441 or 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up the 441 this morning. I kept telling myself to wait and I really didn't need the saw, but the "want" got the better of me... Plus the Stihl MSRP is $849.95 and my dealer wanted $800, so I had to buy it now before his price went up...

I picked up the 441 this morning. I kept telling myself to wait and I really didn't need the saw, but the "want" got the better of me... Plus the Stihl MSRP is $849.95 and my dealer wanted $800, so I had to buy it now before his price went up...

Nice, she sure is purty.:clap:

Did you end up going with the 25" "yellow" bar? I haven't handled a 441 yet and it's hard to get a perspective with the saw and bar length.

Did you end up going with the 25" "yellow" bar? I haven't handled a 441 yet and it's hard to get a perspective with the saw and bar length.
I bought the saw with a 25 ES/yellow/11 tooth and it pulls that great in hardwood, but I've since changed down to a 20 ES/yellow/11 tooth. I was running a 8 pin rim with the 20, but have changed back to the stock 7 now. It just flat out rips though the wood and was a little scary with the 8!:cheers:

My my my, tat is pruty. Good price too.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Where is the Hills of Virginia??

I bought the saw with a 25 ES/yellow/11 tooth and it pulls that great in hardwood, but I've since changed down to a 20 ES/yellow/11 tooth. I was running a 8 pin rim with the 20, but have changed back to the stock 7 now. It just flat out rips though the wood and was a little scary with the 8!:cheers:

That was my experience too. You cannot lean on an 8 pin with a stock 70cc saw. With bigger bars, its even worse. In smaller wood, I didn't notice enough of an increase in cutting speed to justify keeping the 8 pin on the saw. Definitely worth the $4 to try it for myself. I can always throw it on my future 90cc saw :chainsawguy:

Congrats! I now have two of em and did some work on an 034 last night for a family friend, he's about 55 and was at the shop and wants a new saw since the 034 is 24 yrs old. Anyhow I told him to try my 441 out and the first thing he said was it's kind of heavy with a 25" bar and then he cut for about a half hour and came to the conclusion that a few extra lbs doesn't mean much if he can cut his wood up in half the time. I just got a text from him and guess what he's got in the back of his pickup. My dealer should comp me since I think i've sold about ten of those things by just letting guys run mine. He bought a 20" by the way so I see some white knuckles for a bit!

Thanks for the info! I'm really leaning towards the 441 for my next saw purchase. What do you think the chances are of finding a used one? It sounds like the guys who buy them really like them, so I'm thinking there might not be that many around. I wouldn't buying new either, maybe next year.

Just keep your eyes open and you might find a used one. I've defiantly heard of guys not liking them. So there should be some used one's out there. Seems some of the die hard old school Stihl guys sometimes can't get used to the new tech or feel of the Strato saw. Maybe they just don't give it enough of a chance. I really like mine and bought it to replace a 038 Mag that I've been running since 1990 or so...

Latest posts

Back