441/460 or move to the 650/660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcatbubba

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. I've started a little side business selling firewood. My neighbor has about 600 acres of mature oaks and hickory and he lets me cut the dead stuff. Problem is that my one saw, the MS362, has a really hard time with the larger stuff, so I'm going to get a bigger saw for the bigger trees. So, for those of you who have used the 441 and 460, would I be better off spending a little more money and getting the 650/660. The hickory I cut yesterday was about 32-36 inches in diameter and there is a red oak that is down that is a good 4 feet across. I'm thinking the 650 or 660 but I don't want to overkill.

How many trees a year are you going to be cutting that are over 30"? If only a couple you could get by with the 70cc saws. If it's quite a few I would step up to the 660.

Probably as many trees as I can handle by myself. Right now I can cut and split about a tree per weekend (3-4 cords of wood). Of course I don't have to take the big ones, but I hate to let them just rot down.

My 046 can handle a 32" bar easily, though I usually run a 25"
You could also elect to mod the 460

Or you can buy the 660 @ have a selection of bars...I usually run a 28 on the 660. But the 660 is in a different league all together.

If money is no object & you know that you will encounter bigger wood(and you're not interested in modding your saw), then the 660.

I like the 660 better than a 460 for the big saw. I've had 2 460s and 2 660s and 660 is the most used saw right now. If money isn't an object get the 660 with a 36" and a 28" light weight bar.

Hi all. I've started a little side business selling firewood. My neighbor has about 600 acres of mature oaks and hickory and he lets me cut the dead stuff. Problem is that my one saw, the MS362, has a really hard time with the larger stuff, so I'm going to get a bigger saw for the bigger trees. So, for those of you who have used the 441 and 460, would I be better off spending a little more money and getting the 650/660. The hickory I cut yesterday was about 32-36 inches in diameter and there is a red oak that is down that is a good 4 feet across. I'm thinking the 650 or 660 but I don't want to overkill.

I would buy the 460, just by my personal experience and favorite. It has a range of bars. You could put a 42" on it. It wouldnt like it to much as stock but modded a bit and it wouldnt mind. Its an overall great saw unless its straight gased:angry2:
-ac

If you're cutting mostly bigger trees like the ones you mentioned, then the 660 is the only way to go. It's THE big wood saw. These trees you are talking about are hard wood and need the power of a big saw. Some guys out in the PNW that are recommending the 460 cut mostly softer wood A 460 will do that well, but won't cut Oak and Hickory near as fast as a 660. You gotta think, you're not just dropping and bucking a few logs, you're making a buck every 16-20" and that's alot of big cuts. Skip the 650 also, go for the big dog!

Randymac has rubbed off on you Brian. I do agree in that deal a 60 and a 90cc saw will do good.

Randymac has rubbed off on you Brian. I do agree in that deal a 60 and a 90cc saw will do good.

I find my self using my 066 more than my 372 cause I like the low end grunt more than the weight savings. I like 32" bar, the 066 is the most used saw I have gonna have to get another new one and have it ported. I want a 660 like pats I got saw envy and skill envy.

Yeah I really like the one I've got. It came from the same guy that did Burvols.

attachment.php

The hickory I cut yesterday was about 32-36 inches in diameter and there is a red oak that is down that is a good 4 feet across. I'm thinking the 650 or 660 but I don't want to overkill.

If you are going to run them stock, go with the 660. A ported 440/441/460 can easily pull a 32" b&c, the 440/460 need the oiler upgrade though, not sure about the 441.

30in. plus hardwood on a regular basis? Then 660 is the winner hands down. If it was an occassional thing then I might consider the 460 because they are such a great saw for the wood on the east coast. But in the timber you are describing the 660 would be, and is, my choice.

I agree with many of the others, get the big dog 660. I would recommend having a 25" bar and a 32 or 36 for the big stuff so you are covered for anything the 362 can't handle. Also get a factory dual port muffler cover for it and gain .5 to .8 HP in one easy step.

Steve

Latest posts

Back