"461 Mufler Question"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll definitely want to open up or remove that cage.
Brad ... This sounds terrible, I know, but I assume the "cage" is the internal box in the inside the muffler. (If you have a min). Are you referring to removing the entire thing ? Or like the following member asked if Drilling a few holes would suffice...?

Thank You!

I would suggest to remove the entire thing. That baffle restricts the exhaust flow. by the looks of it more so than the stock baffle. You will see the most gains from an open can. It's more work but definitely worth it

How does the dp cover affect the pressure wave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You'll definitely want to open up or remove that cage.

very strange that one aye. 460 style muff with a 660 style baffle cage. pretty ******, i bet they even furnace brazed it in so no easy spot weld grind to remove like in a OEM 660. hopefully he has an OEM back half on the saw right now and only needs that front cover.

very strange that one aye. 460 style muff with a 660 style baffle cage. pretty ******, i bet they even furnace brazed it in so no easy spot weld grind to remove like in a OEM 660. hopefully he has an OEM back half on the saw right now and only needs that front cover.
Yes "he" has the back half...but I got tools to take it out, if I get to feel froggy and all...

I meant to ask you, did you remove that cage completely or drill holes in it??
That brand i posted has the main can completely open and large outlet with a dual port cover. There's nothing to do but bolt it on. The style you have just cut the baffle completely out

I have mine, but I have been covered up in work and haven't put it on....it came in a raisman box like @Okielumberjack did...

I will take pics tomorro....2-days if using a manual stump grinder and my back is killing me lol...

I've ever done a 461, but I've done many 440/460.

You can just open a hole in the internal baffle, it's faster than removing it.

I prefer the baffle to direct the exhaust forward. It pushes it more towards the front cover which allows swirl and noise wave cancelling.

I open the starter side with a @Red97 deflector, open the factory PTO side opening and wrap it, and maintain the closed front.

I'm all for noise IF it increases performance. I'm not for it just for the sake of noise, I'd like it to be a quiet as it can be without robbing performance.

Here's what mine look like.

IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0111.JPG IMG_0113.JPG IMG_0119.JPG

Believe it or not, the above mod isn't any louder than a factory DP setup with the larger PTO outlet and no screens. It flows a lot more and the sound is less irritating for some reason. I believe it has to do with the direction of flow.

You don't need to cap the PTO side, but capping it reduces noise a bit and stops the staining of the case near where the SN is (I hate that).

Back