ECHO CS-7301

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 800 is 80.7cc and has less power than the 7310? Forgive me for being skeptical. All manufacturers have stupid marking, that the general public often eats up. The worst one in the saw world I know of, is Husqvarna with the higher cutting capacity claim, what does it even mean and how would one measure it? Log splitters with 20 tons written on the side, yet do the math and you get like 13 tons.
Yes, 800P does produce less POWER as an actual SI system physical number (which is force x speed or torque x rpms in engine terminology).
This is obviously not easy for everyone to understand and sometimes a bit sad to read across the enthusiast threads.

800P has simply SLOWER engine which has a torque drop-off at higher RPMs therefore it can theoretically cut thicker stuff with longer bar but if you cut something average 7310 will be faster.
In simple terms anywhere above 8700RPM 7310 has more torque while below those RPMs 800P has naturally more of it.

I’ve always wanted to know what they meant by “higher cutting capacity”??
"cutting capacity" is typically the cutting speed, measured in square units per second (cm2/s).
Manufacturers normally have their own benchmarks for said sizes of the saws and do series of cutting - typically rectangular precisely dimensioned bare logs which are cut many times using different pressure (to cause different, planned, STEADY RPMs).
Obviously, wood does not have steady characteristics, so all results are relative to each only if performed as a comparison at the same time in the same conditions and many times.

It goes without saying just power or just torque is not enough - cutting equipment is just as important part of it all.
Also there are unmeasurable things - how easy or hard it is to control the engine (rpms) in the cut, how peaky or forgiving it is etc...

The CS-800 is an older design and lacks power and professional features found on the 7310.

It has an outboard clutch.

Oils the bar all the time.

Single layer air filter with access to the L and H screws under a removable rubber plug.

Heavy and underpowered.

I've owned Echo CS-6700's, CS-670's and CS-800's and sent all of them on down the road in favor of the CS-590/600P/620P/PW's. I'll add a 7310 to the stable at some point.

The CS-800 in particular is build like a tank but ported more for mid-range power. It's lacking in upper mid-range and top end power and when you lean one up to get it to RPM it stalls easily against the clutch when you place a heavy load on it.

The CS-670's have better air filtration but still not overly powerful for the CC's. They are all still decent saws but IF you own a Husqvarna 262XP/268XP/272XP/372XP it will be unlikely you'll find yourself reaching for one of the Echo's when you are loading up the truck for an outing. In comparison they are lackluster in performance and fairly heavy.

With all that said I've seen some pretty impressive results from 670's/800's/8000's from folks porting them, but I don't get involved in all that here I just work on them and provide information as accurate as I know it to be from hands-on experience with stock units........Cliff

How is Echo meeting the EPA regs with a conventional 2-stroke and a regular old user adjustable carb? If they can bring this to market, why can't/won't Stihl and Husky do it?
Going back to tech schools 10+ years ago when Stihl was fully committed to 4mix, and Strato Charging was the next big thing...we asked how Echo was able to get by with only 1, at the time, model that wasnt conventional 2 stroke (pb413H). Echos statement was that a 2 stroke could still meet regs for many years and retain the light and simple nature if the manufacturer was committed to research and development to stay ahead of the regulations.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

The book says 14.8 lb but it feels slightly heavier than the 572 in my hands, but that could be a balance thing. I'll have to put it on my scale, as manufacturer weights are often not that honest.
Going by Mitch's pic last month with both dawgs PHO dry. Was very close to paper spec they changed it too. Went from 6.7kg to 6.8kg later 14.99lbs. So pretty much dead on to Mitch weight he showed us. https://www.echo-tools.co.uk/products/chainsaws/cs-7310sx/

Mitch =
7310: Length 17 1/2, Height filter cover 9 1/4, Height handle 11 1/8, Width 8 1/8, Height handle 12 3/4
572: Length 17 3/4, Height filter cover 9 1/4, Height handle 10 3/8, Width 8, Height handle 11 1/2

He already made a full wrap for the 7310 too.

e7310weight.jpg

How is Echo meeting the EPA regs with a conventional 2-stroke and a regular old user adjustable carb? If they can bring this to market, why can't/won't Stihl and Husky do it?
Not only EPA but this is another "global" engine, as every continent has slightly different limits.
15 years ago Husky was very loud in their tech trainings that no conventional engine would be able to pass anything without strato (which they bought back then with Zenoah) or expensive catalyst.
Guess what, with some hard work and charge swirl control it was and still is doable. Sure, it takes more ports and complicated timing, but it's still doable.

As for other manufacturers - once your engineers get experience how to replace unburnt fuel droplets in exhaust with clean air, why waste the time&money and re-educate them on swirl control? :)

Its like Diesel vs Big Block gas. The diesel will lug down and piss torque....but the big block can make more horsepower at a higher rpm...you can play with gearing to do the same job on the diesel, at the cost of mechanical advantage.

The 800 is a torque monster that makes power at a lower rpm, could probably go 1 pin higher and get chain speed up..

The 7310p is a winder...

The Husqvarna 390xp is still available. It is more cc's what 15 or so.
To examine this first it would be helpful to compare the clean air index tags that come with the Husky and Stihl 70cc ish offerings.
Then understand if there is some sort of fleet averaging that comes into play.
Then understand if there is some sort of pollution credit market, it is written that Tesla would not be profitable if it was not for selling credits. I do not know if this is true but it is out there.
It might also be helpful to look at the dyno thread for this size class chainsaw posted on this site and the competing site that I can find.

You can make good power and not get crazy with emissions devices, but pass emissions.

Example...02-04 Z06 made 405hp factory, had 2 cats, no pup cats...and qualified as a LEV (Low Emissions Vehicle) that got 32mpg hwy...and we found out later that GM left room, they could have pushed it to 425hp and still had room to pass emissions. A tight well designed engine and a smart tune. This was a time when Ford was running 4 cats, making 260hp and barely passing emissions...

The Husqvarna 390xp is still available. It is more cc's what 15 or so.
To examine this first it would be helpful to compare the clean air index tags that come with the Husky and Stihl 70cc ish offerings.
Then understand if there is some sort of fleet averaging that comes into play.
Then understand if there is some sort of pollution credit market, it is written that Tesla would not be profitable if it was not for selling credits. I do not know if this is true but it is out there.
It might also be helpful to look at the dyno thread for this size class chainsaw posted on this site and the competing site that I can find.
This is true to US EPA system but there are no exceptions or credits for EU market.
Only Stage 5 certified units are allowed since January 2019.
7310 passes that limit with some margin.

Here’s an entire EPA list with their out-of-box dyno/testing/emissions results:
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2020-01/small-nonroad-spark-ignition-2011-present.xlsx

Yes, 800P does produce less POWER as an actual SI system physical number (which is force x speed or torque x rpms in engine terminology).
This is obviously not easy for everyone to understand and sometimes a bit sad to read across the enthusiast threads.

800P has simply SLOWER engine which has a torque drop-off at higher RPMs therefore it can theoretically cut thicker stuff with longer bar but if you cut something average 7310 will be faster.
In simple terms anywhere above 8700RPM 7310 has more torque while below those RPMs 800P has naturally more of it.
So how do you know this as fact? Are there dyno numbers or at least GOOD compression in wood?

Latest posts

Back