44 Rancher oil pump removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 44 Rancher he bought new in 1983. He's trying swap out an oil pump from a parts saw and said he couldn't get it out. Something about a washer-like piece that is part of the shaft holding it on. (I haven't seen it personally) He rebuilds his own truck engines so lack of experience isn't a factor. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm no expert, but just finished taking off a 1979 44 oiler to see if the cam screw was colored (see Husky 44 too much oil). The diagram for the 83 is here --

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HIPL/HIPL1983/HIPL1983_I8300010.pdf

The washer on the 79 model looked like it was locked on or just part of the shaft, but it wasn't. While removing the 3 screws that hold the oiler, I noticed two different threaded holes that are on opposite sides of the shaft. I placed 2 of the screws in those holes and used the claws of a hammer to gently pry each side up, a bit at the time. You could probably use a puller, but the hammer worked for me -- no problem is too big if you have a big enough hammer.

Good luck with it. After a little work the 79 model I was tinkering with runs like a screamin ....

I'm no expert, but just finished taking off a 1979 44 oiler to see if the cam screw was colored (see Husky 44 too much oil). The diagram for the 83 is here --

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HIPL/HIPL1983/HIPL1983_I8300010.pdf

The washer on the 79 model looked like it was locked on or just part of the shaft, but it wasn't. While removing the 3 screws that hold the oiler, I noticed two different threaded holes that are on opposite sides of the shaft. I placed 2 of the screws in those holes and used the claws of a hammer to gently pry each side up, a bit at the time. You could probably use a puller, but the hammer worked for me -- no problem is too big if you have a big enough hammer.

Good luck with it. After a little work the 79 model I was tinkering with runs like a screamin ....

Thanks for the info. I'll let him know. Those old Ranchers tend to get knocked a bit on this site but they are good saws. I have a 61 that I've rebuilt and just have to get the carb straightened out to get it going again.

There are threaded holes in the oiler to put screws in and puch out the oiler.
It must be in level otherwise the washer will pinch on the shaft.

Long bults and of it goes.

The precition of the washer is amazing, but you will find it is not attached, just very well fitted.

Like Riouder said,use 5 mm bolts,the longer the better in the 2 extra holes of the pump.Screw them to keep so the pump stays quite level and the washer will get out easily.

44 husky not oiling.

:) where is the oil pump on the 44.Do you have to split the case to get to it.?
Thanks ANY HELP WOULD BE HELPFUL
Opps I just found it the worm gear is stripped:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back