460 vs 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you feeling all right 2000?

Yeah, pretty good. I think the 440 is a better match for the 372 but many cry that it's no longer in production so I could not take that road. Just from reading this site for a few years, the 372 seems to lack the grunt/torque of a comparable Stihl. As mentioned earlier, lean on it and it stops. I like to stick the dawgs in a log and just pull away sometimes. This also helps when in a pinch. Vibes are the only thing I believe the husky has over a Stihl, many whine about that too but I have never noticed vibes from my 440 or 460. I also don't like the feeling of a 361 in the cut........

Last edited:
You need to finesse the 372 in the cut........If you have the lean on the saw attitude the Huskys not for you......My 372 is a slug when you lean on it....If you get it pinched never pull on it......It might come out in two pieces.....:) :)

This is where the bs gets thick, I will tell ya I have pulled, leaned into,
and done everything you say a 372 wont handle and mine did. If you
are going to knock on something use fact instead of sentiment. I have
not used the big bottomed 460 so can not make a valid reply as to its
performance. I don't need to for ten more years my saws will stand the
test of time. Slug lol if you stihl are trying to get it running ya might be a
stihl head:notrolls2:

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty good. I think the 440 is a better match for the 372 but many cry that it's no longer in production so I could not take that road. Just from reading this site for a few years, the 372 seems to lack the grunt/torque of a comparable Stihl. As mentioned earlier, lean on it and it stops. I like to stick the dawgs in a log and just pull away sometimes. This also helps when in a pinch. Vibes are the only thing I believe the husky has over a Stihl, many whine about that too but I have never noticed vibes from my 440 or 460. I also don't like the feeling of a 361 in the cut........

Sheesh take the chain brake off learn to run a saw:rolleyes: Stick with
gadgets if you can't run the big dawgs lol!

Sorry I have a 372 and a 375K .........I own plenty of Huskys and I sure dont see what your saying......I own all brands and you call it BS ...Im just telling what my experience is......I guess owning and running that saw doesnt count to some people.......BTW ...I dont have a 460 anymore.......It met up with a 4960 JD and lost...........

Fact is Im not impressed with the 372XP and like some other models from other brands that I have owned its my view like it or not...

And to all the beloved Husky fans ...Dont forget the sunscreen for your saw or you might end up with a burnt orange.....

Last edited:
Yup, but the 60 series had the exhaust that came back and went up the corner of the cab.
The biggest I ever used was a 4450, which would crush a 460 in good shape as well.

Yes it would certainly crush a 460. You should see what a 4555 will do to an arm that gets stuck between a silage dump wagon and a dump truck. I thought he was going to have the arm amputated.

I used to use the 4955 to pull an 8 bottom (maybe 9) plow and disk. Big tractors for sure. The 4555 was used to pack the bunk silo with a front blade bigger than a pickup truck on it's side.

There ain't a saw made that could handle that!!!!!!!
(for those who don't know, the 4960 is a big tractor)

It was a rescue 460 that I bought a few years ago.....A friend was using it ...He just fueled it when his wife came out and said he had a phone call....His son went to move the tractor and never saw my saw and backed over the saw and the gas can..........His farm ins paid me for it... ..Looks like this kinda stuff happens a lot.......

Come on now ropensaddle,
your dealing with a man that tells his "Views" of a saw through a camera while others are showing him how it's done. ;)

Last edited:
Both Nice Saws

I personally like the 372 for day in and day out cutting. To me, it is close in power, and much more comfortable to use. I have used 460's a bunch, and have a 372xp and xpw. The 460 has more poop than either 372's, and might be a bit more "fun" to run, especially with the 046 muffler on it.

For me at least, the 372 handles better and was the saw I reached for when I had a choice. The 460 is a fine machine, and seems to have a slightly higher build quality than the 372. I am really surprised that more folks don't notice the vibration difference between the two. After a few hours I can really feel it.

Need to get some more time behind the 7900....although the full wrap bars for it look kind of funky.

I can't count how many post that are in the serch, That say the 372 is better compaired with the 460.

And I can't find one serch that shows a person pulling a 372 apart trying to get it out of a pinch. Hmmmmmm

The 460 seemed like a underdog when Stihl had both the 440 and 460 selling side by side.
I would take the 440 over the 441 any day.
For the same reason I would take the 372 over the 460.

I can't count how many post that are in the serch, That say the 372 is better compaired with the 460.

And I can't find one serch that shows a person pulling a 372 apart trying to get it out of a pinch. Hmmmmmm

The 460 seemed like a underdog when Stihl had both the 440 and 460 selling side by side.

Isn't this all about personal preference? I didn't think it was a popularity contest. It's great we have choices isn't it? Let's face it, not everyone likes tall, thin, readheads with big boobs but, I do.
(I know, not a great example!;))

I don't understand, surely they're pretty different - certainly in terms of cc and weight. The 460 is just plain bigger, so will of course have more power, torque and mass. But I don't follow your logic - you'd take the 440 over the 441 cos the 441 is heavier with no supposed power gain (well maybe some would disagree either way). the 372 is lighter, but at the cost of quite a few cc's and therefor grunt.

so you'd be using different reasoning there...

Surely the questions a simple one, do you need the power of the 460 over the 372? If so it's a no brainer. If not why not compare it with the 441 - as that's the direct competitor. I guess that's also an easy choice though...

Isn't this all about personal preference? I didn't think it was a popularity contest. It's great we have choices isn't it? Let's face it, not everyone likes tall, thin, readheads with big boobs but, I do.
(I know, not a great example!;))

Yes it does all come down to personal preference.
Then it comes down how you can handle that Saw.
Just like woman they all like to be handled different, To Hmmmm get the best preformance out of them.

Back