460 oiler problem. I'm stumped, pun intended.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunrise Guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, my oil isn't getting to my bar. I have changed out oil pumps, before, but this time I have a weird situation: I'm getting lots of oil at the relief valve, it sprays out when full throttle. The delivery port stay dry, however. I've run a wire from the port to as far as it'll go, presumably back to the pump, but still, nothing. I filled my oil tank with straight gas to see if that'll dissolve the problem. So far, still bad. So, it can't be a bad pump, right? Since the oil is spraying out of the relief valve, that would indicate the pump is OK, as best I remember the routing when I changed out a pump on this saw, about three years ago. OK, saw guys, am I looking at another fun afternoon breaking down the saw to change out the pump, or is there another way to go, something I haven't thought of? Thanks for your help.

Relief valve?

Shouldn't be spraying anything from anywhere.

The silver disk with the pinhole has oil coming out of it. As best I remember, that is a relief valve. Anyway, I'm not getting oil at the delivery port. Do you have any helpful advice to offer?

The silver disk with the pinhole has oil coming out of it. As best I remember, that is a relief valve. Anyway, I'm not getting oil at the delivery port. Do you have any helpful advice to offer?
That is the vent
If you have gas in the oil tank it will spray out it.
Nothing should be coming out of it.
I would look at the worm gear.
It's pretty rare for a oil pump to go bad

That is the vent
If you have gas in the oil tank it will spray out it.
Nothing should be coming out of it.
I would look at the worm gear.
It's pretty rare for a oil pump to go bad

I remembered that the vent is not inline with the pump. Looks like I'll be getting to the pump to replace the worm gear. Thanks.

I remembered that the vent is not inline with the pump. Looks like I'll be getting to the pump to replace the worm gear. Thanks.
I would look to see if the drive wire on the worm gear is sticking past the clutch so the drum can engage it.

It could be a bad pump but that's pretty rare

I'm an old mechanic and recently got into the Stihl saws. From a mechanics point of view.... What happens when you have the chain and bar off of the saw with it running? does it pump oil out of the port?

Thanks

I'm an old mechanic and recently got into the Stihl saws. From a mechanics point of view.... What happens when you have the chain and bar off of the saw with it running? does it pump oil out of the port?

Thanks
If the saw is idling, then no; but if you rev it for a while you should see oil.

Latest posts

Back