49SP and 70E Build From Scratch.......or Scratches!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to try and chronical the resurection/rebuilding of my old friend....my original 49SP that I bought new in 1977 and was worked to death literally, piston worn completely out and the crank out of alignment. This saw put food on the table...wood in the stoves for four consecutive yrs and then did duty with a (different) 70E selective cutting saw logs for my sawmill through the eighties.
That said it seemed right that I do these both together as, for the span of ten yrs or so my 49 was not out of the company of it's biger brother..hardly ever.

This saw has lived in the pile known as "Many Jred 49SP parts saws" in my sig for a long time....to long...and for the will to bother with this old saw I have to thank everyone here, as I never would have thought I would bother to build a saw you can''t get parts for until I joined this site......not sure what that says about us but ...Thanks..all the same...

Also this is a 70E that I got off ebay from the PNW..nice looking saw but once in my posession was found that some bonehead had used a round shank screwdriver in through the EX port for a piston stop.....the result was a divit being forced out (in actually) from the top of the port, gouging a 1/8" deep and 1/8" wide trench down the entire side of the piston (that still had the machine marks I might add) breaking the ring at the same time, the first time they tried to start it. Then I found that the PTO side main bearing had up and down play so both sets of cases must come apart the 70E for new mains and the 49 for a used crank and new mains as well.

This project will not happen overnight...I have to be in the right frame of mind and have the time to work on these saws, I do have all the parts and I am patient and you may have to be too. It will probably take me longer to post text and pics than it will to build the saws. These saws I know about..some...this computer...not so much. So please bear with me...I have no clue how to imbed pics so you will just have to click unless some kind soul lends a hand.

Description of pics.

004 Husky Case splitter

005,006 Splitting My 49SP

007 The Crankshaft Donor Saw

010 Pulling The Clutch On donor Saw

More to follow.....

This is the second set.

011 is cracking the donor saw

012 The donor crankshaft

008 pulling oil pump drive gear and main bearing 49SP

013 Cleaned up 49Sp cases on Bench

014 interior of 49SP tanks

Notice how clean those tanks are on that 49SP...LOLOL she didn't sit around much with fuel aboard LOLO!! The only problem with the paint in the tank is where the fuel filter chafed through...you can even see where it sat while felling...worn up on the side of the tank!!

Cantdog, I'm looking forward to following this thread. I have both saws, and probably enough 49SP parts to get one complete and running. Your comments about worn down piston do have me wondering about :msp_unsure: some pistons that slide into the cylinders way too easily.

BTW, that's one very nice shop you have! I'm envious :msp_drool:.

Fourth and final set (for now)

020 The pair side shot

021 The pair front

022 The pair clutch side

024 70E with crankshaft and new main bearings

025 49Sp with "new" donor crankshaft and new main bearings

Everything is cleaned and case joints are lapped and cleaned . Ready to install the case gaskets and crankshafts and on to rebuilding and reinstalling the oil pumps in the next installment LOL!!!

What was your powerhead holder in its previous life?

It was what it is....LOL Got it from ebay from a closed saw dealer in the PNW..it works wicked good but not a name or number anywhere but it was designed as a saw powerhead holder.....it even has allowance for the chain adjuster pin to clear...a bit tight on the 49 sized saws but is just right on the bigger stuff...

Pretty cool that you're doing these together. They'll make a nice pair when done.

I've built a bunch of 49's and a few 70's, but never to the point of having to split the cases. Always had enough parts saws that it wasn't necessary. But I understand the extra effort when it comes to your long time personal saw.

Great project, and I'll have fun folowwing along.

You may have noticed that the 49SP and the 70E, though rather different in size share a lot of the same design features and general shape. They also actually share a number of parts, some large, some small. This was the bussiness plan of the old Jonsereds Mfg Co. which was shared by some other large industrial firms such as Detroit Diesel, OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) and others. Simply put, the plan called for the companys to offer as many different models/sizes/HP ratings as needed utilizing as many common parts as possible to keep production costs down. On Jonsereds from this era, some parts, such as the upper trigger handle, trigger itself and trigger lock along with AV rubbers were common parts on all models from the 49SP all the way up through the 90, with the exception being the 621 that sported it's own special trigger/handle system and shared that with no other models. Many other small parts were shared and I will attempt to point these out as I proceed. ( for those that actually care!! LOL!!) This built in feature makes working on and building these saws that have been out of production for quite a while, and practically all parts are NLA a bit less daunting.:cheers:

Pretty cool that you're doing these together. They'll make a nice pair when done.

I've built a bunch of 49's and a few 70's, but never to the point of having to split the cases. Always had enough parts saws that it wasn't necessary. But I understand the extra effort when it comes to your long time personal saw.

Great project, and I'll have fun folowwing along.

Thanks Bob.........I am trying to be as accurate as possible but if I misstate some facts jump in with corrections as needed....I am sure I'll be hearing from Niko from time to time too. LOLOL!!!! I am no expert and don't even play one on TV!!!

Cantdog, I'm looking forward to following this thread. I have both saws, and probably enough 49SP parts to get one complete and running. Your comments about worn down piston do have me wondering about :msp_unsure: some pistons that slide into the cylinders way too easily.

BTW, that's one very nice shop you have! I'm envious :msp_drool:.

Thanks Chris J. My shop is a lifelong collection and is a pretty neat (as in cool...not without mess!!) place to work. Lots of natural light and plenty of overhead lighting too. It is difficult (near impossible) to work on wood and metal projects in the same space/place. I am sure as this progresses you will get to see other parts of the shop such as my old canadian built "Free Flow" wood stove that heats the 3,500 sqft of floor space to 70 degrees effortlessly on about 3 1/2 cord of hardwood per yr. My shop also has radiant in floor heat that is oil fired and works well to but oil is just so darn expensive.......and I have all these saws....and my own on site wood lot....:cheers:

Well we all lucked out......rain today so after job tasks were done I got an hour or so to get back to these saws. Cleaned and outfitted both oil pumps and adjusters with new OEM o-rings and installed the cranks in both clutch side case halves using my special Jonsereds kiln... Also got the cases together on the 49SP but ran out of time to do the 70E...but ready non the less. The next set of pics follows.

026 This is the 49SP flywheel side in the ultra specialized Jonsereds kiln.

027 This is the same as above except it's the flywheel side of the 70E

028 is the Pair of case halves with cranks installed and case bolts that have been cleaned "heads and threads"

021 same shot but a bit sideways

023 case halves with bolts and rebuilt oil pumps ready to be put together.

It was what it is....LOL Got it from ebay from a closed saw dealer in the PNW..it works wicked good but not a name or number anywhere but it was designed as a saw powerhead holder.....it even has allowance for the chain adjuster pin to clear...a bit tight on the 49 sized saws but is just right on the bigger stuff...

I am sure it works great, certainly very sturdy looking and well made.

Latest posts

Back