.404 vs 3/8 chain test - Stihl 661 w/ 28" tsumura

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is some rapid super weights I have on hand right now. (new chains)

24" 3/8 .063 84dl - 14.7oz
24" 404 .063 77dl - 17.7 oz

30" 3/8 .063 100DL for tsumura 30" - 17.4oz
30" .404 .063 91 DL for tsumura 30" - 21.2 oz

36" 3/8 .063 114DL - 20.0oz
36" 404 .063 104DL - 24.3oz

28"s are out in the car. But looks like the difference would be about 3.5 oz at 28".

Brad - I'll try the 8pin 3/8. I have a bar for that. I don't think tsumura makes a .325 tip. You'd need equally made bars...same bar maker.

Besides that - the real beauty of .404 is it stays sharp longer. Soo 20 cuts from new, it's going to pull away even more over 3/8. and even more so I would assume over .325".

Furthermore, you'd lose speed to the tsmura bar with any other bar, unless Cannon makes a .325" tipped bar. Cannon narrow nose and Tsumura light are really close in every respect.

Well Mr Bull it sounds like you need conduct a test where you, not me, makes 50 or so cuts without sharpening and see which chain is fastest. :surprised3: Please don't video the test because I would probably watch the entire session and waste an entire day. Come on, take one for the team.

well knowing how some here on AS react to my videos... I'm guessing they would use their incredible mind powers to come up with some way that I didn't do it correctly...like the gravitational force of the moon was ever so slightly different while I was cutting with 3/8ths.

But it might be fun :) we'll see.

I have an 8 pin .375 that can be in your hands with the other thing in a week or two ................ let me know

well knowing how some here on AS react to my videos... I'm guessing they would use their incredible mind powers to come up with some way that I didn't do it correctly...like the gravitational force of the moon was ever so slightly different while I was cutting with 3/8ths.

But it might be fun :) we'll see.
well if you would just stop phuckin around and do it right the first time you wouldn't have that problem now would ya :)

here is some rapid super weights I have on hand right now. (new chains)

Brad - I'll try the 8pin 3/8. I have a bar for that. I don't think tsumura makes a .325 tip. You'd need equally made bars...same bar maker.

Besides that - the real beauty of .404 is it stays sharp longer. Soo 20 cuts from new, it's going to pull away even more over 3/8. and even more so I would assume over .325".

Furthermore, you'd lose speed to the tsmura bar with any other bar, unless Cannon makes a .325" tipped bar. Cannon narrow nose and Tsumura light are really close in every respect.

I have some 325 tips,

Dave

Knots affect cut times just saying.

To me .404 shines in the cost department and softer wood when chip clearance is needed. And stronger straps for race chains

Good post. What about the 8 pin 404” rim? I run the 8 pin rim on hardwoods and 20” bars and under.

My husky 266se used 3/8”-8 pin rim, my 2100 used the .404”-8 pin rim and the older 240sg used the 325”-9 pin rim. But the chain has to be razor sharp.

Latest posts

Back