441 or 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to respctfully and completely disagree with that statement on AV. The only saw I have now that doesn't have new av technology is my new 660. To tell you the truth I love the saw but I don't run it until absoloutely necessary due to the vibes, not the weight. I owned a 460 and now a 441 and there is no comparisson, I can run a 441 all day versus the 460 by lunch. Not much difference in power and no issues whatsoever with it and none from the guys I know that run them either, great saw and if the 461 or 661 is similar my 660 will be gone in a flash. I also think people are forgetting that the 441 has been around a few years now and it has passed the reliability test.

I think some people are more vibration sensitive than others. I've run my 660 many times for full days and vibration has never kept me from picking it back up and going at it again. After riding dirt bikes and old Harleys for years the 660 seems pretty smooth to me.

To the OP, glad you made your choice. I'm sure you'll be happy with that 441.

Thanks Cope and thanks to everyone that posted.

Back on the green vs. yellow (or tapered vs. non-tapered) bar tip, I was looking at all the saw pics on http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=69329&highlight=pictures and noticed a lot of guys running the green or tapered bars? I totally agree the yellow is the pro stuff and the green has got to be lacking in performance to gain safety. Otherwise it would all be the same. Just wondered why so many are running the green??? I don't see any aftermarket bars that are tapered...

AFAIK Stihl does not make a 28" green bar. They make 3 25" bars, a 13t nose, an 11t nose, and a 10t(green) nose. The 28" bars are 13 and 11t nose yellow bars. The 25" 10t ES is not reduced performance, just reduced weight.

What about the thought that the 441 is the "1st wave" of new saw tech and next year they'll come out with a more refined design? (or a 461...)

This saw is much more a "want" than a "need". If I decide on the 441, maybe it would be better to wait a little while to see what's around the corner?...

My first thought reading this was that the MS441 is a really good "want" saw. the 460 is a work horse. Ill take the workhorse but whatev for you.

if i ever buy a new saw it would prolly be the ms460 and id send it straght to slingr.

Last edited:
Never run a 28" green b&c, but I have gone away from anything green label from Stihl and an have never looked back. The yellow is their pro stuff, and IMO worth the wait to get. You'll be plenty happy with the 24", and I would get that for regular use over the 28". Get a 28" later and reserve it for occasional use.

+1

i would deff say go 25" yellow

Edit: unless you are this guy... lmao

http://www.forestryjournal.co.uk/PDFfiles/MS 441.pdf

he makes fun of a 20" for being long on a 441. hehe

Last edited:
Ok, I think I've settled on getting a 441 with a 28. I called my dealer this morning and he quoted me $798.99. That's $50 cheaper than the dealer near my work.

Only problem is the 28 bars he has are the green, smaller nose type. I was shooting for the yellow. He can have the yellow 28 in a few days... I really don't want to wait. How much difference will I really notice between the green and yellows?...

Another option would be to go back down to the 25. He has that in yellow...

I'd take the 25", for the reason of better balance.

Small or large nose only matters for bore-/plunge-cutting, so it depends on how much you do of that.

Troll: will you explain this? Which is better for which purpose?

Since ST may be napping...the large nose bar(13T) is better for boring because the large nose radius allows a larger bearing, which is more durable, but more prone to kickback. The small nose bar(11T) has a narrower profile and is therefore lighter. Choose your weapon...

I run a 25" on my 441 and its does 90% of my bigger work and it is just fine with a 32". I think you will be very happy but just understand that the new motors take forever to break in and are coldblooded till they do. Mine has a ton of hours and is still getting better so be patient with it.

But isn't the 441 pretty proven at this point too. I've read several comments that it will out cut the 460 (some even said it was close to keeping up with a 660?..)
Sure wish I had a dealer that was able to let me try both...

I own a 460 and 660 and have used a 441 and can say it definitely will not out cut the 460 and forget about even close to a 660

441 and 460 are within a second of each other either way. Maybe you got a strong 460 or ran a weak 441 but there is video on the search feature to back it up. I also have owned a 460 with a dp muff and now own a 441 and can tell you I cant tell a difference, in fact if anything the 460 would get hung up when the 441 would keep pulling. As far as being equal to a 660 my moneys on the 441 in 20" wood but I place my bet on the 660 in larger wood.

I place my bet on the 660 in larger wood.

No doubt about that.

I have a question about the 441. The stihl website says you can get a 441 with a wrap, but does that come with (or can you get it with) the big sprocket cover/extended chip deflector and the HO oiler like the 660?

No doubt about that.

I have a question about the 441. The stihl website says you can get a 441 with a wrap, but does that come with (or can you get it with) the big sprocket cover/extended chip deflector and the HO oiler like the 660?

441R comes just like that.

i am so glad to see some decent comments on a 411 vs 460 thread. some of the previous ones have been getting ridiculous. i went through this same thing when i was looking at getting my saw. i ended up with the 441. i figured at the time i was 20 had the money so i got the most up-to-date saw i could. the tech longevity was what i was after aka new tech saw. is you go by hard figures the ms 460 has better power to weight but the 441 has everything else in its favor. i love my 441, could use it all day, and have done so. as for the 461 i haven't heard anything from my state manager, then again we're usually a few years behind you guys, just got the 6 series blowers. so they may drop it and then just go for a 661 who knows

i am so glad to see some decent comments on a 411 vs 460 thread. some of the previous ones have been getting ridiculous. i went through this same thing when i was looking at getting my saw. i ended up with the 441. i figured at the time i was 20 had the money so i got the most up-to-date saw i could. the tech longevity was what i was after aka new tech saw. is you go by hard figures the ms 460 has better power to weight but the 441 has everything else in its favor. i love my 441, could use it all day, and have done so. as for the 461 i haven't heard anything from my state manager, then again we're usually a few years behind you guys, just got the 6 series blowers. so they may drop it and then just go for a 661 who knows

And how impressed are you with it's cutting performance?

Latest posts

Back