440vs372vs372xtorque

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnshaker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My favorite 70cc saw is the original 372 and the 440. Can't seem to break that tie. I have a cherry original 372 and am considering getting a new 440 before they are gone. I like the 372 xtorque but its just not the same. What do you guys think comparing the 3. Curious about opinions.

If I had to pick one it would be the OE372 I guess, (I have never run an X-torque 372) but really I prefer the newer offerings from Stihl over all of them (and I actually prefer a 576xp over them as well). Can't wait to see what Husky comes out with next.

Im a Husky guy .... so Id go with the 372 all the way ! Although my buddy has a 440..that thing is no slouch ! Not a fan of x-dork :) hhaha...just a fan of the older stuff personally .

I have a 372XP. 32", full skip Stihl RSF. I have a 372XT. 32", full skip Stihl RSF. I like the XT more. It seems to have more low rev power, and it's easier on fuel.

I never got the 440s appeal. It always seemed slow, had poor anti-vibe and an inferior air filter. It was solid, but always seemed inferior with user friendliness.

So my pick is the 372XT. With that said, my 461 smokes them all with the longbars. Well... Longbars for 70cc saws.

The obvious answer to your query is a Mastermind Ported 2171 with 75cc topend. Ive heard to stay away from xtorq if given the choice.

i ported my 372xt and with the 24'' bar buried completely in seasoned hickory, it will hold 11,500 to 12,000 rpms with it self feeding.

ive had really bad problems with the new stihl 440s . ive fixed 2 of them in the post weeek . seems like the casting on the piston is weak and the bottem of the pistion seems to brake off and score the cylinder and pistion to crap . but that could just be my bad luck lol .

OP- you'd be miles ahead of all the other's mentioned if you found you a clean Husq 288. Real fun begins at 87cc. Probably could find a real nice one for $4-500.

OP- you'd be miles ahead of all the other's mentioned if you found you a clean Husq 288. Real fun begins at 87cc. Probably could find a real nice one for $4-500.

I was trying to trade him mine for the 441;)

i gotta pick up my kids this week from Randy. He's had my 2153 since Sept (took it up there for the 50cc rematch- although it never made it on AS bc of the hack.... 2153 still is King:rock:). He brought back my 12mm 044 that I bought from Jer b4 the KY GTG. And my new 395xp just arrived there today from Dex. You'd think that would tide me over but Im in a debate between 545 and 550 for a truck/emer saw. And gett'n ready to trade 1 of my ported 359s for another 70cc Husq saw that I took interest in when I saw pics.:ices_rofl:

Back