40 cc class saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand what you're trying to say I believe. However, I disagree to an extent. The resale value of each brand doesn't play into my decision too much because if the saw is a good saw, I'll keep it anyway. Replacing a 50cc saw with a 50cc saw makes sense when talking of newer saws. But, I can't believe that one of these choices wouldn't be what I'm looking for in a replacement for my 028. It is one of the older metal tank - no chain brake models. I doubt it has much more hp than the 421 or 250 and certainly weighs more, but I may be wrong about this. Also, I believe most would agree that I would be a fool to sell my 440 to buy a 362 or other 60cc. I use a 362 at work, and while they are fine saws, they will not hold a candle to my 440 and weigh very close to the same. I'm not expecting a 40cc saw to do the work of a 50cc, I'm looking to replace an older 028 to serve as a limbing saw, which I'm sure any of the choices mentioned would perform at that level.
My comments were only trying to be more precise about your questions.

Your search for a limbing saw is in the right direction.

The specs that I know of for the 028 are 43cc - ?hp - 5.?kg, 46,8cc - 3,0hp - 5.6kg and 51,5cc - 3,4hp - 5.8kg. Which one you have i have no idea.

What I forgot. If you get the 420/421, the starting procedure is different to the saws you are used to! You DON'T yank the pull chord like no tomorrow! It is a more continous pull. It has one of the modern easy start assist systems so that even your little daughter (if you have one) can start it.

Then your quite genuine, because many macho pro django guys see it as too unmanly in their view of world ...

I like it a lot. And know if the situation arises and my wife needs a saw and I am not home, she can start it and I don't have to worry! Although she doens't like working with chainsaws and prefers my little TH for the few times she needs one. But the 420(I only have the 420) is really a nice little tree muncher. Just recently I cut down a few dead trees (~50-60 feet high) at the boundary line the could have damaged the house of the neighbor if they fell the wrong way. Still I didn't see any need to unpack anything bigger.

Yeah don't get me wrong, i love the big saws and i can't wait for my 461 to get monkeyed with and let her throw some real chips. But there's more times it would make sense to have a small saw to use instead of using the 70+cc for limbs or trees less than 8-10 inches

One thing you have to consider is that Stihl's power ratings for the 250/251 are beyond a joke. Friend with a 250 that I helped him to adjust to run its best, then tried my GZ4000 (rated at 2.5 hp IIRC) and had this bewildered look. The RedMax was that much more powerful, and smoother. Yes, both had sharp chains.

When we start to talk about the 250 having its bar studs screwed into plastic, then IMHO we have to call a halt. The PS-421 and GZ4000 are at least an order of magnitude better built. For the same price. A no-brainer if ever there were one. They'll make you smile.

Unless I'm cutting something bigger than 16", the GZ4000 is my go-to. Limbing, totally. I tried a PS-421 for a half tank at a GTG, and if I didn't already have my GZ-4000, I'd have taken that PS-421 home, along with my new PS-6100. It's that good.

I have had my Ms250 stihl for 8+ years and never an issue with it.
good running saw.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

Do any of the AS sponsors sell Dolmars? No dealers in my area.

I'm pretty sure, unless something drastic comes up, that I'm going to go ahead and get the 421. Why is it that a saw, and a little saw at that, gets a man excited? I get as excited about getting a saw as i do a gun or anything. Dern CAD

I'm pretty sure, unless something drastic comes up, that I'm going to go ahead and get the 421. Why is it that a saw, and a little saw at that, gets a man excited? I get as excited about getting a saw as i do a gun or anything. Dern CAD

You won't regret buying the Dolmar. The 421 is real close in power to some 50cc saws and may even be head of some of the older models, especially with the cat removed. Make sure and get the 421 instead of the 420, the new air filter on the 421 is a big improvement, and it does seem to have some extra power.

Is it just me guys or does the small redmax's look just like the earthquakes?
Some of the Earthquake 38cc saw parts fit them. I think there are a suspicious amount of similarities. All in all, very well built saws- especially for the money.

Wanna bet that the Chinese "quakers" found some saws they liked in the RedMaxes, and made unlicensed copies?

(However it happened, my RedMax GZ-4000 looks to have been modeled very closely on the (Jenn Feng) "Mac" MCC1435A. That "mac" has proven to be one tough little saw, no matter what folks say here.)

The small Earthquakes are clones of the G3800. There are a lot of them in many names, brands and colors, and some with different cover shapes. These started to appear about the time that the GZ4000 came out, which is a strato engined saws based on the G3800 chassis - I don't know if they sold the rights to make the obsolete older design or not. With porting and mods it's a great little saw, just like the G3800.
Wanna bet that the Chinese "quakers" found some saws they liked in the RedMaxes, and made unlicensed copies?

(However it happened, my RedMax GZ-4000 looks to have been modeled very closely on the (Jenn Feng) "Mac" MCC1435A. That "mac" has proven to be one tough little saw, no matter what folks say here.)
The Jenn Feng saws appear to be license-built saws based on several Zenoah designs, including the GZ4000 and G3200 but with modifications from there. Eventually they put 40cc strato engines into the G3200 based chassis, but blocked off the strato intake system - go figure.

My Jenn Feng MS4018 is a GZ4000 clone, but most every part is a little different. The engine and case castings are JF, not Zenoah (but also very nice). The engines and mag cases will swap, but bar stud and crank threads are different, etc. It's just as nice as a GZ4000.

I'm already pretty much set on buying either a PS-421 or GZ4000. Can't decide. Is the 421 not a strato engine design? If not, what is the drawback? I am leaning toward 421 with immediate MM, but could be compelled to go with the 4000. Help me out fellas. I don't think I will have them ported, but it's not totally ruled out either. Can both be squished? Does either have limiters that I would have to remove or **** with?

Personally, I'm a huge Stihl fan, but when it comes to 40cc class, I'd go with something else.

I'm a big fan of my little Ryobi's, which are a (copy?) of the GZ400 with a Zenoah top end to boot! I do like the Dolly and have thought of getting one, however, I've not handled one. I think you're on the right track with the Redmax or Dolly.

For what it's worth, my Ryobi has strato engine with no cat and seems to have a decent edge on my buddies Earthquakes (38 and 41cc).

Personally, I'm a huge Stihl fan, but when it comes to 40cc class, I'd go with something else.

I'm a big fan of my little Ryobi's, which are a (copy?) of the GZ400 with a Zenoah top end to boot! I do like the Dolly and have thought of getting one, however, I've not handled one. I think you're on the right track with the Redmax or Dolly.

For what it's worth, my Ryobi has strato engine with no cat and seems to have a decent edge on my buddies Earthquakes (38 and 41cc).

Also a huge fan. However, can't justify to my CFO (the wife) that we need another high dollar saw. I want to replace my 32cc saw with something much better that will also not break the bank. These two saws fit the bill. I handled the 421 yesterday at a local dealer and it was a bit heavier in the hands than I expected, but handled and balanced well. I like that it has pro construction and can be modified.

Latest posts

Back