461/576 dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTM

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I want a new saw. These two have been discussed but the info is a few years old and well my questions are not fully answered. The saw will wear a 28" bar, full comp RS chain. Max cut would be 24" oak/hickory/cherry. The 28" length is primarily for reach in tops that are down to avoid having to bend over so much but must balance well and pull with authority in the mentioned wood. I have a 562 with @tlandrum right now being ported but that saw will will stay with a 20" bar. It appears that a 576 ported is close enough in price to a stock 461 - so how would they compare in performance for what I want?

Inboard. 576 is smoother, 460 is more powerful on paper but I don't notice it. Both weigh about the same and are a perfect match for a 28" bar. I prefer the 576 out of the two due to smoothness and autotune. If it were me I'd hold of for a 462cm, looks like the ticket on paper

I'd have to say that there are 4 other saws to consider in this weight range.
The stihl 462 and husky 572 are due soon(ish), how quickly you need a saw would be relevant. I would suspect that a lot of good saws may come up second hand when this happens which will complicate things further.

Also, the husky 390 is barely heavier than the 576/461. I have a 385 that Terry built and it's pretty amazing.

Another also is the dolmar 7910, I wouldn't doubt that the price of a ported one from Miller mod saws would be quite competitive.

For reference - I also have a 562 from Terry and it will pull and oil a 28" bar. They are a remarkably strong 60cc saw. It's not a great option with a 28, but will certainly get you out of strife while you decide. The balance is horrible with a standard rsn 28" bar. I'd seriously consider a stihl light 28" bar and an adapter as they are a great lightweight option. Significantly lighter than the sugi and tsumura lightweights, although they are also a good option.

All that aside, Terry has a good reputation for making a 576 sing, and while I haven't used one, I would very much like to.

Pic attached from when the chain adjuster broke on my 385. IMG_4646.JPG

Thanks for the replies that's some good info. I'm not needing the saw very soon. I hoping around Christmas. This gives me quite a bit to think about. One of each would be nice but that ain't gonna happen. Of all the saws mentioned I've only been able to hold the 576 and 461 at the dealers. The 576 felt better to me and seemed lighter.

I got a 461 and love it.....I am not a logger so I don't run it 7-8 hours at a time.....I do tree work on the side and heat with an OWB 6-months out of the year.....

I have had the 461 for about 2-years and I like it a lot....mine usually wears a 24"....I mostly cut hardwoods and the 461 runs the 24" buried in hardwood with zero issues....

I actually just got to put the 32" on it her few weeks ago....I was shocked, that with the bar buried it didn't bog at all.....the wood I was cutting with the 32" was silver maple, which I consider a soft wood....I definitely won't be afraid to put the 32" on next time I get into some bigger hard wood....

Since you already run husky it may be a good idea to follow suit......I just happen to run Stihl and I like the fact that I can run swap bars...

Keep us posted I am curious to hear what you think about the 576 if you decide to get it....

You're probably really asking about power - and I think the short answer is both are more than sufficient for a 28" bar.
The big difference will be in other areas, rubber av vs spring, air filtration, traditional carb vs auto tune. Except for filtration where the husky has an advantage (but may not be relevant for your conditions) I would consider the other two personal preference.

And anyway, you might always decide to get the 461 ported some time down the track!

After talking with some folks and perusing here I'm going to likely go with a Dolmar 7910 - my question, where can I handle one of these? What about parts? Online info seems suspiciously scant. Is it because of Dolmar/Makita transition?

After talking with some folks and perusing here I'm going to likely go with a Dolmar 7910 - my question, where can I handle one of these? What about parts? Online info seems suspiciously scant. Is it because of Dolmar/Makita transition?
I have never ran one of those, but damn they are a sweet looking saw for sure!!!!

Hard to beat a 365xt for the money. Grind the transfer covers open the muffler and remove the base gasket... you can add a set of big dawgs and wrap handle for what 30 or 40$??? I run a 28" on mine... pulls very well.

Back