have other possible candidates? Again, I'm keeping it all stihl.

Any viewpoints welcome...

Shaun

The first thing you have to deside on is do you like the new strato saws or not 261,441,441 M Tronic or the older 260,460.If you are not going to use a bigger bar than 36'' then there is no need for a 880.
That was easy, screw your dealer hard if you are going to get a couple at the same time.

I havent really run any of the newer saws, except for a 361 which felt ok... so I havent got any strong feelings about them either way. Any saws I buy are likely to be second hand. We don't get great deals in aus from our dealers, so if I was going to buy new then I'd buy from the states but what I understand is the 660 from the states isnt that great.

I'm likely to go with the pre-strato saws I guess, so 260 and 660.

Shaun

Correct about the us 660s,to made them run any good they need the dual port muffler,remove limmiter caps so ya can richen it up enough and a high out put oil pump for 36'' bars.
Better of getting a ported,modded one from the us for about the same price as a stock one in Ozz.
A lot of those new one on fleebay are us modles.
Andrew

I think the 200T, 260,440, and 660 is a good plan. It would be for me, but I don't know what you are cutting either. I use my 260 a lot. MM and caps off, re-tune and it's a screamer.

Sounds like a great plan to me!

My lineup is basically the same as the one you're looking at. Only I do not have the 200T. These saws all compliment each other very well. What one doesn't do well, the other will. Do the MM and retune the 260 and you'll be happy.

I think the 200T, 260,440, and 660 is a good plan. It would be for me, but I don't know what you are cutting either. I use my 260 a lot. MM and caps off, re-tune and it's a screamer.

That's what I thought would be a perfect combo for me, but I never loved the 260 so I got rid of it a week or two ago. Not sure what to fill the gap between the 200 and 440 with...I know the Mac 10-10 isn't it! :msp_tongue: it might just end up being a 20" bar on the big saws for a while...

Buying used I would find a good 066, no need for a 880 with a 36" bar a 066 will pull it faster, and weight a lot less. Then I would stay with the 044 or get a newer 440-441 and a 261 or 346 for limning. Then keep the 200t for in tree work.

That's what I thought would be a perfect combo for me, but I never loved the 260 so I got rid of it a week or two ago. Not sure what to fill the gap between the 200 and 440 with...I know the Mac 10-10 isn't it! :msp_tongue: it might just end up being a 20" bar on the big saws for a while...

what was it you didn't love about the 260? I've never run one, but spec wise at least they seem to be what I'm after. At work we have husky 340's which I quite like to be honest, a nice light mid size saw... but I do want to keep my own line up all stihl just to keep things simple.

A need a lighter saw that can be used in place of a 200T in the tree, should a be short of a climbing saw. For blocking down spars I'll often use the 044 but it does get a bit tiring on the arms. I wouldnt want to be using an 044 for a whole take down, just too big and heavy. The 036 really isnt much lighter.

Shaun

I agree that would be a good four stihl saw plan imo. There isn't much you can't conquer with it.

I wouldn't dare think of an 880, they are a big turd stock. I would rather take the 660 over the 880.

70cc with a 20" and 28. 90cc with a 32" and 42"
two saws 4 bars

I have an 880 and it's only used for hardwood over 30" and usually in over 40" wood otherwise my 066 is much better. And the 066 is almost always better in any size softwood. I'm going to stump a large 50"+ maple today and the 880 WILL get that job.

Stock for stock 90cc will out cut 120cc in 30" wood. In my eyes I see 120cc saw as a way bigger then 30" kinda critter or bolted to a mill.

In these tough times jobs are few and far between if push came to shove. I'd get rid of everything but my 440 and it would get the job done to tree sizes in the 40-50" range.
if I ran a tree care buzz I'd definatly make due with a climber type saw and one bigger prbly 70cc class saw. But I'm tigth ass system heart. And my CAD disease has been going away through these tough times

Getting a 660 is a good idea IMO. Adding a 260 is also nice for stuff that a 200 can do, but really works it. With a 260 you can keep some hours off the 200.

What works for me(keep in mind I am not a pro - just firewood). Is a;
ms170 12" or 14" can't remember
ms310 18"
660 mag 32"
o84 42"

Sometimes it would be nice to have something just a little bigger than the 170 but toward the end of the day man that little thing is light. It was cheap and works good up to about 4"
I sometimes wish I had something a little bigger than the 310 but it's got a muff mod (mild) so it's not too bad.
I've thought about a top handle saw for getting the brush out of the way a little easier but that would just be another mouth to feed.
Oh BTW I forgot about the little factory recontitioned mcculloch 2.0. I used that for a couple of years before I got into burning wood seriously. I tried to kill that thing after I got my 310 but it just wouldn't die. The last time I used it I was clearing some saplings near the kids tree swing and there was NO way I was taking a good saw to flush cut(in the dirt) a stump. Now it just sits on a shelf with a really dull chain.

Latest posts

Back