440/460 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying my hand at rebuilding a 440 or 460. I have never attempted this and wanted to see if it is worth doing. I was wondering what it normally cost in parts to rebuild these saws assuming I need the piston, cylinder, clutch, oiler, carb and electronics? Are these difficult saws to work on and rebuild? I have worked on all types of equipment but never blew up a saw so I have never attempt to rebuild one. I can get a new 440 right now for $600 which I think is a great deal. But if I can rebuild one for $2 to 3 hundred I may just do that. What do ya all think?

rebuild

All depends on the condition of the parts. If the crank is shot, probably not worth it. Piston, bearings and gaskets is about as much as should be done and still be worth repair.

Check Bailey's for the 044/046 big bore kits, if I remember correctly it's only about 110 or 120$ for a BB jug, piston, rings, piston pin, etc then another 20 or so for a gasket kit....

That will be the route I will go if I blow my 044 up

with the aftermarket jugs, the go no go is likely a question of having a good crank or not as mentioned by Stiltech.

not trying to rob the thread but looks like a good audience:
whats the consenus on replacing the cylinder gasket when replacing or removing the jug? is it really necessary if the old one is in good condition? should some type of sealer be used on each side of the gasket? also, what is/are the symptom(s) of seals leaking? im prety new to this stuff.

thanks n advance good day 1953greg

stihltech said:
Let's see, 2 or 3 hundred dollars of parts and you want to reuse a 5 dollar gasket?

Any questions?:angry2:

All the husky's I've done have been about 3 bucks, or less. I'd change the gasket, differant strokes for differant folks.....

Ray Bennett said:
I'm thinking about trying my hand at rebuilding a 440 or 460. I have never attempted this and wanted to see if it is worth doing. I was wondering what it normally cost in parts to rebuild these saws assuming I need the piston, cylinder, clutch, oiler, carb and electronics? Are these difficult saws to work on and rebuild? I have worked on all types of equipment but never blew up a saw so I have never attempt to rebuild one. I can get a new 440 right now for $600 which I think is a great deal. But if I can rebuild one for $2 to 3 hundred I may just do that. What do ya all think?

Those saws are easy to work on but parts are high. If ya looking to just try ya hand at rebuilding you pick some good saws to do it on. Just make sure ya put the piston in facing the right way. Arrow on top of the piston points to the exhaust side of the cylinder. If ya put it in backwards she'll run maybe 10seconds before the rings hang the port and break the piston. Other than that its a fairly simple put it back together process. Make sure you have a T-27 Torx driver before you start.

"Let's see, 2 or 3 hundred dollars of parts and you want to reuse a 5 dollar gasket?

Any questions?"

i get the point. thanks 1953greg

1953greg said:
"Let's see, 2 or 3 hundred dollars of parts and you want to reuse a 5 dollar gasket?

Any questions?"

i get the point. thanks 1953greg

o.k., now you have the point :laugh: , let me answer your original question... If you are using a new cylinder, get a new gasket.

If you are using the original cylinder (like when you do a quick piston or ring change), and if the PAPER gasket is nicely stuck down to the block or cylinder, with NO tears or any other marks, sure you can reuse it... I just put a very thin smear of Permatex HPF on the original gasket to make sure it seals well. I do this about 50% of the time and have never had a failure.

Never do this if the gasket is torn, separated, not firmly adhered to one surface or other, or shows signs of leakage.

If the gasket is the thin metal type (not paper), you MUST replace it... It won't seal again as it gets "bent" or "pressed" into position..

Symptoms of a bad cylinder gasket seal - won't hold pressure test, lousy idle, etc..

If you go with an overbore (OB) jug, you will need an OB gasket. You will want to leave the gasket in unless you plan to raise the ports and check the squish, otherwise you will lose some RPM and HP.

timberwolf said:
If you go with an overbore (OB) jug, you will need an OB gasket. You will want to leave the gasket in unless you plan to raise the ports and check the squish, otherwise you will lose some RPM and HP.

timberwolf,

is the crs 046 gasket from baileys an overbore gasket? their info dosent say its specific for the big bore? i didnt order it as i was going to use a stihl standard gasket. how are they different? i suspect inside diameter. can i put the standard gasket on the bottom of the cylinder and trim/file if necessary? does the piston extend into the crankcase at bdc? no port timing changes. just clean it up.

now what? :confused:

thanks 1953greg

Yes, the CRS 046 gasket works with the big bore kit. Did for mine. Dunno about stock, but seein's how the gasket doesn't extend past the edge of the mating surface on the crankcase, there can't be a problem. Because if the overbore piston was larger than the opening in the stock gasket, it would be larger than the opening in the case. Should be able to use an OEM gasket. But since you're already ordering from Bailey's, you might as well get it all in one place, right?

tek9tim,

is your 066 and bb460 cylinder & piston stock? if so how would you compare the them to each other? stock 460 vs bb 460? just wandering what to expect?

btw, the bb kit was already on its way before i learned of the overbore gasket.

thanks good day 1953greg

Well, my 660 is getting worked over by Washington Hot Saws right now, so it's no longer going to be stock, and my 460 big bore is more or less how it came from the factory, just did a little cleanup on the ports before putting it on.

Stock 660 outcuts the big bore 460. Lots more torque. Remember it's the same size piston, just different strokes. The displacement is closer to a 650 than it is to a stock 460. Stock 460 vs. big bore you can tell a difference. It's not a whole radical lot different feeling, but I find I can run an 8 tooth sprocket most of the time with a 32" bar with a whole lot less bog than stock.

Latest posts

Back