460 or 660 for part-time milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spalted

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Brand new to the site. I'm interested in trying my hand at milling with an Alaskan 30" mill. I don't expect to do that much milling, maybe a tree a year, so I'm in need of a saw that will handle the milling and for felling some of the larger trees on my property. However, I don't want overkill/weight/cost. I'm considering a 460 or a 660. Would the 460 be enough for milling an occasion log or should I just spend the extra $200 so I don't regret it later?

:popcorn::popcorn:
Don't worry they'll be along to help you soon, I'm in the same boat as you.
How big of logs are you looking to mill? You can normally get used 660's about the same price as used 460's.
Where abouts in NE Ohio?

. . . . I don't expect to do that much milling, maybe a tree a year . . . .
:laugh: that's what they all say :laugh:

Bear in mind that about 6" of bar is taken up by the Alaskan clamps. If you want to mill a 30" tree, you need a 36" bar. That's definitely 660 territory.

I reckon a 460 would handle one tree a year at 30" - just don't expect it to cut very fast.

The question to ask yourself is more like how big are the majority of your trees that you will mill.
My cross over would around the 18-20" mark - above that then I'd say the 660 would make a lot more sense below that the 460 would be OK.

Brand new to the site. I'm interested in trying my hand at milling with an Alaskan 30" mill. I don't expect to do that much milling, maybe a tree a year, so I'm in need of a saw that will handle the milling and for felling some of the larger trees on my property. However, I don't want overkill/weight/cost. I'm considering a 460 or a 660. Would the 460 be enough for milling an occasion log or should I just spend the extra $200 so I don't regret it later?
That's sparse info - MORE DATA!
1. What else will you do with the saw? Cut 50 cord of hardwood at a landing? Get a 660 Traipse over a 300 acre plot occasionally felling a 30" DBH tree? Get a 460.
2. How big are the larger trees in your AREA? Not necessarily your lot. If a 5' DBH cherry tree goes down at your best friends you'll love having a 660 and and getting a 5' bar drop shipped. If 30" is the biggest in your local area a 460 will do.
3. How easily do you get addicted to snorting a mix of saw chips and two stroke fumes mixed with your own sweat while being deafened? if you do get a 660.
4. How addicted are you to Stihl? Definetly get a saw w/ an inboard clutch and side tensioner.
5. What does $200 represent to YOU? To me it's 2 hours of work, 1/400 th of my (near) future annual retirement pay. To my youngest son it's 20 hours of work. Can you tell whomever is involved in the financial decisions (which may be only you)
Darn, the 460 is GREAT, but I really need to ADD a 660!
6. If you've settled on a 30" Mark III get a 460. A 660 should pull a 36" cut.

I was in a similar position - I won my JD CS 62 here (about the size of a 360) and milled up to 18" wide. w/ some bogging. Got my ebay 660 and did 20"plus w/ ease hope to test it's max soon.

Ebay/CL used 660's should drop in price to around $500 for a good powerhead in the early spring.

Thanks for all the replies. I realized after I sent the question I didn't send enough info...rookie mistake.

I own 25 wooded acres. Most of my cutting will be for a couple cords of firewood a year and would be comprised of 12-18" soft maple with an occasional oak up to 24" couple with some crop tree releasing of various sizes. But now that I have the desire to mill a log or two to make some stuff for around the house, my 026 needs a big brother. A bigger saw would also make cutting up some of the bigger trees quicker as well, of course.

Right now I'm forseeing to mill nothing larger than 24". I know I would be better off with the 660 for any milling activity but didn't know if its really necessary for the amount I plan on doing. But like BobL says...."that's what they all say."

SO, from the responses and what I'm currently planning, I'm on the bubble for saw size. But since I do love "snorting a mix of saw chips and two stroke fumes", I guess I have to go with the 660. Thanks.

BTW Neotree, I live in Stow with property in Hiram. You??

Thanks for all the replies. I realized after I sent the question I didn't send enough info...rookie mistake.

I own 25 wooded acres. Most of my cutting will be for a couple cords of firewood a year and would be comprised of 12-18" soft maple with an occasional oak up to 24" couple with some crop tree releasing of various sizes. But now that I have the desire to mill a log or two to make some stuff for around the house, my 026 needs a big brother. A bigger saw would also make cutting up some of the bigger trees quicker as well, of course.

Right now I'm forseeing to mill nothing larger than 24". I know I would be better off with the 660 for any milling activity but didn't know if its really necessary for the amount I plan on doing. But like BobL says...."that's what they all say."

SO, from the responses and what I'm currently planning, I'm on the bubble for saw size. But since I do love "snorting a mix of saw chips and two stroke fumes", I guess I have to go with the 660. Thanks.

BTW Neotree, I live in Stow with property in Hiram. You??

Yeee Haaaaa!

Latest posts

Back