460 vs 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand, surely they're pretty different - certainly in terms of cc and weight. The 460 is just plain bigger, so will of course have more power, torque and mass. But I don't follow your logic - you'd take the 440 over the 441 cos the 441 is heavier with no supposed power gain (well maybe some would disagree either way). the 372 is lighter, but at the cost of quite a few cc's and therefor grunt.

so you'd be using different reasoning there...

Surely the questions a simple one, do you need the power of the 460 over the 372? If so it's a no brainer. If not why not compare it with the 441 - as that's the direct competitor. I guess that's also an easy choice though...

The 385 is a good compairison with the 460.

But this about the 460 and the 372.
I would take the 372 over the 460 because of the weight. Oh sure there are times you will need a little more horses but, not that many times around here atleast.
the 372 will cut the same tree down as a 460.
In the long run I would be more productive with the lighter saw of the two.

Here we go again....:)
Well all I can offer is this, I like my 372 a lot and I have used it a lot for the medium sized trees (18-32") we have around here but I have never used a 460 never owned a Stihl even.

My buddy who has a firewood business uses a 460 magnum with a 20" bar as his big saw. Well last season he picked up my 372 to help me section an elm tree I just cut down, all he could say was "WOW that saw is amazingly fast compared to my Stihl I see why you like it so much".

Take that as an endorsment for the 372. I cant say one way or the other not having ever used a 460. I think both are top of the line saws and you couldnt go wrong with either. I will always favor Husky though! :)

edit:eek:ne more thing, I am still using my original air filter that came on the saw 15 years ago or so and he has to change his every year, my filter has never even looked bad I just shake it off now and then.

Kansas

Last edited:
Sheesh take the chain brake off learn to run a saw:rolleyes: Stick with
gadgets if you can't run the big dawgs lol!

LOL, you and your red buddies make a poll: 460 vs. 372 or 440 vs. 372. We have got to be the biggest group of saw nuts, should be fair. If you want to search the past polls, you will find the winner.:clap:

This could go on for a while.

I suggest you get both and be done with it

:wave:

Yes it does all come down to personal preference.
Then it comes down how you can handle that Saw.
Just like woman they all like to be handled different, To Hmmmm get the best preformance out of them.

At least the 372 never has a headache, and she didn't mind when I brought the Makita home. Furthermore, she happily accepts whatever I demand she wears or take off... I'll say she's very easy handling in comparison to, well, you know...

I can't count how many post that are in the serch, That say the 372 is better compaired with the 460.

And I can't find one serch that shows a person pulling a 372 apart trying to get it out of a pinch. Hmmmmmm

The 460 seemed like a underdog when Stihl had both the 440 and 460 selling side by side.
I would take the 440 over the 441 any day.
For the same reason I would take the 372 over the 460.

I believe you got it right, as usual! :clap: :clap:

Btw, the 460W was the last one to be deleted from my "short-list", before getting my 372xpg........

I believe the reason the 372 sometimes outcuts the 460 is because the 4-channel cylinder design makes it rev up better, and make more power above max hp rpms - with long bars and large wood, the Stihl surely will have the edge - but not a lot of that around here.......:

....and then there are the vibes and air filtration........

Last edited:
:confused: :confused: :confused:
The 372XP came out around 2000.

Oops I stand corrected you are correct sir! Someone else tried to point that out one time here but I am hard of hearing also! I saw your post so I dug out my owners manual and Ill be damned I actually bought that saw in Feb of 2001. Time just flys by when you get over 16!

So I guess the air filters arnt as great as I made them out to be :)

BTW thanks for pointing that out tapinhill without making me look too stupid.

Kansas

1999, and replaced the very similar 371xp from late 1995.......:)

Thanks SawTroll! I sure feel embarassed about that now but least I dont have to go get stiches over it, usually my mistakes cause me to bleed somewhere this will heal pretty quick!

Kansas

Thanks SawTroll! I sure feel embarassed about that now but least I dont have to go get stiches over it, usually my mistakes cause me to bleed somewhere this will heal pretty quick!

Kansas

I fail to see the reason that you are embarrased.......:confused:

Sorry I have a 372 and a 375K .........I own plenty of Huskys and I sure dont see what your saying......I own all brands and you call it BS ...Im just telling what my experience is......I guess owning and running that saw doesnt count to some people.......BTW ...I dont have a 460 anymore.......It met up with a 4960 JD and lost...........

Fact is Im not impressed with the 372XP and like some other models from other brands that I have owned its my view like it or not...

And to all the beloved Husky fans ...Dont forget the sunscreen for your saw or you might end up with a burnt orange.....

Behave yourself young man, hows dares you talk unkindly of the Queen of Saws, the 372, shame on you. Wait a minute, I got one of those dayumm things, haven't used it in so long I forgot I still had it. I got it sitting between a 441 and a 046, both of which are better saws hands down, they are built. 441 going on 3 years old, not one problem, 046 past 10 years old now, not a problem one, 372 was a problem right out the box. Runs good but needs diapers, heres why. This is about as poor a quailty as I have even seen in what is suppose to be a pro saw.

attachment.php

I do like my 346 though,LOLOL

Behave yourself young man, hows dares you talk unkindly of the Queen of Saws, the 372, shame on you. Wait a minute, I got one of those dayumm things, haven't used it in so long I forgot I still had it. I got it sitting between a 441 and a 046, both of which are better saws hands down, they are built. 441 going on 3 years old, not one problem, 046 past 10 years old now, not a problem one, 372 was a problem right out the box. Runs good but needs diapers, heres why. This is about as poor a quailty as I have even seen in what is suppose to be a pro saw.

attachment.php

I do like my 346 though,LOLOL

attachment.php

What the H3ll is that in the picture?????

Last edited:
attachment.php

What the H3ll is that in the picture?????

That is the oil hole in the case half azzed drilled out. Its beveled at the bottom which makes it impossible for the hole hose to seat and seal. Fix it means replace half the case or re-drill it or use super glue or pack it with doo glue or do what I did, park it,LOL

Back