460 or 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If ya have a 361 allready myself Id lean twords the 660.If most cuttins on flatter ground and close to vehical. I have a ported 372 and an 066 DP, the 372 with an RW bar is my hillside special. Flatter ground I prefer my 066 with a 32" Cannon lead bar.

Last edited:
If ya have a 361 allready myself Id lean twords the 660.If most cuttins on flatter ground and close to vehical. I have a poted 372 and an 066 DP, the 372 with an RW bar is my hillside special. Flatter ground I prefer my 066 with a 32" Cannon lead bar.

A 372 and an 066. The ultimate combo IMHO. Nice.:bowdown::bowdown:

Either saw will work for you both are amazing . I would get the 460 with a 28"bar,for 30"wood.

wood014.jpg

Here is the skinny on the sixty six. you will never ask yourself if you need more saw, now want is another issue(cad). nothing in this first pic warrants a sixty six but wait does it?

wood009.jpg

It makes quick work of a trailer full of wood, only took me a couple minuets to buck these pecker poles into wood stove rounds, just listen for the pitch to change when the chain starts to skim the deck of the trailer.

side note, this wood was free so I took it.

BTW I will have to say that the sixty six is a luxury for firewood as is the 460 as they are both professional saws. The lowly 032 with its too long 20 inch bar has dropped Ponderosa's that were 5 foot through the middle. So if you know what you are doing a pro saw is not needed but then who wants to be cutting on a tree for an hour and a half when you can do it in a few minutes.

Hey thanks for all the replies. The City of Pittsburgh isn't really known for its forests so when I say 30" is about the biggest that is pretty accurate, sans a few monster silver maples we see from time to time. The weight of the saw isn't really a factor, I'm still in my 30's in good shape standing 6'1 at 195 pounds. I will digest all the input and come to some decision I'm sure.

Last edited:
Oh have some fun if you are buying a new saw get the big one. Both will work fine for you unless you are really cuttin tough stuff you won't even know the difference.

OK, for what all say, we all know a 660 will whoop a 460 in bigger wood. However, that was not your asking. Albeit a 460 is big for firewood and is a better choice if that is what your choices are. My preference is a woods ported 440 by Dave Neiger, just lucky enough to have one. Light, nimble and quick as all get out. Not saying others can't build the same but, love mine. I dare say the 460 or 660 couldn't keep up in fire wood applications.

Apples to Oranges

Surprised no one has said "Neither get a ....." :mad2: Hate when I see that. So already the OP has stated cost isn't an issue, weight isn't an issue. People keep saying get a 460 and port it, and it is faster than a stock 660. Well that's kinda like saying Dale Jr's Chevy is faster than the one you get a dealer... DUH the saw has been internally modified. Do the same work to a 660, and then what?

So stock for stock, the 660 vs. the 460, cost and weight are not factors. That leaves really only power and fuel usage.... and those are items on the opposite ends of the spectrum for both saws... He has a 361, as did I when I went through the same thought process the OP is, the jump from the 361 to 460 in published specs is similar to the jump from 460 to 660. I couldn't see getting a 460 and going up only ~10 cc why not jump in fully and grab the 660 and be done with it.

Comparisons need to be made tic for tac, stock vs stock, or modded vs modded..... its only fair way to go about it.

dw

I have a 460 and a 660, both are super saws! I do find myself grabbing the 460 with 25" bar more than I do the 660 with 28" bar. However, when I find myself in some of the big white oaks on my property, the 660 is king. Either one of these saws will serve you very well, you can't really make a bad decision on this one.

Surprised no one has said "Neither get a ....." :mad2: Hate when I see that. So already the OP has stated cost isn't an issue, weight isn't an issue. People keep saying get a 460 and port it, and it is faster than a stock 660. Well that's kinda like saying Dale Jr's Chevy is faster than the one you get a dealer... DUH the saw has been internally modified. Do the same work to a 660, and then what?

So stock for stock, the 660 vs. the 460, cost and weight are not factors. That leaves really only power and fuel usage.... and those are items on the opposite ends of the spectrum for both saws... He has a 361, as did I when I went through the same thought process the OP is, the jump from the 361 to 460 in published specs is similar to the jump from 460 to 660. I couldn't see getting a 460 and going up only ~10 cc why not jump in fully and grab the 660 and be done with it.

Comparisons need to be made tic for tac, stock vs stock, or modded vs modded..... its only fair way to go about it.

dw

Weight and money not an issue that settles that MS880 :hmm3grin2orange:

I prefer the 660 in 28'' and larger hardwood. The 660 is truly king (obviosly) BUT it is heavier and thirstier. The 460 is a great was and would be a great choice aswell. For a hundred bucks i saw go for the 660 but dont be suprised the first time you run it for a few hours and think damn this thing is heavy.

I'm cutting pretty much the same stuff as the original poster, not so much in the bigger range, but if my spine wasn't giving me sh!t, I'd get myself either MS441 M-Tronic or a Husqvarna 576XP Autotune. The 660 is fun until the weight and vibes start wearing you down, so my 066 pretty much stays where it belongs, on my logosol.

Since you've already got an MS361, it would be cheaper and a lot more fun to get that 361 ported! A ported 361 is going to do most of what a 460 could do, with a lot less weight and fewer vibes. Instead of leaving the 660/460 in the trailer until needed, you'll be running that ported 361 all the time! Instead of dropping a grand on a new saw you'll use for 10% of your cutting, you'll spend $250 and have plenty left over for bars, chains, women, and booze.

Here's the deal
If you get the 460 ( i have one, it's a damn fine saw) you'll always wonder what the 660 is like to run (I did, so I bought one and it's a bad mother####er) and unless you're a 90 lb weakling or were alive to get caught up in a dust storm during the Great Depression then you're not going to notice the weight difference

get the 660 then slap a 28" or 32" on it, they balance nice with both

If your like most of us here ,you will spend some time here want more saws,want bigger saws,albeit both saws a more than capable but when buying a new saw i was looking at the 460 but at the time the 660 was only$200 dearer(on special)so i went with the 660(ozzie model),no regrets ,i run bars from 16" up to 36" ,Both saws are first classlet us know what you get

460 /660

I ran a 044 for years long before the 046 was even available.I used a 28/32 inch bar never had a problem.When I got my first 066 I put a 42"bar on the 660 loves long bars and big timber.

Bought a 460 a couple months ago, and I've started my 66 twice since I bought the 46. (just cuz I had to cut myself out of a couple bucks) They balance very nicely with a 28" RW bar also - Sam

Latest posts

Back